Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior Lighting
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
benrob93
Hi there, new member here so this forum maybe already up i dont know.

Could really do with some help with interior footwell lighting, i have a mk7 ford fiesta studio, i would like to fit some footwell lights in the car but not sure how to do so because the car doesnt already come with lower interior lights like the higher spec models and how to attatch any lights to a power source because these cars come with built in radio systems, any help would be greatly appreciated!
btmaldon
Have a look under the dash to check the bulb holders arent already in place. The last two Focus's I have bought had the holders already there. I just had to put the bulbs in.
jeebowhite
[quote name='benrob93' timestamp='1312151841' post='138165']
Hi there, new member here so this forum maybe already up i dont know.

Could really do with some help with interior footwell lighting, i have a mk7 ford fiesta studio, i would like to fit some footwell lights in the car but not sure how to do so because the car doesnt already come with lower interior lights like the higher spec models and how to attatch any lights to a power source because these cars come with built in radio systems, any help would be greatly appreciated!
[/quote]

Check the fottwells thoroughly, with any luck you should have the holders in place. Otherwise, go to the Focus Forums, they have a detailed thread there about MK2/2.5 Footwell lights, you might find something useful on there.
benrob93
okay cheers guys!,
i will go and have a look, and why the focus forums when its a fiesta?
benrob93
okay i've had a look and the fitting are there! woo, all i need to know now is what bulbs go in these, i would like some coloured ones if possible.
jeebowhite
Sorry the reason I said look at the Focus side is because it had pictures of the fittings! just so you could see the fittings and what its like, also for fitting any LED's should that have been the way you wanted to go!

Even though you are driving a Fez :)

Glad you got the fittings, I was hoping you would, but unfortunately I couldnt tell you what bulb it is, it should say in the manual though :)
benrob93
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1312317702' post='138434']
Sorry the reason I said look at the Focus side is because it had pictures of the fittings! just so you could see the fittings and what its like, also for fitting any LED's should that have been the way you wanted to go!

Even though you are driving a Fez :)

Glad you got the fittings, I was hoping you would, but unfortunately I couldnt tell you what bulb it is, it should say in the manual though :)
[/quote]

ahhh okayy i will go and check it out, andd okay sounds goood i think i think ive established which lights but i will double check in the manual just to be on the safe side, andd well its my first car so its not bad! aha
jeebowhite
[quote name='benrob93' timestamp='1312319823' post='138438']
ahhh okayy i will go and check it out, andd okay sounds goood i think i think ive established which lights but i will double check in the manual just to be on the safe side, andd well its my first car so its not bad! aha
[/quote]

Not too bad at all :) some people find they dont have the holders so they manually wired in some LED's instead, but you are lucky on this ocassion :)
btmaldon
I think the bulb size is 501 5W or similar. I did try putting in the blue ones, but they weren't bright enough. If you want the coloured ones, then you would probably have to go with LED's as suggested.
benrob93
so i went out today got some bulbs, they fitted correctly, 501's as suggested (W5W) but even though the wire are attached and seem to go somewhere behind the dash the lights wouldnt work, is this because there is no fuse or the wires arent attached at the fuse box?
jeebowhite
[quote name='benrob93' timestamp='1312405740' post='138545']
so i went out today got some bulbs, they fitted correctly, 501's as suggested (W5W) but even though the wire are attached and seem to go somewhere behind the dash the lights wouldnt work, is this because there is no fuse or the wires arent attached at the fuse box?
[/quote]

It should be wired into the same place as the map light, so if your map light works, it stands to reason that your footlights should work also, do you have a current going to them when the door is open (use an electricians screwdriver or multimeter to check!)

Worst case scenario the circuit needs enabling on the ECU.
benrob93
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1312445131' post='138577']
It should be wired into the same place as the map light, so if your map light works, it stands to reason that your footlights should work also, do you have a current going to them when the door is open (use an electricians screwdriver or multimeter to check!)

Worst case scenario the circuit needs enabling on the ECU.
[/quote]
i understand what you mean with the map light ( the main light that comes on in the roof when you open the doors) but ive just been out with an electricians screwdriver and couldnt get any connection :S hopefully its not to do with the ECU because that will be costly wouldnt it :/ ?
jeebowhite
It would mean a diagnostics at the least...

unfortunately thats what my gut is telling me anyway, so hopefully not. I cant remember if this scenario was covered in the Focus footwells thread I mentioned, may be worth taking another read through to see :)
benrob93
just to bring this back to life, still not got this sorted, the bulb holders are definatly there, there is definatly a wire going to the holders, now ive read about there might not be fuses in the fuse box for these lights, so can anyone show me a picture or describe which fuse, as i can see any numbers etc on my fuse box :S Also, when splicing/tapping into wires which wires do i splice for adding lights? oh ahhaah and another thing do all the interior panels just pull off? im scared of breaking them aha.

Full Colour Version: Interior Lighting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.