Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Window Re Bonded
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
artscot79
hi guys just thought ide post this up,ive seen many people say they have a mystery water leak on the mk2 focus well i found mine and it wasnt what i expected.

if you open the boot you will see under where the spoiler sits theres a plastic panel that pulls off well under that you will see the top of the rear window now push on it and see if it moves away from the bonding mine did as well as the spoiler bolt holes leaking so all off to ford today as its under warranty the rear glass was removed and re bonded and the spoiler removed and new seals fitted.

when the window leaks or the spoiler bolts it runs down the interior plastic trim to the back of the boot trim it then drips down and gets under the rubber seal making its way through any gap and finally to the boot floor top tip get some cheap gutter sealant and apply it to any suspect areas on a day when you know it will rain the sealant wont dry instead it shows the water leaking past it if it has dried thats not the source of the leak.

and another thing genuine mudflaps for the mk2 are a real pain in the axxe to fit the mk1 was a ten minute job not these difficult sods but there done now after a good while of spitting the dummy and cursing
Lenny
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1318451448' post='148296']
hi guys just thought ide post this up,ive seen many people say they have a mystery water leak on the mk2 focus well i found mine and it wasnt what i expected.

if you open the boot you will see under where the spoiler sits theres a plastic panel that pulls off well under that you will see the top of the rear window now push on it and see if it moves away from the bonding mine did as well as the spoiler bolt holes leaking so all off to ford today as its under warranty the rear glass was removed and re bonded and the spoiler removed and new seals fitted.

when the window leaks or the spoiler bolts it runs down the interior plastic trim to the back of the boot trim it then drips down and gets under the rubber seal making its way through any gap and finally to the boot floor top tip get some cheap gutter sealant and apply it to any suspect areas on a day when you know it will rain the sealant wont dry instead it shows the water leaking past it if it has dried thats not the source of the leak.

[/quote]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]My boot hasnít leaked (Yet) but Iíve fitted an ST rear spoiler,
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]Ever since I did fit it, after the car has gotten wet either by rain or car wash,
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]The first time I open the boot after,, [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Water runs out from either side of the spoiler down on to the roof,
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]I donít like the sight of it and the rear spoiler is fitted by Ford manufacturers instructions
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]I plan to remove the spoiler and tiger seal the complete area prior to bolting it back up again,
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]This should prevent any leaks or puddles.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Anyone else notice this with either their ST or standard rear spoiler? when they open their boot[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]And also the main topic with the glass seal?:) [/size][/font]

artscot79
[quote name='Lenny' timestamp='1318452247' post='148300']
[font="Calibri"][size="3"]My boot hasn't leaked (Yet) but I've fitted an ST rear spoiler,
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]Ever since I did fit it, after the car has gotten wet either by rain or car wash,
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]The first time I open the boot after,, [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Water runs out from either side of the spoiler down on to the roof,
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]I don't like the sight of it and the rear spoiler is fitted by Ford manufacturers instructions
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]I plan to remove the spoiler and tiger seal the complete area prior to bolting it back up again,
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]This should prevent any leaks or puddles.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Anyone else notice this with either their ST or standard rear spoiler? when they open their boot[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]And also the main topic with the glass seal?:) [/size][/font]

[/quote]

the worst part about the glass seal is its hidden and the water quickly drains away into the trim i could fit a credit card into the gap its all rebonded now the ford guy said if it was just the spoiler you dont have to remove it just loosen the bolts enough apply seal then tighten after 10 mins

Full Colour Version: Rear Window Re Bonded
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.