Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chip Repair - Advice Required
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Chat
jeebowhite
Hi Guys,

Well, I need to touch up my car a little, had a few big stones have bounced off the bonnet, and as a result, they left a few nice chips. So I bought a scratch repair kit, and popped a thin layer of primer on, let it dry then tried to paint over the top. Now its dried I have a couple of little blobs that look like dirt, but are actually pain, so I need to smooth them out, keep the paint there and try again.

In all honesty, I dont think I can do a professional looking repair, but something would be better than nothing.

Im thinking I might need to sand down what I have done, reapply a thin layer of primer out of a spray can. then look at painting it. I tried to use artist brushes thinking it might give a better finish but it hasnt really made a great difference.

Has anyone any advice on chip repairs?

Im thinking I might (as they are only small chips) buy a tin of spray paint, and lacquer and just spray the damaged dot, until I get a similar match, then once dry try to use T cut to blend it in.

I dont have the funds at the moment to buy a spray set from halfords to try, but is there anyway you can take a touch up pen kit from the dealer and then turn it into airbrush paint to apply?

For the sake of 10 or 11 small chips, I cant really afford to get someone like chipsaway to fix it!

All answers appreciated.

James
Preee
1)I got a Ford Moondust paint stick off Ebay for £10 , once i had applied the paint to the chip i let it set for 24hrs , then used wet'n'dry 2500 grit , soaked in water , worked on the lump of paint first until smooth .

2)T-Cut

3)Applied clear coat , agiain letting it sit for 24hrs

4) used 2500 grit wet'n'dry , soaked in water again working in the high spot first and then blending over about 2 inches.

5) T-cut to removed the very fine smear left from the wet'n'dry.

6) Works every time for me , just got to be carefull not to go too deep and try and remove the lump first. Its only noticable if i have my nose about a foot away .

Another way is to dab the paint on and use an old credit card to smooth and then remove any residue trying not to touch where the chip is , saves too much rubbing down then.

Downside of the paint stick , Shake well , put some paint on a piece of plastic and stir again before applying.First time i tried paint direct form paint stick had a tint of black once i applied it.
jeebowhite
Thanks Preee, I might have to give the wet and dry a go! I would never have thought about sanding it down, purely for the reason I thought it would scratch it more! I thought I might use a very small piece and rub it in with a pencil rubber if I splodged too much!
Danny87
Preee (Preece!), you've been a star again. Your answer has helped me because I've got some really horrible chips on my spoiler, I did attempt to sort it but I've ended up with a build up of paint which is higher than the rest. I wasn't sure what to do and put it out of my mind, but I'll have a closer look tomorrow and see if I can sort it out now I know what to do :D

Dan
Preee
@ jeebowhite , i watched a few youtube videos and picked it up from there, there is also some kind of putty type stuff you can get from halfords to help smooth the fine scratches before the t-cut.

@Danny87 haha i am now thinking of a new name for you :lol:

There are probably other ways to protect the surrounding area as long as possible before you need to blend , perhaps surround the chip with selotape then peel when the excess paint is down as much as possible.
jeebowhite
Thanks again, I couldnt find any 2500 - I bought some 250 grit sandpaper from B&Q which is really fine, you can only just feel it, I would probably protect the local paintwork with tape or something and then sand it down, the problem is though that you then have to apply the lacquer which then adds more to it, then you have to sand down the lacquer which takes you back to the point you need to apply lacquer...
Preee
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1316178045' post='144361']
Thanks again, I couldnt find any 2500 - I bought some 250 grit sandpaper from B&Q which is really fine, you can only just feel it, I would probably protect the local paintwork with tape or something and then sand it down, the problem is though that you then have to apply the lacquer which then adds more to it, then you have to sand down the lacquer which takes you back to the point you need to apply lacquer...
[/quote]

I apply the lacquer over twice the size of the chip , but as long as its smoothed out and polished even just the paint in the chip gets a good finish
rojariggs
For very small chips use a cocktail stick or similar using tiny amounts of paint and build up carefully layer by layer.

Cheers

Rog
jeebowhite
Thanks for the advice! well I did do this in the end, however even that didnt suffice, it still turned out lumpy, a gradual rub down has gotten it almost smooth to the remainder of the bonnet, however the colouring is darker on a strip of damage / couple of chips. Its not too bad but at least its covered for now!

Full Colour Version: Chip Repair - Advice Required
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615