Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
johnS
Hi,

I'm confused, a while ago back in like late March, I had a clutch slip. E.g - Flooring it in 4th gear at 30mph the revs would increase and wouldnt accelerate. Later I came home and tried to recreate the symptoms, didnt work, held well. A few days later I even went up quite a steep hill in 4th gear at 40 mph and it was accelerating still with no slip at all.

Never had the same symptoms again. I've tried everything to get it to do it but it doesnt

So i'm confused, I thought clutchs were supposed to get worse when they start to slip. It's still bugging me though, and I cant seem to get to them bottom of it

Any ideas?
stef123
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1311524686' post='137196']
Hi,

I'm confused, a while ago back in like late March, I had a clutch slip. E.g - Flooring it in 4th gear at 30mph the revs would increase and wouldnt accelerate. Later I came home and tried to recreate the symptoms, didnt work, held well. A few days later I even went up quite a steep hill in 4th gear at 40 mph and it was accelerating still with no slip at all.

Never had the same symptoms again. I've tried everything to get it to do it but it doesnt

So i'm confused, I thought clutchs were supposed to get worse when they start to slip. It's still bugging me though, and I cant seem to get to them bottom of it

Any ideas?
[/quote]

it has possibly been contaminated with something that has since burnt off?
johnS
[quote name='stef123' timestamp='1311540176' post='137221']
it has possibly been contaminated with something that has since burnt off?
[/quote]

could/does this happen?
stef123
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1311540983' post='137223']
could/does this happen?
[/quote]

I would have thought that once the clutch has become contaminated (which can happen) that its knackered and needs replaced but i dare say it can burn off. not sure what would cause the contamination though.
johnS
[quote name='stef123' timestamp='1311541250' post='137224']
I would have thought that once the clutch has become contaminated (which can happen) that its knackered and needs replaced but i dare say it can burn off. not sure what would cause the contamination though.
[/quote]

I see, thanks

Is there any good tests?
jeebowhite
Nothing more than you have already done really. the old slip test, i.e. toes firmly on brake pedal heel on the gas, and let the car slowly slip into gear, if it bites near enough instant, it should be fine.
artscot79
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1311580877' post='137242']
Nothing more than you have already done really. the old slip test, i.e. toes firmly on brake pedal heel on the gas, and let the car slowly slip into gear, if it bites near enough instant, it should be fine.
[/quote]

mine did exactly the same in the end the clutch needed replaced
johnS
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1311668774' post='137362']
mine did exactly the same in the end the clutch needed replaced
[/quote]

how long did u get it to go tho
artscot79
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1311680028' post='137389']
how long did u get it to go tho
[/quote]

it went for a good 2000 miles before i had it changed ide wait till it gets worse
johnS
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1311701242' post='137427']
it went for a good 2000 miles before i had it changed ide wait till it gets worse
[/quote]
I reckon i've passed 2000 miles since it happened, though. And I did the 4th gear clutch test and it passed, it stalled
Drazha
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1311704799' post='137434']
I reckon i've passed 2000 miles since it happened, though. And I did the 4th gear clutch test and it passed, it stalled
[/quote]

Silly idea: maybe you just missed the gear and released the clutch, and nothing happened. Tends to happen to me quite a bit. But then again, I am a newbie driver :)
johnS
[quote name='Drazha' timestamp='1311851951' post='137637']
Silly idea: maybe you just missed the gear and released the clutch, and nothing happened. Tends to happen to me quite a bit. But then again, I am a newbie driver :)
[/quote]

haha I did think about this but I dont think so because I usually never miss a gear change lol
Drazha
[quote name='johnS' timestamp='1311855718' post='137659']
haha I did think about this but I dont think so because I usually never miss a gear change lol
[/quote]

keywords: usually, never

:)

I am saying simply because if it never happened before or after it, maybe its something as stupid as that?
johnS
[quote name='Drazha' timestamp='1311858887' post='137670']
keywords: usually, never

:)

I am saying simply because if it never happened before or after it, maybe its something as stupid as that?
[/quote]

yeah it could be lol, but it would have happened again if it was that!

Full Colour Version: Clutch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.