Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Focus Diesel
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
hubballi
I have a 1999 Focus some of you here may be familiar with :rolleyes: I have posted a few problems (boot no longer works, losing oil, high petrol consumption) and I have decided to buy a newer car. Because I like the drive, shape and feel of a Focus( Eccept for the obvious problems) I was thinking of a Focus Diesel but would like more advice of what kind to go for. Would a 1.6 be economical or are there others that are better ?

Thanks.
Sara Fiesta
I have 1.6 TDci 2009 its very good I average 600 miles a tank, I commute to work 35 miles each way a day mixed town and motorway driving the engine is not too bad it won't break any speed records but it's economical. I don't hang about and I did try a economical run for a week and the mpg went up considerably. The tax is 30 year The only thing mine has that's a bug bear is the diesel particle filter (added to later models) which needs additive top up every 37000 service (not sure of costs) and DPF changing at 75000 service costing nearly 1000 for the service. 
artscot79
[quote name='Sara Fiesta' timestamp='1308301040' post='132153']
I have 1.6 TDci 2009 its very good I average 600 miles a tank, I commute to work 35 miles each way a day mixed town and motorway driving the engine is not too bad it won't break any speed records but it's economical. I don't hang about and I did try a economical run for a week and the mpg went up considerably. The tax is 30 year The only thing mine has that's a bug bear is the diesel particle filter (added to later models) which needs additive top up every 37000 service (not sure of costs) and DPF changing at 75000 service costing nearly 1000 for the service. 
[/quote]

new modern diesels are not worth it the eloys fluid and dpf are simple examples when most petrols now can do 50mpg or more add in the high price of diesel and there is no point my old man got rid of his diesel after just 6 months from new and bought a petrol instead and returns good mpg 6 mpg less than the diesel but servicing is cheaper no dpf when they eventually fail. dpfs are useless for short trips and town driving ive seen them being replaced at less than 40k eloys is arond 55 quid-80 per litre usually takes 3 litres to fill it another issue is the fan running for up to ten minutes after the car is switched off this is caused by the dpf trying to regen at a bad time and can drain the battery a common pugeot issue of which the fiesta and focus tdi 1.6 engine is its not a ford engine this is official from ford and is in there handbook

[b]Diesel particulate filter (DPF)[size=2][url="http://www.ford-fiesta-manual.ru/fordfiesta-96.html"]Starting the engine[/url] / Diesel particulate filter (DPF)[/size][/b]
<br clear="all">

The DPF forms part of the emissions reduction systems fitted to your vehicle.

It filters harmful diesel particulates (soot) from the exhaust gas.

[b]Regeneration[/b]

[b]WARNING:
Do not park or idle your vehicle over dry leaves, dry grass or other combustible materials. The DPF regeneration process creates very high exhaust gas temperatures and the exhaust will radiate a considerable amount of heat during and after DPF regeneration, and after you have switched the engine off. This is a potential fire hazard.[/b]

Unlike a normal filter which requires periodic replacement, the DPF has been designed to regenerate, or clean itself to maintain operating efficiency. The regeneration process takes place automatically. However, some driving conditions mean that you may need to support the regeneration process.

If you drive only short distances or your journeys contain frequent stopping and starting, occasional trips with the following conditions could assist the regeneration process:

Drive your vehicle, preferably on a main road or motorway, for up to 20 minutes avoiding prolonged idling, but always observing speed limits and road conditions.

Do not switch off the ignition.

Use a lower gear than normal to maintain a higher engine speed during this journey, where appropriate.

Eventually most DPF filters will become blocked due to poor regeneration although manufacturers estimate expected life well beyond what it is in reality.

Full Colour Version: Focus Diesel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.