Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Esp Switch
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Preee
I just wondered if i got an ESP switch like on the ST , does anyone know if the wire's exsist next to the rear demister switch , i know i can turn it off via the trip computer , but i'd reather be able to switch it via a dedicated switch like on the ST.I don't want to try and get the panel off it there's not wiring there.
jeebowhite
Apparently (from previous threads) there is some wiring behind there, but as to what it is for, is unknown!
Preee
At the weekend i'll figure out how to get the switches off and take a look , been looking on fleabay for a switch , but not founf one yet
jeebowhite
Yeah, it could well be worth while, but its just trying to work out what that wiring is for if its not the ESP...?
johnH
ive had this out for my LED change. there is 2 wires attached. from what i can tell is that a button can be fitted but it will need activating by the dealership tool.
Preee
[quote name='johnH' timestamp='1307553922' post='130947']
ive had this out for my LED change. there is 2 wires attached. from what i can tell is that a button can be fitted but it will need activating by the dealership tool.
[/quote]

If i mangae to get it out i will put a meter on it and use computer to switch it on and off see if i get any change there or like you say may need activating.

But still trying ot locate a switch at the moment.
Preee
Hmmm having not pulled one of these apart before, i looked in a haynes manual and the upto date manual! only shows how to get the front off to get to the stereo on 2005/2009 and not facelift.
Has anyone done a readme on how to get to the stereo and of course the heated screen buttons so i can check if the wiring is there before i order an ESP bitton.
Don't want to break anything this early in having hte car :lol:
Preee
Ok finally got out there with my screwdrivers
Small guide hope it helps people. Also how to remove the radio mk3

First of all to remove the radio bezel.Using a flat head screwdriver wrapped with a duster to stop damage.
starting fron the underneath bottom .point A inserting the screw driver and twisting starts to prize bottom away. Then moving to point B insert from below again twisting the flat head screwdriver .While also applying gentle pulling pressure until bezel is clear of heater controls.
Moving to point C while still applying pulling pressure insert between dash and radio bezel prize forward until bezel unclips. Take your time !

You can undo the 4 radio retaining screws to remove the radio.

ok to check if wiring for ESP ! or what ever it's for.
You can use a flat head screwdriver to actually prize the buttons free no need to remove all of this at all , anyway inquisitive mind so i continued.
Found 4 wire's coming from ESP location so i guess the wires are there and now im hoping that just like the fiesta post that placing a switch in there will allow me to manually switch off ESP without having to go into the trip computer. ESP is fitted to my car.

Left switch = 2 wires i think these are for the passenger air bag light OFF!

Right hand switch = 4 wires ,i think these are dual purpose, for ESP and CC roof control.

Removing the 2 screws above the switches allow for the extraction on the switches.

So all i have to do now is get an ESP switch and of course test! it.

Hope this small guide helps others in checking thier own switch and i will of course update when i get a switch and test it. Fingers crossed :D
Regards
Paul
Preee
Ordered the switch and pick it up tomorrow, just got to hope that its silver in colour to match the others. 13.67 fingers crossed
artscot79
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1308321517' post='132191']
Ordered the switch and pick it up tomorrow, just got to hope that its silver in colour to match the others. 13.67 fingers crossed
[/quote]

im lead to believe the wiring is there but the software is not in the ecu software can be put in but ive heardit costs a fair bit
Preee
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1308321694' post='132192']
im lead to believe the wiring is there but the software is not in the ecu software can be put in but ive heardit costs a fair bit
[/quote]

I have my fingers crossed , that its linked to the stork control , as i can turn ESP off via the computer. But nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm working on the hunch that as a manual switch is already able to switch it on and off via trip computer settings then the wiring may! also be live. ;) .If not then next service i'll say check that switch out , why is it not working haha.
artscot79
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1308326524' post='132202']
I have my fingers crossed , that its linked to the stork control , as i can turn ESP off via the computer. But nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm working on the hunch that as a manual switch is already able to switch it on and off via trip computer settings then the wiring may! also be live. ;) .If not then next service i'll say check that switch out , why is it not working haha.
[/quote]

i may be wrong but thats the usual ford system to have all the wiring but not the software
Preee
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1308334029' post='132219']
i may be wrong but thats the usual ford system to have all the wiring but not the software
[/quote]

:( Your 100% correct , button does not disable the ESP , next service i'll ask for a quote , tested the cables and no power to them at all.
Oh well looks nice :rolleyes:
artscot79
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1308398912' post='132279']
:( Your 100% correct , button does not disable the ESP , next service i'll ask for a quote , tested the cables and no power to them at all.
Oh well looks nice :rolleyes:
[/quote]

thought as much thats usually how ford foes it you may find that it will be around 300 plus whatever it would cost to have it added as an extra is what they would charge
Preee
Well if thats the case then it will remain a decoration :lol:. Strange how its already enabled on the Fiesta and not on the focus :huh:
johnH
another reason i want to buy ford igs, enable features such as this...
Preee
[quote name='johnH' timestamp='1308437936' post='132350']
another reason i want to buy ford igs, enable features such as this...
[/quote]

let me kow when you get it JohnH , i'll be sat in the car waiting lol.

