Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heated Screen Only Works One Side
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
cressws1
My Quickclear screen only works one side (passenger side) even after a new heated screen was fitted. I am under the impression this screen uses 1 fuse for the entire screen not one fuse for each side so I've ruled that out. Any ideas what else I need to be looking at?
stef123
[quote name='cressws1' timestamp='1316167061' post='144341']
My Quickclear screen only works one side (passenger side) even after a new heated screen was fitted. I am under the impression this screen uses 1 fuse for the entire screen not one fuse for each side so I've ruled that out. Any ideas what else I need to be looking at?
[/quote]

im thinking it should have 2 fuses, heated windscreens use alot of power - probably fuses at 30amps per side or so.
cressws1
Aparently there are two or three different screens for the mk1 focus, The one I have only uses 1 fuse.

The guy fitting the screen said something about the wiring loom becoming corroded or rusted because it is stored in a wet enviroment (behind the drivers wheel arch if what he said rings true)

Edit: Added image of the fusebox diagram in the engine bay. Only describes one 50A fuse for front heated screen.
artscot79
[quote name='cressws1' timestamp='1316173568' post='144351']
Aparently there are two or three different screens for the mk1 focus, The one I have only uses 1 fuse.

The guy fitting the screen said something about the wiring loom becoming corroded or rusted because it is stored in a wet enviroment (behind the drivers wheel arch if what he said rings true)

Edit: Added image of the fusebox diagram in the engine bay. Only describes one 50A fuse for front heated screen.
[/quote]

try the relay first if that doesnt work If you remove the wiper arms and the plastic surround at the base of the windscreen, you will expose the bottom of the screen and you will see two ribbon type connections either side of the screen. One of these will be broken. or water has gotten into a broken seal if it has the only option is to cut one off a car at the scrappy and solder it onto youre wiring as its part of the main loom youll need to heat shrink the wires and then tape them up to be sure while there tape arond the connector where both parts contact to prevent water from getting into it. this isnt gauranteed to work and some require new screens but its a cheap try before you get to that stage
cressws1
Can I pick up a relay from any motor factor or does it have to be ford? Also are they similar to fuses in cost?

Tried to get under that panel to have a look at the connector but dont have the tool to remove the wiper arms so will get one of those.
artscot79
[quote name='cressws1' timestamp='1316188186' post='144381']
Can I pick up a relay from any motor factor or does it have to be ford? Also are they similar to fuses in cost?

Tried to get under that panel to have a look at the connector but dont have the tool to remove the wiper arms so will get one of those.
[/quote]

best place to get them is from a scrappy that way you can pick up a few i put them in my pocket to be honest and say im there for summat else ford do them im sure they are around a tenner so scrappys is best
cressws1
Ive been and had a look today all the connections and wiring are like new. I sat outside doing the old "steamy kettle" test and I think that both sides DO work but the drivers side just takes longer to come on, Am I right in thinking that this would indicate the relay being the problem?
artscot79
[quote name='cressws1' timestamp='1316614641' post='145062']
Ive been and had a look today all the connections and wiring are like new. I sat outside doing the old "steamy kettle" test and I think that both sides DO work but the drivers side just takes longer to come on, Am I right in thinking that this would indicate the relay being the problem?
[/quote]

not sure mate but its a cheap fix so worth a bash changing it

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615