Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Assist Failure
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
starfield
The 'Steering Assist Failure' appeared on the dash on Monday morning. I have driven around 1 mile from my house. It appeared very briefly. It disappeared as quickly as it came on. There was no change in the way the steering felt though. I have to admit though that I have increased the tyre pressure in both the front and rear tyres (2.3 bar and 2.6 bar respectively). I was driving to Amsterdam that day with 3 passengers and luggage.
Could the increase in tyre pressure caused the brief 'warning' to come on?
ChrisH
I would be suspecting the power steering pump on the way out.... This happened to me, and a week later the power steering pump failed. Luckily the car was still under warrenty... Mine was also a 56 plate focus...
starfield
[quote name='ChrisH' timestamp='1319831096' post='150366']
I would be suspecting the power steering pump on the way out.... This happened to me, and a week later the power steering pump failed. Luckily the car was still under warrenty... Mine was also a 56 plate focus...
[/quote]

Hi ChrisH,

How much did that cost?
jeebowhite
Under warranty it would have been free. I previously had this 1. After i had an accident, only bonnet and bumper damage but the impact upset the steering.
2. After i hit a pot hole on a country road it used to flash up

Thankfully it went away after a week or so, like you responsiveness was fine throughout.
starfield
I would like to add that the 'steering assist failure' indication appeared at the very initial stage of my outwards journey to Amsterdam. It did not manifest itself again (more than 600 miles later). Should I conclude that this matter is an ECU mistake?
jeebowhite
I recon you could probably (safely) assume that, its possibly just a misreading from a sensor, and it cleared up, so dont worry too much about it, unless it occurs again you should be fine. chance bash (gently) a pothole, or kurb just before it happened?
starfield
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1320067236' post='150691']
I recon you could probably (safely) assume that, its possibly just a misreading from a sensor, and it cleared up, so dont worry too much about it, unless it occurs again you should be fine. chance bash (gently) a pothole, or kurb just before it happened?
[/quote]

I overinflated just before it happened (2.3 bar at the front and 2.6 at the rear)
artscot79
[quote name='starfield' timestamp='1320265907' post='151000']
I overinflated just before it happened (2.3 bar at the front and 2.6 at the rear)
[/quote]

possibly the fact the wheels were not contacting the ground fully just a stab in the dark but sounds plausible.........................i hope :unsure:
jeebowhite
Overinflating by that little a degree wouldnt cause the issue, if it hasnt happened again dont worry - cars with this level of technology and sensors will all have a 'moment' as we do as people / aliens (depending on how you class yourself!) otherwise, if it recurs get it checked!
starfield
I did the dash diagnostics after that and E196 was logged in. The car is running perfectly fine though.
jeebowhite
E196 (U2196) Invalid data for engine RPM (Invalid CAN message) - dont think thats got anything to do with it so I wouldnt worry...

Full Colour Version: Steering Assist Failure
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615