Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road Taxes
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Chat
Steve

Only a fraction of ‘road taxes’ like road fund duty and fuel duty actually get spent on the roads. Most is added to the general taxation pot. Should this be stopped? If not what would you like to see it spent on?

Danny87
I'd like to see it actually go on the roads! ;)

But seriously, I think more of the money could be invested into repairing pot holes etc. My area seems pretty bad and some of the roads have the same pot holes as they did years ago - the council just haven't managed to find the time to repair them?

I must admit I feel a little bitter over the fact I had to pay 90 for 6 months tax for my little 1.25 Fiesta, where as my sister's boyfriend pays less and he drives a MK5 Zetec-S. This is because his tax class is based on engine size (like it used to be) where as mine is based on emissions. My car is late 51 so I'm only just into the emissions tax class thing. Granted though, personally I think it's a good idea basing tax on how much a vehicle polutes, but at the same time I'm a little annoyed at how much I have to pay lol. I hope that makes some sense :D
jeebowhite
I personally think it should be one or the other! Get your greedy mits off the Fuel Duty Mr Tax, Why should I pay twice to keep my car on the road? I will happily pay 120 per year for my car to keep it on the road, if the bloody tax man gives me back by Fuel Tax... I will be highly in profit!
cyb
if the government spent all your RFL on roads they would need to put up your PAYE to cover the missing millions -leave it as it is but start charging foreign HGV drivers to use/ruin our roads. UK hgv's get charged to travel Europe, we should do the same.
Steve
i recently drove to Paris and the french motorways are something else, they are so smooth it's a pleasure to drive on, as soon as i get back to the UK the roads are dreadful!
cyb
[quote name='Steve' timestamp='1313485938' post='140239']
i recently drove to Paris and the french motorways are something else, they are so smooth it's a pleasure to drive on, as soon as i get back to the UK the roads are dreadful!
[/quote]

and you paid a toll for the privilege of driving on them, which is my point about non UK vehicles on our roads :angry:
Steve
[quote name='cyb' timestamp='1313500367' post='140270']
and you paid a toll for the privilege of driving on them, which is my point about non UK vehicles on our roads :angry:
[/quote]

true mate... paid 19 euros from Paris to boulogne... about 140 miles... thats a lot of money. I could have gone a different route but would have taken longer.
johnH
in my opinion i think anything to do in regards to tax for fuel or vehicle should be spent on where it was taken...ie road tax should be spent on the roads.

i went to spain on a coach and noticed that the roads in france and spain are shocking smooth and in good nick...lets copy what they do!

anyways about 2 years ago my girlfriend complained about the condition of the road outside her house, anyways i took a quick drive down and it and surely enough i would of gotten a smoother ride driving on a ploughed field with nails in the seat. so i took the time to email the council from work pcs (RAF system) and informed them that the busses are tearing up the road and they are in shocking disrepair. i also hinted towards the fact that they now know and if any damage is done to my vehicle or any others from driving down that road they will be picking up the costs of repair...within a week they were outside resurfacing the road....happy days. i also did a similar thing in regards to some trees that annoyed me at home so i got those cut down by the council aswell...but thats a different story lol what im saying is, if told and made aware on how bad it is councils generally go out and fix things and the tax money on repairs. but it could be done on a bigger scale of what people are meaning here
mr pompey
personal i fink we should do what the yanks do, and that is u pay for road tax through the petrol pumps, this then means no 1 gets away from paying it, and those who use there cars will pay more, or have 4x4's, for those who hardly drive there car will pay less, (and that it is proven fact that a v8 will use fuel then a say a 1.3, or any small car,)

fink it is a fairer way of done it, as then u paying for what use it for,

do fink sh!ty goverment should reinvest in the roads, as over the yrs they have got a lot worse,!!!!!!!

Full Colour Version: Road Taxes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.