Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Focus 2001 (Y) 2.0 Zetec Clutch Fault
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
mrshanemccarthy
Hiya All

My car is a 2001 (Y) reg bford focus 2.0 16v zetec

Well driving from work today and as i started pulling up the motorway hill my clutch started to ride on its own - revs went from 1500rpm to 3200rpm on car did not pick up as it usualy do, then the revs dropped as the clutch caught grip again

this happened now about 3 times today

Well when to a garage and they said check brake/clutch fluid is ok and it is, also said adjust clutch on pedal and that all ok to

so back to the garage and they said its time for a new clutch, to be honest the pedal do not feel right anyway and seems a slight bit heavy

Well what i want to know is can some 1 tell me how much work is included in a clutch change to do my self, i got experiance on cars i done head gaskets, changed engines
lol - never done a clutch while a gearbox still in the engine bay

i know i need to do

axle stand the car up,
fornt wheels off
undo and remove drive shafts
remoce all pipes ect
remove battery trat ect - easier access
undo gear box,

at this point do i remove the gear box or just pull it back a bit,
any special tool to align the clutch
how do i bleed the clutch as i will change the slave cylinder

how do i remove teh slave cylinder

any help or a quide, pics will be great
artscot79
[quote name='mrshanemccarthy' timestamp='1310494070' post='135649']
Hiya All

My car is a 2001 (Y) reg bford focus 2.0 16v zetec

Well driving from work today and as i started pulling up the motorway hill my clutch started to ride on its own - revs went from 1500rpm to 3200rpm on car did not pick up as it usualy do, then the revs dropped as the clutch caught grip again

this happened now about 3 times today

Well when to a garage and they said check brake/clutch fluid is ok and it is, also said adjust clutch on pedal and that all ok to

so back to the garage and they said its time for a new clutch, to be honest the pedal do not feel right anyway and seems a slight bit heavy

Well what i want to know is can some 1 tell me how much work is included in a clutch change to do my self, i got experiance on cars i done head gaskets, changed engines
lol - never done a clutch while a gearbox still in the engine bay

i know i need to do

axle stand the car up,
fornt wheels off
undo and remove drive shafts
remoce all pipes ect
remove battery trat ect - easier access
undo gear box,

at this point do i remove the gear box or just pull it back a bit,
any special tool to align the clutch
how do i bleed the clutch as i will change the slave cylinder

how do i remove teh slave cylinder

any help or a quide, pics will be great
[/quote]

ive done a few gearboxes but i didnt do my own zetec 1.8 and im glad cost 240 to get a full clutch kit done at ford inc slave cylinder first week the new slave cylinder popped a seal and the whole clutch kit had to be redone at there expense if it were me ide leave ford to do it just getting the odometer sensor out can be a mare and can break leaving a headache of a job the gearbox needs removed subframe needs dropped and wheels realigned ford also put new bolts etc in
stef123
I can't speak for the 1.8/2.0L set up but on the 1.4/1.6L the subframe doesn't need to be dropped and the gearbox can be removed or just pulled back.

to bleed the system it can be a pita so its best to pressure or vacuum bleed

A haynes manual probably wouldn't be the worst for a job like this, even if you only look at it for pointers.
jeebowhite
I agree with the above, but moreso with arts, for all the hassle, and the lack of saving by doing it yourself, your probably better leaving this one to Ford, at least they provide a warranty and responsibility over any problems that develop. you may be able to do it yourself easy enough, and you may save only a few quid, worst case scenario, you fit it, clutch goes wrong, new assembly required and your well out of pocket!

Its entirely your choice how to go forward but are you planning on buying a genuine Focus clutch, or are you looking at a used / non OEM?
stef123
Artscot, did you supply the parts for the price to be £240? the genuine parts alone come to £165? the 2 piece clutch kit is £95? and the release bearing is £70?
artscot79
[quote name='stef123' timestamp='1310573966' post='135795']
Artscot, did you supply the parts for the price to be £240? the genuine parts alone come to £165? the 2 piece clutch kit is £95? and the release bearing is £70?
[/quote]

sorry cocked that up checked the reciept 350 it was inc vat and no ford supplied the parts full ford clutch kit which was clutch pressure plate release bearing and slave cylinder as well as renewing the brake/clutch fluid and gearbox oil as the diff had to be removed the genuine clutch kit that they use has everything in it mentioned nothing seperate

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615