Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking To Buy A Focus Diesel - What To Watch For?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
altreed
Hi,

I am looking to buy a circa 2003 Focus TDci for my niece. What are the things to check on to avoid buying a problem/lemon. Are there any typical 'weak spots' on the Focus TDci?

Many thanks for any advice, I'm new to Ford and Focus.

Dave
Lenny
[quote name='altreed' timestamp='1313834744' post='140747']
Hi,

I am looking to buy a circa 2003 Focus TDci for my niece. What are the things to check on to avoid buying a problem/lemon. Are there any typical 'weak spots' on the Focus TDci?

Many thanks for any advice, I'm new to Ford and Focus.

Dave
[/quote]
Hi Dave,
the focus is a great car, diesel is very easy run mine is a 1.6tdci and i get 980km on a full 55ltr tank its brilliant although
Please click my link below for 2010 focus rusting, its my focus, bought it new from the garage, not even 10,000km and the rust appeared in the boot, its a fault with the design in the model where the ruber pipe for the rear window water jet rubs off the body taking the paint off and rusting, ford attempted to correct this by putting a anti chip pad like clear laminate, but as you can see with mine its in the wrong location,

other problems can be the front lock for the bonnet can seeze needs to be oiled regularly, check it opens before purchase,
johnH
i would obviosly check the service history and past MOT history to see if there are any reoccuring issues...

also i would look to see when the Dual mass flywheel/clutch was replaced and if a Diesel Particulate Filter and Additive is fitted and has been serviced to schedule and when the next is due...normally DPF every 75k and Additive every 37.5k miles. if you get one that needs that doing it could ruin your day and budget.

take it for a test drive and just try and demand power from it...if it stalls (like a mate of mines mondeo, possible injector issues) if there is lack of power, could be a turbo issue.

also check the stickey at the top of the forum regarding dashboard trick to see if any codes are logged.

you could also spend a few extra for the aa or other body to formally inspect the vehicle for you.

hope this helps.
altreed
Thanks for the tips. All appreciated.

I drove a hired Focus when we went on our Honeymoon in 1999, I think it was petrol, but was nice to drive.

Are there any typical suspension issues? I know on my BMW a suspension mount needs replacing every 60k, but it isn't expensive though.

Cheers
Dave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.