Switch lights up with lights on ,so it half works haha
Preee
Ok finally went in and asked about the switch.
Responce i got was that it could not be done as it was part of the breaking system !. I said well is it not controlled by ECU ? they said NO!. So i asked why i could control it via the dash but not via a switch like on the ST?.
Basically i don't think they had any idea what they were talking about TBH. So i left.

They called me 30 minutes later and said their Tech guy will plug it in and see if its possible to activate the switch tomorrow morning , charging £37.50 for half hr labour , but said they may not be able to activate it , so i thought it was worth a blast and the only way to find out for sure, but i don't hold much hope if they had no clue in the first place. lol

So does anyone know if the switch would be controlled via the braking system or the ECU?

I'll report back tomorrow if it was a success or not :rolleyes:
johnH
well isnt the ABS controlled by a ABS ECU which in turn is controlled by the main ECU?

im saying that as ESP uses the ABS sensors etc.
Preee
JohnH.
TBH i don't think they had a clue , i will ask to speak to the Tech guy tomorrow before they check it over to make sure they know what i'm asking.
It's a pity it's not like the Fiesta as the wiring on them seem to work straight away , but i'm led to believe that this wire loom is also used to control the Roof on a CC so it has dual purpose , so it must go to the ECU , but it may not be as straight forward as activating it .
But i live in hope. haha

This was a message taken via a lady behind the desk who took note's on what i was asking, sent via young guy to Tech Guy. See where i'm coming from ? lol

Anyway i will find out tomorrow.
johnH
ok so let me plan a dialogue on whats happened

you - "hi, i was wondering if one of your guys could activate the ESP, as i have a switch installed just want to know if i can retrofit it?"

woman - "yeah i'll find out from our techs", goes to young lad "some bloke just rang about some thing needs activated as its switchy"

young lad to tech "that lass on the desk just asked if something can be turned on"

tech "yeah we will take a look"

and viola your at where your at pmsl

but yeh if you get this sorted right up a short guide :lol: keep us posted
Preee
Haha
Yes something like that. :lol:

Thats why i want to talk direct to the Tech Guy who will be operating the IDS or what ever its called haha.

No disrespect to the Lady behind the desk but i had the sinking feeling as soon as she came to me as the usual 2 guys there were serving other people.
This is a long standing Ford dealer , so i will see what happens.

As for the guide i did the install guide on page one already :D , so fingers crossed they can do it.
Preee
ok final conclusion is a NO! to the extra ESP switch for a Focus.

1)Focus has a central configuration in ECU "Fiesta does not" so it can't be activated via ECU unlike the Fiesta which is ON by default.

2)Could be programmed via ABS ECU

But!

3)They said new Law! states its illegal to add such a manual switch and would invalidate your insurance therefore they would not carry out the reprogramming.Even though you can manually turn it off anyway via the trip computer.So it will be interesting to see the new ST when it comes out to see if it has a manual ESP swtich.

They did not charge me the half hr labour so in all i lost the price of a switch trying so not too bad.
Fiesta owners that have carried out the MOD check your insurance , if it was not current at time of shipping it could have invalidated your insurance. (Words from Furrows Telford via Fork Uk phone conversation).
Oh well all i can say is i tried :D
johnH
ah that good old excuse for not wanting to loose money on installing an extra what would otherwise cost 300...proper chestnut that one.

heres what i mean, Peugeot turned around and said "no you cant retrofit cruise control, as you need the clutch and brake switch installed aswell and the fact it will need to be done pro as its a safety issue.." well a few of the memebers, inc me when i had my 307, laughed at this and bought the stalk from peugeot parts for 30! funnily enough we activated it on the dealership tool (peugeot planet) and it worked straight away.

they also say its illegal to remove your dpf and will invalidate your insurance, yeah but whos going to find out. :lol:

see what i mean, my motto is "if some apprentice at ford dealers can do it, so can i" obviously a cloned dealership tool, at the cost of 300 will help

Full Colour Version: Esp Switch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.