Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Much To Fit Another Turbo To A 1.8 Td Di?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
makttr
Hi all does anyone have any idea what the likely cost is to fit a Turbo to a 2002 1.8 td di? I already have a Turbo just need someone to fit it to the car. Have rung the local garages but they all just said bring it in and we'll have a look at it, which just makes me think they're going to sting me, again! I don't think I'd be able to do it myself unless its just a case of disconnect some hoses, remove + replace.

Thanks for any help
alz
Hi Matt
what as made you think that your turbo as failed, I ask you this because I changed my sons 1.8 tdi focus turbo, I was told that the turbo had gone by a garage.. [u]only to find out it was a blocked catalyst[/u]. it was a waste of my time changing the turbo,, the symptoms that we got was a lack of power, black smoke and a whistling noise. the cost of the turbo depends on where you get it from..

how I removed ours

I changed our turbo it was with the exhaust waste gate manifold,

I took the inter cooler off, battery and it carrier, air filter housing all to make room, the intake manifold had to come off, then the oil feed to the turbo and the exhaust manifold, and four nuts holding it to the catalyst, to refit you will need a new oil seal for the turbo oil feed pipe, and gaskets for the manifolds. fitting is the reverse of removal, as you can see from this it is a lot of work for being given the wrong advise, make sure that it is the turbo!! before you buy one..
makttr
[quote name='alz' timestamp='1318708155' post='148676']
Hi Matt
what as made you think that your turbo as failed, I ask you this because I changed my sons 1.8 tdi focus turbo, I was told that the turbo had gone by a garage.. [u]only to find out it was a blocked catalyst[/u]. it was a waste of my time changing the turbo,, the symptoms that we got was a lack of power, black smoke and a whistling noise. the cost of the turbo depends on where you get it from..

how I removed ours

I changed our turbo it was with the exhaust waste gate manifold,

I took the inter cooler off, battery and it carrier, air filter housing all to make room, the intake manifold had to come off, then the oil feed to the turbo and the exhaust manifold, and four nuts holding it to the catalyst, to refit you will need a new oil seal for the turbo oil feed pipe, and gaskets for the manifolds. fitting is the reverse of removal, as you can see from this it is a lot of work for being given the wrong advise, make sure that it is the turbo!! before you buy one..
[/quote]

Cheers for replying, hmmm I have the same symptoms but I'm sure the smoke was blueish and was told that was the oil from inside the turbo? But now I'm not so sure? I don't really want to start it to see. I got the turbo for 83 with 180 days warranty so not too bad.

Thank you for the info, yea a lot of work if I can't find out anymore I'll just have to change it and see.
focus steve77
Sure its not big intercooler airpipe i had one of these with a slight split in it and it gave me your symptoms
1: Lack of power
2: Whistling noise
3: Smoke when foot down

It was not on a Focus but on the mondeo tdci, might be worth checking as its a cheap and easy fix if it is that.
Good luck anyway
alz
Hi matt

is the turbo that you got complete with the wastegate manifold ? if it is, fine, if not the wastegate manifold still needs to come off, do not try and fit the turbo to the wastegate your self, it needs to be aligned with the wastegate or you could damage your engine.

plus have you got the right one for your car, there are two types of turbo, for the focus one as a bottom oil feed / return, the other one as a top oil feed and bottom oil return, yours should have the bottom oil feed / return

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.