Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powered Steering
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
shaunyg
ok so forgive me if this is a dumb question but does the 2010 focus tdci not have a powered steering reservoir? i've looked under the bonnet and looked in the oweners manual but says 'not required' in the section about checking levels etc can anyone tell me where it is?
stef123
[quote name='shaunyg' timestamp='1305229892' post='126970']
ok so forgive me if this is a dumb question but does the 2010 focus tdci not have a powered steering reservoir? i've looked under the bonnet and looked in the oweners manual but says 'not required' in the section about checking levels etc can anyone tell me where it is?
[/quote]

i cant say for sure but theres a possibility that it has electric power steering
jeebowhite
Im sure it has the electric motor power steering. which is why you wont have a reservoir. :)
shaunyg
thanks very much, i'll check but i'm sure it prob will be now. not known of electric powered steering before, this is new to me :)
jeebowhite
Apparently its just an electric motor., compared to the whole hydraulic pump, fluid and lines, this is just one single motor. Apparently by using this, you can even save about 3 MPG because its lighter and more easy to use! :)

http://www.carblogindia.com/electric-power-steering-vs-hydraulic-power-steering/
shaunyg
hmmmm while having the nearside headlight out i found the powered steering reservoir, pretty much directly below it! :huh:
starfield
Can you top it up if the level goes down?
shaunyg
[quote name='starfield' timestamp='1305565101' post='127544']
Can you top it up if the level goes down?
[/quote]

not overly sure, i only noticed it and dint really pay much attention to it, too busy juggling my light lol will have another look when my next set of bulbs arrive and i fit them
jeebowhite
So they put the power steering fluid reservoir, below a headlight unit, where you cant really check the fluid levels, without removing the headlight assembly?

Did I just make that up, or are the Newer Foci built by evil / mad scientists?
Nigel S
It should be maintenance free. It's under there to make (well meaning) tampering at home more difficult.
paramaniac
The power steering consists of an electric motor which pumps the steering fluid to move the steering rack. This fluid is in a reservior attached to the end of the motor and doesn't need to be topped up/maintained.

I know this because the electric motor failed on my 2006 1.8 TDCI and I had to replace it.

Looks like this:
paramaniac
[quote name='shaunyg' timestamp='1305563076' post='127536']
hmmmm while having the nearside headlight out i found the powered steering reservoir, pretty much directly below it! :huh:
[/quote]

I think this is only on some models.
jeebowhite
so if you were to ever develop a leak, and you didnt know where to find this reservoir...

I think Nigel S hit it on the head "home tampering" aka Fords way of saying "Loss of earnings for an easy job..."

Full Colour Version: Powered Steering
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615