Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad Smell Coming From Vents
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Broxson
Hello all I have a problem with a bad smell coming from my vents I have been told my air con needs topping up but the air con is never on when it gives the bad smell could anyone help me with this matter :rolleyes:
Lenny
[quote name='Broxson' timestamp='1315671098' post='143593']
Hello all I have a problem with a bad smell coming from my vents I have been told my air con needs topping up but the air con is never on when it gives the bad smell could anyone help me with this matter :rolleyes:
[/quote]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][/size][/font]The Air system may need to be sanitised; I donít know the name of the product available,[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]But its an aerosol can that you place under the rear of the front passenger seat, [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]With the engine running and the fan on full blast on face and feet mode. on recycle Air[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Once you press the can get out and close the door, it will automatically empty its complete contents on one press of the button, I think you leave the car running like this for 20-30 minutes then your system should be clear and fresh, available in Halfords also change the pollen filter in the system.B) [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Or try this brand think this is it [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMMA-AIR-CON-CONDITIONING-CLEANER-PURIFIER-CAR-CLEAN-/300538104732?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item45f9778b9c"]Click Here[/url][/size][/font]

Broxson
Could you possibly tell me where the pollen filter is located as Ive read it may have become damp which is giving off the smell ?

Thanks
Lenny
its normaly behind the glove box although my model is the same as yours under the dash and ive had my glovebox out and all thats their is the fuse box, ill check the haynes manual and get back to ya mate, B)
sjwred
[quote name='Broxson' timestamp='1315675868' post='143601']
Could you possibly tell me where the pollen filter is located as Ive read it may have become damp which is giving off the smell ?

Thanks
[/quote]
I think your pollen filter is under the N/S scuttle panel (it is on mine 2002 focus) be careful not to break the White clips underneath the scuttle,there is 1 screw (under a cap )and 2 false caps ,when you replace the filter around £15 always re-stick your scuttle down, other wise water cascades down the windscreen and over floods the channel soaking your filter and letting water into car"s air ducts then under your passenger carpets.....I hope this is some sort of help.
Lenny
[quote name='Broxson' timestamp='1315675868' post='143601']

Thanks
[/quote]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"]According to the Haynes manual, the pollen filter should be changed every 12,000 Miles [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]1. Release the 2 fasteners and remove the trim panel above the passengerís side footwell [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]2. Remove the glove box[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]3. Undo the 2 fasteners securing the fuse box/central junction box/GEM, then lift it from the mounting bracket on the bulkhead. [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Move the fuse box/module to one side; there is no need to disconnect the wiring plugs.

[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]4. Release the clips securing the wiring harness to the fuse box/module mounting bracket, then undo the 2 nuts and remove the bracket.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]5. On models with air conditioning, undo the retaining bolt and remove the cool air pipe from the heater housing to the side of the glove box.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]6. Disconnect the wiring plugs from the recirculation flap motor and heater motor blower resistor.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]7. Undo the 3 bolts, remove the cover and gently pull the filter from the housing.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]8. Fit the new Pollen Filter using a reversal of the removal procedure, ensuring that the filter is fitted with the airflow arrows pointing straight back in to the cabin.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Thatís word for word what the Haynes says, [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Now for my input,[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Id also remove the bulb from the glove box as it gets fairly hot if left on for a long period, just donít forget to put it back in, also id get a cup or something to store all the screws in the one spot, and finally from experience when putting the glove box back in place ensure the bottom left part is tuct in correctly as you wonít realise itís not until all the screws are back in and you try to close it, [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Then you realise it doesnít and you have to unscrew it all again, so just check the bottom left part of the box is in correctly prior to screwing it back.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Hope this helps mate.B)

[img]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/lennymanwoods/Image0807.jpg[/img][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"] [/size][/font]

johnH
ive replaced the pollen filter on my 2006 focus twice now...and safe to say its a kick in the tits, same as the first time to replace. anyways you can get a pollen filter for £5 from unipart saving you £10 on the above price.

ive had my system cleaned by ford using something that smells of orange, citrus...but when the car has been sitting for cold for a day or so it smells like essance du puke...litrally smells like someone has hurled into my vents. think i might redo it with another scent lol

is the smell definately coming from the vents? sometimes you can get some sweaty previous owners who have never cleaned the seats or just let the carpets get wet and not dry it properly, developing penicillin.
cuke
Hi, you need to use this spray http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_224996_langId_-1_categoryId_165632 to kill off the bacteria in your vents that causes the smell.
Chris
Lenny
[quote name='Lenny' timestamp='1315673870' post='143598']
[font="Calibri"][size="3"]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][/size][/font]The Air system may need to be sanitised; I don't know the name of the product available,[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]But its an aerosol can that you place under the rear of the front passenger seat, [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]With the engine running and the fan on full blast on face and feet mode. on recycle Air[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Once you press the can get out and close the door, it will automatically empty its complete contents on one press of the button, I think you leave the car running like this for 20-30 minutes then your system should be clear and fresh, available in Halfords also change the pollen filter in the system.B) [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Or try this brand think this is it [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMMA-AIR-CON-CONDITIONING-CLEANER-PURIFIER-CAR-CLEAN-/300538104732?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item45f9778b9c"]Click Here[/url][/size][/font]

[/quote]

Thats The One :D
Druberry
If you have not sorted your smell probs out yet, I will tell you of my experience. I searched high and low to try and eradicate the smell and finally found it to be the water washer bottle, whether it was a combination of different screen wash I don't know but its gone now. hope this is useful.

Full Colour Version: Bad Smell Coming From Vents
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.