Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving Test
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Chat
Steve

If you had to take your driving test again do you think you would pass it? What bad habits have you picked up since you passed your test?

Danny87
I love these questions :D

I'm really not sure how much chance I would stand, I've been driving for four years come early next year so I don't think I've picked up that many bad habits.

I don't shuffle the wheel anymore, so if I were to take my driving test again that would certainly be something I'd need to learn not to do. I still check my mirrors when slowing down or speeding up, and before turning I'll check mirrors especially turning right off a main road into a side road, because around my area there's lots of bikers so I'll always try and be aware of them. In fact I often move over a little so they can safely overtake, and the majority of time they'll acknowledge me and appreciate someone has noticed they are there.

I use the handbrake in traffic so I don't annoy people behind me, and it seems I'm one of the few people who actually do this lol.

I'd love to learn advanced driving and further my skills tbh, I'm still considered a young driver (24 in November) so I admit I am inexperienced when compared to the older generation, but, and I say this touching wood - I haven't had a crash and I'm points free, which for someone my age is probably quite rare. My brother is older than me (27) and he has an SP30 for speeding & 3 points for careless driving - not good, yet his insurance is cheaper!

Anyway I'm going off topic :D lol sorry.
Lenny
Driving with one hand, perticuraly on corners turn with the palm of my hand, used to work in a warehouse and through driving a forklift ive picked up alot of bad habbits :rolleyes:
notice alot of other drivers dont alway indicate off roundabouts, annoys me :lol: and ive ocasionaly overtaken on the inside :unsure:
johnH
i have my bad and good days...i notice alot of bad drivers, in my opinion, come out in the summer...i say to beat the choppers i become them and play their game so i doubt it. in winter with snow and ice i probably will pass. i did an adverse weather conditions course (snow) in the falklands and learnt all the tricks of the book so that will come back to me and help :)

with the state of some driving techniques its amazing that the government hasnt forced a rule that you have to annually do a test...makes them more money and keeps people upto date on current highway code. heres an example, my dad passed his driving test early 80's, i passed mine just over 2 years ago (not a pinnicle of experiance i know) but i asked him "on a single carriageway ie one lane for each direction, what is the speed limit if the national speed limit sign (white/grey with diagnol black line) is shown?" his reply was "50mph" when in fact its 60mph...see my point? lol
cyb
[quote name='Danny87' timestamp='1314136027' post='141295']
I don't shuffle the wheel anymore, so if I were to take my driving test again that would certainly be something I'd need to learn not to do.
[/quote]

Actually no – the days of feeding the wheel through your hands have gone, what test examiners look for is that you have at least one hand on the steering wheel at all times, use both hands whilst cornering and without crossing over your arms (which means you may need to shuffle whilst turning).

[quote name='Lenny' timestamp='1314137783' post='141302']
Driving with one hand, particularly on corners turn with the palm of my hand, used to work in a warehouse and through driving a forklift ive picked up alot of bad habits :rolleyes:
notice alot of other drivers don’t always indicate off roundabouts, annoys me :lol: and ive occasionally overtaken on the inside :unsure:
[/quote]

Bad boy! Forklift steering is a real no-no and is one really bad habit that would fail you – stop it now before you reverse into something or someone! :unsure:
As for round-a-bouts - failure to indicate is one of my annoyances, traffic would run a lot smoother if ALL drivers used their indicators.

Incidentally I passed my driving test again after driving for 25+ years first time and it was a more intense test you have to pass to become an Adi. :)
Lenny
[quote name='cyb' timestamp='1314176594' post='141333']
Bad boy! Forklift steering is a real no-no and is one really bad habit that would fail you stop it now before you reverse into something or someone! :unsure:
As for round-a-bouts - failure to indicate is one of my annoyances, traffic would run a lot smoother if ALL drivers used their indicators.

Incidentally I passed my driving test again after driving for 25+ years first time and it was a more intense test you have to pass to become an Adi. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the advise mate, i still have to pass my test to be honest :lol: driving four years my insurance on a 2010 focus 1.6TDCI last year was at the cheapest [b][/b]2156.87euro only ever done my test once and failed because i missed a turn, and the one hand on the steering wheel thing when reversing around a corner.
ive two kids and a morgauge cant afford a hundred lessons and [b][/b]90 every time i go for a test, ive got a four year no claims bonus like come on.
matty076
fail any day, lol
jeebowhite
I would probably have to take a few lessons and see what the instructor says, I can be the perfect driver when I want to be, but in all the miles of driving where I have driven as I did when I passed my test, I will be surprised if it passes 5 figures... and thats with a decimal point!

I wouldnt say you have to take your driving test anually / bi-anually but I think a refresher lesson or two, and if the instructor deems it necessary, he can contact the DVLA and request you retake your test if your driving is below cr@p. Otheriwse just sign a certificate to say "this guy is not a complete fool"
lisaalther
Nice sharing! I would like to thank you all for your useful information. I passed the test with two minors in my first attempt. If you have bad habits which might cause you to fail the driving test, i feel that is your driving instructor's fault. Its important to go with high quality driving lessons that helpful to overcome the weakness and not develop into a bad habit.

[url=http://icandrive.ca/ontario/g1-practice-test/]New Brunswick practice test[/url] | [url=http://icandrive.ca/ontario/g1-practice-test/]PEI drivers test practice[/url]
Ryan9684
I think i would pass... i had to retake my test after 2 years(dont ask) and i managed to ignore my bad habits for the 30-45 minutes it took to do the test, the guy told me at the end although i didnt follow every single little rule i was clearly a confident and careful driver :D if only he knew ;)

Full Colour Version: Driving Test
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.