Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Storing Focus In Driveway For Maybe A Year
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Lenny
[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Hi all,
recently lost my job, even though I never missed a day, always 30min early and stayed in a hotel at my own expense last winter in the snow for four nights so as I wouldn't miss time, and they still let me go,:blink: any way down to the main story:[/size][/font]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]My tax and insurance is expiring on my focus at the end of this month, since I can't afford to run two cars on the road at the moment I'm forced to leave it parked on the cement driveway, :( [/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]At least until I find work again, [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]My wife's car a 2006 Nissan Almera SXE Saloon 1.5petrol will be staying on the road although my 1.6TDCI focus is the more economical car to run and tax [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]she's not the best driver in the world and rides the clutch even at traffic lights when they have just turned red on her side :rolleyes: , doesn't respect my car as much as I'd like her to, (or at all if I'm honest) and rides the hedge every time she meets another car on a country road, (to give them space) Just last week drove at 30kmph through freshly laid Patch of tar and chippings on the road, (id have drove at 5kmph through it) even though id just broke my back the day before doing tar removal and waxing [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif[/img] [/size][/font]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]My heart is in my mouth sitting in the passenger seat of the focus with her :o , even spilling the kids bottles in the car, and letting them eat chocolate in it. It would ruin our relationship :lol: [/font][/size]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]So I'd rather keep my car for me and let her do whatever she wants to the Almera.[/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]I plan to purchase the following items to help maintain the car while in storage
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RICHBROOK-DIS-CAR-NECT-QUICK-RELEASE-BATTERY-SWITCH-NEW-/300584715054?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fc3ec32e"]richbrook dis car nect[/url] ,
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Cover-Ford-Focus-ST-Outdoor-Fitted-Tailored-/250704478872?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5f26c298"]Custom Car Cover[/url] ,[/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Powered-Battery-Optimiser-Trickle-Charger-/260747044665?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item3cb5bc2739"]Solar Battery Optimiser- Trickle Charger[/url] ,

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][/size][/font]I will Do:[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Fill the car to the brim with Fuel[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Cover the exhaust pipe ( Goodall's spice tin fits perfect doesn't rust [url="http://ballymoreshoponline.stormwebhost.com/proddetail.php?prod=Goodalls-MixedHerbs&cat=1"]Click Here[/url]);) [/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Remove Aerial[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Fold in Mirrors[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Tar removal, Wash and Wax[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Cover the car with fitted cover[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Connect solar charger and place on top of cover[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Should I Do?:[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Over inflate or deflate the tyres?[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Leave windows slightly open with cover on, or windows fully closed with cover on?[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Remove the wiper blades?[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Spray WD-40 in exhaust pipe?[/size][/font]

[size="3"]·[/size] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Spray under body with WD-40[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Or anything else I should do prior to storage as this car is my third child,[/size][/font]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]I want to give it the best care possible, breaks my heart to have to leave it lying up but it's better than seeing it get scratched or selling it which I will never do, [/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]I've owned it from new, never selling my focus.:(

[/size][size="3"]Any advise will help me and id greatly appreciate it[/size]

[/font]
Preee
Lenny
Can't give you any advice on storage , but i'm real sorry you have lost your job m8.

I do hope you find some thing soon so you won't have to store it for too long.

I feel for you when wife is driving your Focus , i'm the same , my wife scare's the life out of me , she never speeds and drives like a snail , but she can't be quiet while driving and concerntrate on driving.

First time she drove my Focus , she was sat in the middle of the road after releaseing the handbrake not knowing that she had to press the start button after numerous "training".
Head was in my hands as i saw the car dissappear into the distance, luck would have it , she does not use Focus very often.
Lenny
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1314117152' post='141238']
Lenny
Can't give you any advice on storage , but i'm real sorry you have lost your job m8.

I do hope you find some thing soon so you won't have to store it for too long.

I feel for you when wife is driving your Focus , i'm the same , my wife scare's the life out of me , she never speeds and drives like a snail , but she can't be quiet while driving and concerntrate on driving.

First time she drove my Focus , she was sat in the middle of the road after releaseing the handbrake not knowing that she had to press the start button after numerous "training".
Head was in my hands as i saw the car dissappear into the distance, luck would have it , she does not use Focus very often.
[/quote]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Thanks for the words of comfort mate, Iíve no incentive to find work at the moment as I gave it 100% and still got Fíd out after 9months :angry: , didnít do anything wrong they brought the replacement lads in for interviews in front of me :blink: before that job I was in a pharmaceutical company for eight years running the finished goods warehouse, got made redundant and bought the focus, so Iím holding on tight to it :) [/size][/font]

stef123
[b]Just last week drove at 30kmph through freshly laid Patch of tar and chippings on the road[/b] -crikey! 30,000mph? :o

on a serious note, very sorry to hear about your job. it always seems to be the case with who they let go :angry:

If i had to leave my car for a long period of time i would be putting a cover on it but i would also be starting it every week for a few minutes and also roll it back and forth to work the brakes and what not.

The solar panel is a good idea though - i like that. i wouldnt bother covering the exhaust or spraying wd40 on it or the underbody though
Lenny
Thanks for the advise and for a [url="http://www.eforecourt.com/mph_kph_speed_convert.htm"]Speed Convertor Click Here[/url] says 30Kmph converts to 19mph rounded off still too fast to be driving on wet tac :P
johnH
hi mate, sorry to hear you have lost your job...on the plus side, if your looking for a place, arriva are always taking drivers...my dad pulled home 28k last year, so theres some decent pay to be had.

anyways when we go to places like afghan or falklands for 4 to 6 months, we obviously leave the car.

- make sure you declare your car off the road (sorn) and dont move it from the driveway, the DVLA will nab it if you do. best thing to do is read on the current regs.

- we get someone to start the car for 10 mins every week or two and hold it at 2k revs just to keep the engine going and battery alive.

- i wouldnt leave too much diesel in the car as it can develop algea etc

- leave the car in gear, chock it and dont have the breaks on as they can rust on and can become a right kick to the teeth to get off. you could actually put your car on stands and remove the wheels and keep brakes off.

- do what you can to protect the metal work, its amazing how fast things rust when left

- dont be surprised that when it comes to getting it back on the road to spends a bit on tyres, service and all the other gear.

i went away to the falklands for 4 months and my peugeot squeeked like mad for a few weeks till i freed it all up...
jeebowhite
I agree with JohnH, certainly dont leave the brakes on, its better to leave in gear and chock the wheels to stop the car rolling, I would leave minimal amount of fuel in the car, and definately start it for a few minutes every month.

Covering it is a good idea, but a thick and thorough wash and wax will help as much.

Keeping the battery charged is a good thing, other than that, overinflate the tyres to 8 psi over the usual pressure. Other than that I wouild say leave all four windows open a little to let the interior breathe, but makes sure you secure down the cover to prevent it from flitting about in a breeze.

I would suggest also, remove the light clusters and wipe away any water / dirt underneath them (especially the rears) as this will promote rusting.

Give the car a chamois down and dry it off as much as possible and remove any water from sitting anywhere

Other than that, again condolences on the loss of your job, I know its pretty shoddy the way they decide - reliability and dedication are two of the last attributes to be considered in these circumstances.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.