Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please Help Me, My Fiesta Is Stuttering
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
mogpod
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone may be able to advise me as Im not any kind of car expert unfortunatly, I dont have anybody else who knows about cars to ask. my 2005 fiesta flame started to stutter on acceleration today! I have read through a few old posts here, and I understand it could be a range of problems. one guy said he changed the plugs and coil and something else and it sorted his problem. He bought these items hiself. money is very tight at the moment, but I need my car to travel to work everyday, im worried if I take it to a garage, ill be charged extortionate amounts to get the problem fixed. What im wondering is, how easy it is to do the filter and plugs myself, for someone who doesnt know anything, (or have any tools)? I would be willing to learn, or read how to do it etc? or does anybody know how much a garage may charge me? any advice would be fantastic

Thankyou, Maryanne
fiesta_lad
[quote name='mogpod' timestamp='1314304536' post='141540']
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone may be able to advise me as Im not any kind of car expert unfortunatly, I dont have anybody else who knows about cars to ask. my 2005 fiesta flame started to stutter on acceleration today! I have read through a few old posts here, and I understand it could be a range of problems. one guy said he changed the plugs and coil and something else and it sorted his problem. He bought these items hiself. money is very tight at the moment, but I need my car to travel to work everyday, im worried if I take it to a garage, ill be charged extortionate amounts to get the problem fixed. What im wondering is, how easy it is to do the filter and plugs myself, for someone who doesnt know anything, (or have any tools)? I would be willing to learn, or read how to do it etc? or does anybody know how much a garage may charge me? any advice would be fantastic

Thankyou, Maryanne
[/quote]

Hi maryanne

My car was sputtering a few months ago i changed the ht leads and fresh new spark plugs problem sorted ( touch wood lol ) i always start of cheap and hopefully it stays cheap lol. If you took your car into a garage for spark plugs here up in merseyside your looking about £25 for a full set of plugs supply and fit london i don't know. if you do it yourself your looking at about £2.20 a plug thats what i pay.

It's really easy to do your own spark plugs all you need is

1) spark plug socket 1/2 drive ( don't know what size on your fiesta i know mines 10mm )
2) desent rachet 1/2 drive is what i use (any motorpart shop will sell them )
3) Long exsension bar again 1/2 drive to fit your rachet and about 9mm in lengh for the bar ( Bar give you leaveridge to losen and tightin and also gives you plenty of room)
4) Spark plug gap tool ( This sets the correct gap between ground electrode and the plug)

But first of i would check the ht leads which are big rubber boots that sit on top of your spark plugs and run to the coil pack check for any signs of rips etc make sure the spark plugs that are in your car now are gapped correct.

If i rember righty on the fiesta 2005 the spark plugs etc sit underneath a large black platic cover on top of the engine the cover is held on by a couple of screws. So thats what i would check ht leads and spark plugs if all else fails there start looking at the coil pack which if you follow the ht leads ( the big rubber leads that sit on the spark plugs) follow them and you will come to the coil pack. One thing for got to ask has any orange engine lights appered on your dash if so then it would be worth get a diagnostic test done but then again if money is tight then i don't know

I hope i have'nt confused you here :D
fiesta_lad
Just to let you know to locate your spark plugs once you remove the plasic cover on top of the engine you should see a row of four leads which are your ht leads underneath them are your spark plugs to remove leads don't pull them has you could damage the lead pinch the bottom of the lead and give it a little tug. but first off inspect the leads for signs of rips any rips you see change the leads i would change them in fours

Also just to add to have rac or aa or any breakdown cover if so i would get them out to do one of there tests on your car that if your engine light has come on.

I hope i have'nt freaked you out with all this information if you lived closer i could of give you a helping hand.
fiesta_lad
Forgot to ask when you say filter do you mean air or fuel filter. :D
mintalkin
see if your local library has got a haynes manual which covers your car and will tell you whats involved,also by the time you have aquired all the tools for doing the work it might be cheaper to get a local good garage to do it.
fiesta_lad
If you have'nt got all the tools to start of with the first job on doing the spark plugs is going to cost a little more but in the long run once you learn to change the plugs your tools would of paid for them selfs.
mogpod
Hey thankyou for all your replies. The orange engine light came on today whilst driving back from work. Im waiting to hear back from a friend of a friend who is going to have a look at my car at some point this week. Ill let you know the outcome. Thanks again, Maryanne
bt_cav
[quote name='mogpod' timestamp='1314706889' post='142023']
Hey thankyou for all your replies. The orange engine light came on today whilst driving back from work. Im waiting to hear back from a friend of a friend who is going to have a look at my car at some point this week. Ill let you know the outcome. Thanks again, Maryanne
[/quote]

Sounds like the coil is failing, but it could be something else. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (good excuse for bad typing if nothing else lol) Hope you get it sorted out soon

:)
mogpod
Hello,

Good news, all sorted. It was the coil pack :o
A friend of a friend came to fix it today, took him about half hour and he charged me 65. Im so relieved. Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to me. Apparently, the coil pack failing is a common problem on fiestas.

Maryanne

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.