Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All Ford Models
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
taffg
Hi all, just had a new workmate who as just left a ford main dealership, after working as a mechanic. One little pearl of ford wisdom he told me today was that ford have just about finished a software program, that will be introduced within europe in the next two years. The purpose of this software is to put the vehicle into limp home mode on an annual basis so that you have to take your car to the main dealership for its service. Somewhat flabbergasted i muttered a few expletives and said you must be joking! nope he replied its a fact known throughout the dealership franchise. By the way he left ford because they had to fix cars in the allotted time scale, and get onto the next. If the car was still showing problems he was told not to worry as they will come back with it, and they can start the bill again. If both points above are indicative ford then im afraid the blue oval will never grace my driveway again, once the old mk1 has passed away. Comments!
btmaldon
I think the popular press would be interested in this.

Anybody from Ford wish to comment?
jig
[quote name='btmaldon' timestamp='1302121707' post='121928']
I think the popular press would be interested in this.

Anybody from Ford wish to comment?
[/quote]
I can well believe the second part about only working on a car for so long,the software part I have trouble with.If it came to light Ford would be destroyed.
PumpkinSteve
:huh: so...how are you supposed to get your car to the dealership after it goes into limp mode??
btmaldon
Presumably we would have to limp to the garage.

Well I think it will be a case of more people moving awaty from Ford for their servicing needs, at least once the warranty has run out.

It would destroy Ford if this type of behaviour got out as suggested above. The issue about not completing the work will also damage them as this could be extremely dangerous if not breaching Trades Description laws.
cyb
[quote name='taffg' timestamp='1302035064' post='121780']
Hi all, just had a new workmate who as just left a ford main dealership, after working as a mechanic. One little pearl of ford wisdom he told me today was that ford have just about finished a software program, that will be introduced within europe in the next two years. The purpose of this software is to put the vehicle into limp home mode on an annual basis so that you have to take your car to the main dealership for its service. [/quote]

A some what controversial idea at least and you really think Ford have told this ‘little pearl of wisdom’ to your local mechanic?
taffg
I have no reason to disbelieve this new workmate, i work for a refining company and he left his dealership disenfranchised by the level of pressure put on the mechanics at the dealership. He is one of four who have left over the recent past, and has joined us as an improver to convert his trade, if after three months and he shows no signs of being able to convert to the differing types of equipment at a refinery then he will loose his job. In todays climate i think this speaks volumes for his honesty, integrity and personal motivation so i have no reason to disbelieve his statement. I have only passed on this information to a wider network so believe it or not! hopefully it will illicit a response from someone higher up the ford food chain, and as we all know if you are in the trade of anything you learn of things long before 'joe public'. :)
jeebowhite
Well, if there is nothing but truth to this, then I am glad I walked away from Ford, that is disgusting! If my car did that for no reason, I would have probably driven it into there dealership and claimed faulty brakes... At least it would make my "limp home" visit worth while...

I cant wait for Joe Public, or John Media to get hold of this! as soon as it becomes common knowledge, I wonder how many people will place there blue oval where Ford UK's sun never shines?
taffg
am trying to get some more info about this from my workmate, he cannot remember the name of the project but it was featured in a ford in house magazine. he also believes two other major manufacturers are also looking down the same path. will update when i can.

Full Colour Version: All Ford Models
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615