Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uneven Idle
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
MARLEY
A small problem which i cant solve is the uneven tickover on my focus 2.0l tdi.
It is more noticable when engine is warm and i have tried egr cleaner and contact cleaner on airflow meter.
Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Paul
jeebowhite
Have you done a "basic service" replacing the fuel, oil, and air filter, checking fluid levels? is it more uneven under acceleration, or is it just under idle?
MARLEY
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1306483543' post='129239']
Have you done a "basic service" replacing the fuel, oil, and air filter, checking fluid levels? is it more uneven under acceleration, or is it just under idle?
[/quote]
Thanks for reply, yes fuel oil and air all done, its a little lumpy on tickover only,(every 5 seconds or so) more noticable when engine is warm.

Thanks again
Paul
digidash
hi, please give full car details including year and mileage, thanks steve
MARLEY
[quote name='digidash' timestamp='1306532410' post='129360']
hi, please give full car details including year and mileage, thanks steve
[/quote]

hi steve
its a focus 2007 2.0l tdci and its got 54000 on the clock.

thanks
paul
digidash
hi, there is a known issue with throttle body o ring not fitted correctly when car made. also tps connectors. i would buy new o ring and a tin of carb cleaner....remove throttle body, clean and replace using new o ring ( part no 1 672 335) and a smear of grease to help seal. this is a cheap solution but could be anything from cam/crank sensor to an ecu, regards steve
MARLEY
[quote name='digidash' timestamp='1306587937' post='129414']
hi, there is a known issue with throttle body o ring not fitted correctly when car made. also tps connectors. i would buy new o ring and a tin of carb cleaner....remove throttle body, clean and replace using new o ring ( part no 1 672 335) and a smear of grease to help seal. this is a cheap solution but could be anything from cam/crank sensor to an ecu, regards steve
[/quote]

Thanks again for your info Steve
Where is throttle body located and where shall i use the carb cleaner ? (its a diesel)

Paul
digidash
this is what it looks like..you will see it bolts to intake and has a fat rubber pipe pushed on and jubilee clipped. clean inside and butterfly flap to remove black crap. you can open flap with your hands.

1 make sure ignition off
undo/unbolt and disconnect unit
clean thouroughly
clean mating surface on intake
apply light spear of grease
fit new gasket
refit bolts finger tight then tighten em a bit at a time going from one to the one diagnally opposite like wheel nuts being EXTRA CAREFULL NOT TO OVER TIGHTEN as a stripped thread will make the job 10 times harder and 10 times more expensive!!

consider a local garage will probably do this for 20 ish

remember this may not cure it but it wont do any harm and as it costs pennies to do try cheap fixes first, regards steve
Power of Dreams
Hi I have 2008 1.8 TDCI which will just stick on 150rpm whilst the car is moving, a bit disconcerting in traffic and around corners I have read the various posts on this subject and tried to locate the idle control valve etc without luck, so I'm resorting to buying a Haynes manual. I have had a look at all the hoses etc nothing appears split, any suggestions for someone who is new to Ford Diesels
artscot79
stick at 150rpm do you mean 1500 rpm if so i can see why its disconcerting the butterfly valve in the throttle can get coked up and cause it to stick open slightly cleaning it will sort the issue.
if it was an icv issue you would get it more at idle a very uneven idle bouncing up and down
Tim Chapman
I seem to have the same issue with a 2007 2.0TDCI 53000 miles. (oil changed, air and fuel filter all replaced in the past few months)

I've looked a the throttle housing and can see what looks like a green seal behind it as one of the bolts doesn't look as tight as the others. - Is this the known build issue?

I've checked with a ford dealer and they don't show an o-ring or seal, mines a NON-DPF if this makes a difference.

Thanks

Tim
MARLEY
[quote name='Tim Chapman' timestamp='1334827920' post='178491']
I seem to have the same issue with a 2007 2.0TDCI 53000 miles. (oil changed, air and fuel filter all replaced in the past few months)

I've looked a the throttle housing and can see what looks like a green seal behind it as one of the bolts doesn't look as tight as the others. - Is this the known build issue?

I've checked with a ford dealer and they don't show an o-ring or seal, mines a NON-DPF if this makes a difference.

Thanks

Tim
[/quote]Hi Tim
Have you any pics of where throttle housing is situated? will have a look to see if mine is loose.

Many Thanks
Paul

Full Colour Version: Uneven Idle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.