Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black Smoke
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
dingdongdo
can you help
i have a 130 tdci with 90k on clock, im getting bursts of black smoke when accelerating, is there anything i can try myself before i line somebody else's pockets.
jmurray01
Nothing is wrong with your engine, that is just a typical diesel! :)

Because the fuel burns in a diesel engine using compression alone, rather than a spark from a spark plug like in a petrol engine, it is more prone to not burning fuel properly when accelerating, and the black smoke you are seeing is just unburned fuel.

As long as it runs fine in every other way, there is no need to worry.

If you wanted, I suppose you could clean out your EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Regulation), but that probably wouldn't sort it 100%.
dingdongdo
[quote name='jmurray01' timestamp='1316254052' post='144459']
Nothing is wrong with your engine, that is just a typical diesel! :)

Because the fuel burns in a diesel engine using compression alone, rather than a spark from a spark plug like in a petrol engine, it is more prone to not burning fuel properly when accelerating, and the black smoke you are seeing is just unburned fuel.

As long as it runs fine in every other way, there is no need to worry.

If you wanted, I suppose you could clean out your EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Regulation), but that probably wouldn't sort it 100%.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, i will just keep an eye on things for now and keep my money in my pocket. (not that theres much!!)
jmurray01
[quote name='dingdongdo' timestamp='1316254414' post='144460']
Thanks for that, i will just keep an eye on things for now and keep my money in my pocket. (not that theres much!!)
[/quote]Yep, just keep an eye in your mirror, and as long as it doesn't get really bad, there is no need to rush out and do anything.
stef123
I would have a look at the egr valve, i dont believe you should have black smoke for no reason.. especially if you can see it in the mirror
dingdongdo
there is quite a lot of smoke now so looks like i need to do something, your suggestion of checking the egr valve, what does this involve?? also im not sure the car is running very economically either although my wife is the main driver and likes to put her foot down. the car is a 130tdci auto and its doing about 35mpg. unfortunately most of the use is short journeys around town which is not good for economy on any auto. does this seem right and would the egr valve being faulty/dirty cause this?? thanks lee.
stef123
[quote name='dingdongdo' timestamp='1317902626' post='147268']
there is quite a lot of smoke now so looks like i need to do something, your suggestion of checking the egr valve, what does this involve?? also im not sure the car is running very economically either although my wife is the main driver and likes to put her foot down. the car is a 130tdci auto and its doing about 35mpg. unfortunately most of the use is short journeys around town which is not good for economy on any auto. does this seem right and would the egr valve being faulty/dirty cause this?? thanks lee.
[/quote]

if the egr is clogged it can restrict the flow of air, meaning your not getting a good burn.

its quite straight forward to clean out, although its a very dirty job. you will need to get some carb cleaner, i also found that a little pick tool was very useful.

forum wont let me post a link but if you google 'mondeo mk3 egr cleaning' its on the fordwiki site.

if you add http://wwww. to the following
fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/EGR_Valve_and_Inlet_Manifold_Clearout_TDCi

I was having a very minor idle stumble when cold, after cleaning out the egr its gone and it feels so much better. I wouldn't say mine was the worst, but the little valve inside did seem to be clogged so it was probably sticking.
dingdongdo
thanks for the help looks like i will be getting dirty at the weekend (pity its just under the bonnet!) :o .
whilst im on is it worth looking at a warranty for this car. it seems in good order but im concerned about the repair costs of the turbo or auto box as its done a few miles.
mintalkin
also check the intercooler hose for splits,its the large hose from the bottom of the egr valve.
dingdongdo
[quote name='mintalkin' timestamp='1317912821' post='147297']
also check the intercooler hose for splits,its the large hose from the bottom of the egr valve.
[/quote]

thanks for all the help, i still have not done this yet, trying to find the time still!!
however it does seem to be getting worse, the car is now running lumpy and the black smoke is now very heavy. when increasing speed you can see the cloud in the rear veiw mirror and it only clears when the speed levels out. there is no smoke to speak of when starting up even from cold. and like i commented on before the car is poor on fuel. does this still sound like the egr or should i prepare myself for a big bill?
mintalkin
the split hose or a clogged up egr will give the symptoms you have, and it costs nothing to check.
Fergal
You can buy a small stainless plate on ebay to blank of the egr valve. It is a common problem and a cheap fix. It will still pass it's MOT with this fix. Also make sure your air filter is spotless.
dingdongdo
[quote name='Fergal' timestamp='1321303271' post='152621']
You can buy a small stainless plate on ebay to blank of the egr valve. It is a common problem and a cheap fix. It will still pass it's MOT with this fix. Also make sure your air filter is spotless.
[/quote]

thanks for all the help so far.
well i finally got time to clean the egr valve. there wasn't much build up in there. i would say it reduced the bore by less than 10%. there was no splits in any pipes and everything looks in good condition. also the valve did seem operational as when i pushed the piston air was expelled from the small hole. there does seem to be some improvement as the smoke isn't quite as bad but still heavy. however the black build up was sticky and oily, is this normal. also by poking my finger into the manifold its clear that this has a large build up in there, can this be removed or does the manifold need replacing and will this go all the way into the head?
i think i need more advice on this.

thanks lee.
stef123
there is a guide on the net regarding cleaning the egr valve and manifold. yes it can be removed and cleaned, let me find the guide..

If you google mondeo egr clean, the first link should be to fordwiki..

Full Colour Version: Black Smoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615