Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mk1 Focus Clutch
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
stevedavo
[font="Arial"]I was wondering if any one could give me a little help, I have a 52 Focus Estate TDdi. At the weekend I replaced my clutch master cylinder, as the push rod snapped on the old one. The replacement was a bit of a pain but went well, I bled the system using an ezibleed unit, and ran around 1/2 ltr of DOT4 through to ensure that it was nice clean fluid and all the air was out of the system.

The pedal seemed very light on completion but the clutch worked well, no trouble in operation or changing gear. I have been on a long journey today of around 350 miles. During the day the clutch pedal has become a lot firmer, but if the pedal is pumped or used a lot in traffic it gets lighter then will firm again when not used for awhile.

Can anyone think why this would happen? Have I done anything wrong? Will re-bleeding the clutch help?[/font]
artscot79
[quote name='stevedavo' timestamp='1314040612' post='141136']
[font="Arial"]I was wondering if any one could give me a little help, I have a 52 Focus Estate TDdi. At the weekend I replaced my clutch master cylinder, as the push rod snapped on the old one. The replacement was a bit of a pain but went well, I bled the system using an ezibleed unit, and ran around 1/2 ltr of DOT4 through to ensure that it was nice clean fluid and all the air was out of the system.

The pedal seemed very light on completion but the clutch worked well, no trouble in operation or changing gear. I have been on a long journey today of around 350 miles. During the day the clutch pedal has become a lot firmer, but if the pedal is pumped or used a lot in traffic it gets lighter then will firm again when not used for awhile.

Can anyone think why this would happen? Have I done anything wrong? Will re-bleeding the clutch help?[/font]
[/quote]

check under the bell housing on the gearbox for any clutch fluid and see if the clutch fluid has gone down mine was the same when done by ford turned out the new cylinder was faulty and had popped a seal meaning yep new clutch and pressure plate and cylinder however as they did it they had to replace it free sounds to me like you have a leak which is why the pressure keeps dropping
stevedavo
Thanks checked and there is no signs of leaking fluid. The pedal felt normal until I put a new master cylinder on, so it could be a faulty master cylinder. I will try and bleed it again at the weekend and see if it helps.
artscot79
[quote name='stevedavo' timestamp='1314204100' post='141387']
Thanks checked and there is no signs of leaking fluid. The pedal felt normal until I put a new master cylinder on, so it could be a faulty master cylinder. I will try and bleed it again at the weekend and see if it helps.
[/quote]

did you hear a pop when you pressed the clutch? i would try bleeding first as its hydraulic it can be a pain to bleed even ford admitted that
jeebowhite
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1314270731' post='141475']
it can be a pain to bleed even ford admitted that
[/quote]

Thats why Ford charge a ransom to fix it ;)
stevedavo
I have re-bled the clutch and it seems a lot better. Thanks for the help

Full Colour Version: Mk1 Focus Clutch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.