Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Focus Mk1 1.8 Tddi Vs Tdci
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
djcool3005
Hey guys. I'm looking in to getting a mk1 Ford Focus diesel, its time to replace my crappy Astra 1.6 8 valve. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which I should get, the tddi or the tdci? I've heard that the tdci engine is better and more powerful etc but that it suffers from quite a lot of problems with things breaking? Basically I've heard the tddi engine is not as good but is more reliable. I test drove a Y reg tddi focus and it felt alright, certainly had a lot more pull than my Astra. I'll try test drive a tdci one too to get a feel of the difference between the two. I'm on a bit of a budget too so I'm guessing a tddi is probably more likely. Any thoughts?
jeebowhite
[quote name='djcool3005' timestamp='1313622356' post='140469']
Hey guys. I'm looking in to getting a mk1 Ford Focus diesel, its time to replace my crappy Astra 1.6 8 valve. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which I should get, the tddi or the tdci? I've heard that the tdci engine is better and more powerful etc but that it suffers from quite a lot of problems with things breaking? Basically I've heard the tddi engine is not as good but is more reliable. I test drove a Y reg tddi focus and it felt alright, certainly had a lot more pull than my Astra. I'll try test drive a tdci one too to get a feel of the difference between the two. I'm on a bit of a budget too so I'm guessing a tddi is probably more likely. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

If memory is correct... TDCI Turbo Diesel Commonrail Injection - TDDI - Turbo Diesel Direct Injection.

To be honest, the only difference is the TDDI injects like a petrol engine rather than through the commonrail, as for reliability, the only "real" problems are the fact that you may have a DPF filter, otherwise the normal risks apply - replacing turbo later in life etc.

Overall there is no other real difference in reliability, certainly not any that I have come across :)

Full Colour Version: Focus Mk1 1.8 Tddi Vs Tdci
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.