hi

If you have had this problem you will know the answer, probably not otherwise...

My daughter's otherwise 100% roadworthy Mk4 is going to a new owner after being nicked a second time and this time not found by the utterly useless Brighton Police for a month in an inner city parking bay..... it drove home fine.

Just about to take it to new owner to be and noticd the horn had ceased working. After checks it was the horn sliding contacts so i had to remove the steering wheel to clean up the contacts. When I put it back on the steering would not move freely, its definitely binding and its harder to move the steered wheels when jacked up with steering wheel on than off. I can't see a problem but suspect its the way the nylon bush behind the wheel is acting on the top bearing - is this a known problem? Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

More info. There is a split Nylon collar on the column shaft behind the steering wheel which is plain fronted on the wheel side and has a tappered shape to locate inside and bear on the inner race of what looks like a taper roller top bearing for the columnn, that's a push fit in the casting. The car was broken into and the steering lock broken in a previous theft a while back. The lock housing and outer casting of the wheel boss is mashed and the lock no longer works as result, however this was not a problem before I tool the wheel off and I can't see how it could be now.....thanks, will take pictures if needed. 01932 772731