Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Ka. Stuck Thermo
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
gary m h
I wonder if anyone can help please. I have a T reg Ford ka with an over heating problem. I have had the water colour test and the head gasket is ok. I have also been told I can remove the thermostat and this will determine if it is indeed the thermostat causing the problem . I have removed the thermostat cover but for the life of me I can not remove the thermostat. It is wedged in solid. There isn't some kinda hidden clip that's stopping me remove the thermostat is there or is it just a case that as its an old car its just hard to get out. Thanks in advance. Gary.
Danny87
[quote name='gary m h' timestamp='1315128328' post='142721']
I wonder if anyone can help please. I have a T reg Ford ka with an over heating problem. I have had the water colour test and the head gasket is ok. I have also been told I can remove the thermostat and this will determine if it is indeed the thermostat causing the problem . I have removed the thermostat cover but for the life of me I can not remove the thermostat. It is wedged in solid. There isn't some kinda hidden clip that's stopping me remove the thermostat is there or is it just a case that as its an old car its just hard to get out. Thanks in advance. Gary.
[/quote]

Hi Gary, excuse my ignorance but has your Ka got the OHV engine? From what I remember (it has been some time since I worked on one) the thermostat shouldn't be clipped in or anything, when you remove the thermostat housing you should be able to just pull it out. Are you going to test it in some boiling water with a thermometer to see when it opens? I would advise just replacing it, a new thermostat is only a few quid on eBay.

Try using a screwdriver to give it a pull - but make sure you don't damage the mating surfaces of the thermostat housing and cylinder head.

Hope that helps,
Let us know how you get on :)

Dan
gary m h
Hey Dan. Many thanks for your swift reply. I'll check on the rocker cover to see which type of engine it is. It really is frustrating. I have been informed that I can drive the car without the thermostat in as the only effect this will have is no heating.. At least I will than be able to determine if the thermostat is at fault. It just is firmly in place and difficult to get any leverage with a screw drive to lift out. Even pliers have no effect. Cleaned the surrounding area around the thermostat of any thing that could possibly be hindering its removal...Does the different engine types mean that different removal methods are required..Thanks. Gary.
Danny87
[quote name='gary m h' timestamp='1315130811' post='142733']
Hey Dan. Many thanks for your swift reply. I'll check on the rocker cover to see which type of engine it is. It really is frustrating. I have been informed that I can drive the car without the thermostat in as the only effect this will have is no heating.. At least I will than be able to determine if the thermostat is at fault. It just is firmly in place and difficult to get any leverage with a screw drive to lift out. Even pliers have no effect. Cleaned the surrounding area around the thermostat of any thing that could possibly be hindering its removal...Does the different engine types mean that different removal methods are required..Thanks. Gary.
[/quote]

Hi Gary, I'm pretty sure you have the overhead valve engine (it's a really good engine, such simple mechanics). Your thermostat should just pull out, you are right you can drive the car without a thermostat but it means you'll have no heating for longer because the engine will take longer to heat up. If once you've removed the thermostat and the engine doesn't overheat you know the culprit has been found. To be honest you could probably leave it like that if you weren't too bothered. If you're doing it on the cheap you could even make a gasket out of some cardboard (like a cereal box for example).

The different engine types isn't that important, I was just curious really because I was basing my answer on the OHV valve engine which was in the Ka for years even after 2000.

If the thermostat is really stuck then the only thing I could think of that would help is to use some mole grips, lock them firmly around the top of the thermostat (don't worry about breaking/bending it at this stage) and give it a bloody hard pull. You'll probably find if you try that it will come out and you'll be able to see how it was stuck in there in the first place. With the age of the car and the fact it has been overheating it's probably rusted/cooked itself into the head, but the weakest point will be the thermostat so don't worry about damaging the head as long as you are careful about the mating surfaces.

If you were near to me I would offer to come and give ya a hand! Hope that helps a little bit anyway mate and keep us posted :)

Dan

EDIT: Spelling and grammer OCD :P
gary m h
Just to let you know Dan safely removed the thermostat.. Boiled the kettle and poured the hot water over the housing.came our without to much trouble. So if that's helpful to future users that's fab.. Alas that hasn't cured the problem so I am hoping its the water pump..There appears no water vapour in the oil. No toffee coloured mix. Dan thank you again..Always reassuring to receive helpful advise .
Cheers Gary..
Danny87
[quote name='gary m h' timestamp='1315134513' post='142748']
Just to let you know Dan safely removed the thermostat.. Boiled the kettle and poured the hot water over the housing.came our without to much trouble. So if that's helpful to future users that's fab.. Alas that hasn't cured the problem so I am hoping its the water pump..There appears no water vapour in the oil. No toffee coloured mix. Dan thank you again..Always reassuring to receive helpful advise .
Cheers Gary..
[/quote]

Hey Gary, no problem glad I was some help :).

If the water pump is okay it could be the radiator, I remember a very similar problem which turned out to be the radiator. It had became blocked so it was restricting the coolant flow and making the car overheat. It was a Punto which are known for headgaskets and when I fixed it up for my mate he was over the moon because he was expecting headgasket (like I was too, being a Punto).

You may be able to flush the radiator through with some of the radiator flush stuff, or you could get a hose and just put some water through where the top hose is and clean it that way, you'll probably find the water flowing out of the bottom is rusty and loaded with loads of gunk.

Keep at it and good luck, it will be something simple it usually is with problems like this.

Dan

Full Colour Version: Ford Ka. Stuck Thermo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615