Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Conditioning
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Parf
Im having a problem with my air conditioning. I have so far had a leak fixed, a full service and the air con belt changed. The air con comes on and its really cold but then it shuts off although the light on the button is still on. Its like the clutch disengages for a few minutes and then it kicks back in. Its similar to ECON that some cars have where it switches it on and off intermittantly to save fuel.

Is there a econ mode on the focus that has activated by a button press sequence. Does disconnecting the battery affect it or do i have a problem.
alz
Hi Parf

Check the radiator cooling fan, as it as two modes one to keep the condenser cool, if the fan is not working the aircon condenser gets to hot and keeps going off then cooling down and coming back on, then keeps going no/off...it is easy to test just turn on your aircon and look at the fan,,the same thing happened to my focus, it cost me just over £200 for a new fan and it was easy to fit
Parf
Thanks for the reply Alz. Ill try it tonight and let you know. I have the bike in work today, shame to waste a sunny day with dodgy air con.
alz
Have you had a look yet..?
Parf
yes, and when I put the air con on no fans are spinning. I tried it when the engine was cold too so the compressor would also be cold and still no air con.
alz
has soon as you put the aircon on (engine runing) the fan should be on, the condensor will get hot in seconds, then the presure switch (on the thin pipe) will turn off the aircon untill it cools down agian,, if the rad fan is not working ,then the aircon also will not work..
Parf
Ok thanks alz, looks like I need a new fan. Do I need the whole fan assembly or can I just get the controller. Are these genuine parts only?
stef123
[quote name='Parf' timestamp='1317623018' post='146846']
Ok thanks alz, looks like I need a new fan. Do I need the whole fan assembly or can I just get the controller. Are these genuine parts only?
[/quote]

before replacing the fan you should check the fuse for it first.
Parf
Yeah will do, ill check the relay too as it was intermittant so hopefully just a sticky relay.

Ive been reading about a resistor burning out as well, anyone know anything about that?
alz
have you checked the fan with the two fused wires?

if you do need to replace the fan,, it comes as complete unit,, and costs around £200..you could try a second hand unit,,and the resistor that you are talking about is an integral part of the fan.
Parf
where are the two fused wires? are they close to the connector?
alz
you have to make the test wires, like these.. put the test wires into the plug on top the the rad pic..
Parf
OK, so i just need to put 12V straight to the fan and see if it spins. Ill give it a go.

Thanks for the pictures Alz.
Parf
I have my car in work today so I did some investigation. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. When the A/C button is pressed the clutch engages and it spins. The rad cooling fan also came on. I turned it on and off a few times but its one of those times when it works so I guess im going to have to wait for it to stop working and have a look again. It seems to work fine in the cold but on a hot day it doesnt.

Full Colour Version: Air Conditioning
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.