Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.6 Tdci Tuning Box Do They Work
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
james_60
[size="3"]Hi

Just purchased a 60 plate ford direct focus titanium 1.6 tdci

I have seen lots of so called tuning box's available on ebay where you plug somethin in on the common rail etc

Do they actually work

Jamie
[/size]
tomo2001
Cheap ones just over fuel the car and make it smoke. Better off paying for a remap.
Haylo714
Hi Jamie,

I got one of these for my 08 1.8 TDCI Focus just yesterday! It seems to be working fine at the moment, defineteley got extra power, and the MPG computer is showing an imrpovement of 8+ MPG! I will have to ensure that the figure being read is correct though, I don't see how it can give me a smoother power delivery with more power but yet improve the econemy.

I've noticed now though the turbo is on more, driving with the windows down you can hear it whistling almost constantly.

the only gripe is I don't understand how it works, and I'm the type of person who HAS to know. They'll tell you what they do, but not how they work! I've stuck it on the maximum power setting, had no idle issues, no smoke issues (I changed my fuel filter the day before ,and my oil the day before that. Read the listings carefully though, they do mention DPF's but I haven't got one on my car so no need for me to worry.

I bought a CR Tech jobby (or blue automotive) box off ebay for 90ish quid including postage. Edd the guy selling them is really helpful.

Fitting was really easy, literally just unplug the injector sensor and plug the box in, then the old plug into the box aswell.
Lenny
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1317370273' post='146379']
Cheap ones just over fuel the car and make it smoke. Better off paying for a remap.
[/quote]

This is what i would like for Christmas [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superchips-Bluefin-Chip-Focus-1-6-TDCi-FREE-K-N-Filter-/170699354375?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27be797107"][color="#0000ff"]Click Here [/color][/url]it guaranteed to save fuel and more power,
plug it in to the car for the duration of the map transfer then your done,

it takes the map in your car at the moment and saves it in itself,
then gives your car the bluefin map.

so if your ever selling the car your leaving it in for a service you can easily restore the stock performance again.

this system will not effect the software updates from ford either as the GEM stores the updates and this works with the ecu system

bit pricey but well worth it, and future updates for performance are available for download on the bluefin website, and a name you can trust

rather than buying from a username like: [b][i]speedygonzallis[/i][/b] on e-bay that's selling a soldered chip that they manufactured in collage when doing a computer course, with flashy led's and a size 6 model printed to the side of the box :lol:

Just an example if someone out there has the username speedygonzallis as their e-bay account I would like to say ''Hello'' and i hope your making enogh money selling Drake Box's to buy yourself a Blue fin system. :P

as any one selling these Bandit Box's will know there not the proper thing for the life of your engine.
Haylo714
[quote name='Lenny' timestamp='1317371098' post='146381']
This is what i would like for Christmas [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superchips-Bluefin-Chip-Focus-1-6-TDCi-FREE-K-N-Filter-/170699354375?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27be797107"][color="#0000ff"]Click Here [/color][/url]it guaranteed to save fuel and more power,
plug it in to the car for the duration of the map transfer then your done,

it takes the map in your car at the moment and saves it in itself,
then gives your car the bluefin map.

so if your ever selling the car your leaving it in for a service you can easily restore the stock performance again.

this system will not effect the software updates from ford either as the GEM stores the updates and this works with the ecu system

bit pricey but well worth it, and future updates for performance are available for download on the bluefin website, and a name you can trust

rather than buying from a username like: [b][i]speedygonzallis[/i][/b] on e-bay that's selling a soldered chip that they manufactured in collage when doing a computer course, with flashy led's and a size 6 model printed to the side of the box :lol:

Just an example if someone out there has the username speedygonzallis as their e-bay account I would like to say ''Hello'' and i hope your making enogh money selling Drake Box's to buy yourself a Blue fin system. :P

as any one selling these Bandit Box's will know there not the proper thing for the life of your engine.
[/quote]

I would also agree, the only reason I didn't get one was because of the price. 400, maybe someday! haha.
james_60
Hi Haylo

my car has a dpf filter so will this be affected.

Maybe i should email the seller. Did you buy yours from djdafish

Jamie

p.s thanks for everyone elses replies
Lenny
[quote name='Haylo714' timestamp='1317370605' post='146380']
Hi Jamie,

I got one of these for my 08 1.8 TDCI Focus just yesterday! It seems to be working fine at the moment, defineteley got extra power, and the MPG computer is showing an imrpovement of 8+ MPG! I will have to ensure that the figure being read is correct though, I don't see how it can give me a smoother power delivery with more power but yet improve the econemy.

I've noticed now though the turbo is on more, driving with the windows down you can hear it whistling almost constantly.

[/quote]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]None of my Business really mate, [/font][/size]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]But I would have concerns about your turbo running constant boost, you may wish to purchase a turbo timer, which will run your engine for a period of time after you have removed the key, locked the car and walked away[/font][/size]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]This piece of kit runs the engine till the turbo has cooled down enough to switch off, saving the life of the turbo and preventing it from splitting with the heat some day.:blink: [/font][/size]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]As boost is only meant to happen at a set RPM like 2000rpm and shoot you up to for example 6000rpm in a couple of seconds, or certantly quicker than it did fro 0rpm to 2000rpm as the turbo has taken effect,[/font][/size]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]Just a thought as i said none of my business ;) [/font][/size]
Haylo714
[quote name='james_60' timestamp='1317371976' post='146384']
Hi Haylo

my car has a dpf filter so will this be affected.

Maybe i should email the seller. Did you buy yours from djdafish

Jamie

p.s thanks for everyone elses replies
[/quote]

Hiya Jamie,

Yeah djdafish is the guy. His names Edd.

Lenny, when I drive it again i'll see what RPM's I can hear it and let you know. :)
Lenny
[quote name='Haylo714' timestamp='1317372390' post='146390']
Hiya Jamie,

Yeah djdafish is the guy. His names Edd.

Lenny, when I drive it again i'll see what RPM's I can hear it and let you know. :)
[/quote]

no prob mate, you should see the needle move slowly up the rev's and then Kick up quickly
when the turbo takes effect.
james_60
where is the turbo located on our cars

Jamie :o
jeebowhite
First of all - they way they work...

Some work by (as stated) over injecting the fuel, this puts more fuel in and gets more power, however they way they do this is also by restricting the fuel when the car is at a stable RPM.

Others will work by tricking the ECU into thinking its running at a higher RPM, and as such tricks the turbo into running sooner, which doesnt inject more fuel, gives it a bit more of a kick and then the turbo cancels out when its at the usual rev range.

Finally others will work by confusing the engine into doing less work at the RPM its at. Some boxes have various settings, high resistance and lower resistance are all factors that will cause the engine and the turbo to either work harder (both) Turbo more (more fuel) or turbo less (less fuel).

Most people see that it works by increasing the power and less fuel because its tricking things. I agree with the idea as to letting the turbo cool down and then switching off.

DPF Filters are seldom affected, primarily because the only difference can sometimes be the amount of fuel used, so you may get more fuel caught in it, but will help when it gets to temperature and will help to combust the remaining cack in the filter, so they very rarely affect the DPF.

Finally, the turbo is in various places, but most of the time I believe its contained near the air filter. Cant say I ever found it on my Focus, but I was never bothered enough to look
Haylo714
i've also heard of some tricking the engine thermostat into thinking it's still cold, using more fuel and slightly higher RPM, haha..

They can't compete with a proper remap, but for the money you get what you pay for.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615