Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tappin Noise
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
hardy1812
hi guys,
i've noticed that when my car warms up it sounds tappy on idle, it super quiet when i start it, but then gets this noise but it does disappear if i build up the revs a little, it's a major problem....I'm gunna change the oil n filter to good quality one,(Well some halfords one that say it for a ford 5w 30)is there any other underlyin problems to worry about,,,,Thxs ian
johnS
[quote name='hardy1812' timestamp='1304154672' post='125007']
hi guys,
i've noticed that when my car warms up it sounds tappy on idle, it super quiet when i start it, but then gets this noise but it does disappear if i build up the revs a little, it's a major problem....I'm gunna change the oil n filter to good quality one,(Well some halfords one that say it for a ford 5w 30)is there any other underlyin problems to worry about,,,,Thxs ian
[/quote]

Look under the hood and see if the engine is vibrating/shaking, is it?
hardy1812
had a look and all seem fine, to be honest i'd say it's a more ov an engine tap i mean like the tappets are dry,,,but wot do i know lol i just drive teleporter fork trucks all day,,,,thats why i'm here askin you professionals,, hope that don't sound like takin the schmichael,,,don't wanna offend anyone lol
starfield
[quote name='hardy1812' timestamp='1304154672' post='125007']
hi guys,
[/quote]

I once had a Renault Megane with exactly the same problem as you described. I never managed to find a solution to the problem, I even replaced all 16 tappets with new ones. This did reduce the tapping but did not cure it. I drove it for 2 years / around 20k miles with the radio on and loud.
I eventually sold the car because of so many other problems typical of a Renault.
Hopefully changing the oil will cure the problem in your case, but what i am saying is that you can drive a car with tapping tappets for some time.

Full Colour Version: Tappin Noise
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.