Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orion Engine Problem!!!
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
neil d
Hi!
I have a 1989 ford orion with a 1600 cvh engine. Problem is it will not tick over - already replaced the carburettor, coil, distributor and the ignition amplifier module. Checked and cleaned all engine earths and engine breathing sytem seems to be working Ok. When the car cuts out, if the ignition is switched off and then straight back on again, the engine picks up. The strange thing is that i replaced a snapped bonnet earth strap and the car ran OK for 2 days without any problems but then started to cut out again. really appreciate any suggestions of where to go next.
Thank you!! Neil d
yozzerhughes
Hi,
Crikey your car is a blast from the past, i used too have a F 1988 1.4 lx orion. earthing can be a major problem on them due too there prone too rust, check all earths lights etc, i bet your loving the rust on the rear arches, got too say even though it was a rust bucket it was the 1 car i owned that mechanically never let me down, even on the long journeys to germany when i was posted there.
Mick
yozzerhughes
[quote name='neil d' timestamp='1316720422' post='145240']
Hi!
I have a 1989 ford orion with a 1600 cvh engine. Problem is it will not tick over - already replaced the carburettor, coil, distributor and the ignition amplifier module. Checked and cleaned all engine earths and engine breathing sytem seems to be working Ok. When the car cuts out, if the ignition is switched off and then straight back on again, the engine picks up. The strange thing is that i replaced a snapped bonnet earth strap and the car ran OK for 2 days without any problems but then started to cut out again. really appreciate any suggestions of where to go next.
Thank you!! Neil d
[/quote]

Hi again
on another note, due too it has carburettors, you need an inline fuel put in by yoursself or garage and you probably need the carb blasted through with compressed air, the fuel tanks on them love collecting crap then dumping them through the carb, its a bugger for idling.
Mick
neil d
[quote name='yozzerhughes' timestamp='1316803603' post='145400']
Hi again
on another note, due too it has carburettors, you need an inline fuel put in by yoursself or garage and you probably need the carb blasted through with compressed air, the fuel tanks on them love collecting crap then dumping them through the carb, its a bugger for idling.
Mick
[/quote]
Thanx for that- will give it a go!! I'll let you know wot happens!!!
Cheers1
neil!
sizak
fuel tank filter could be blocked?
mr pompey
being a cvh engine, it could be a breather pipe blocking up,

Full Colour Version: Orion Engine Problem!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.