Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Focus 1.8Tddi Keeps Cutting Out?? Help Please
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
dj toner
my focus 1.8tddi (v reg) started to cut out while driving, would restart again no problem.. started to get worse the past few days. went out this mourning and it wont even turn over now!! Just a clicking sound. first thought was starter motor but that wouldnt cause the car to cut out while driving surley. Help needed asap

thanks tony
Pitmonster
The clicking sound when attempting to start sounds like a battery which doesn't have enough grunt to turn the engine over - I test drove a potential purchase a few weeks ago (mk2 TDCi Focus) and it did exactly the same when trying to start. I didn't buy it.

If your car has an electronic fuel pump, and the battery is low in charge, perhaps that could cause the engine to cut out temporarily - because there's no fuel getting to the engine?

Perhaps you could check the health of your battery and/or alternator?
dj toner
electronic fuel pump??? isnt the fuel pump ran off a cam belt?
Pitmonster
[quote name='dj toner' timestamp='1320680980' post='151657']
electronic fuel pump??? isnt the fuel pump ran off a cam belt?
[/quote]
It differs from car to car, some are mechanical and some are electronic, not sure which system your car uses
dj toner
Looking at it i think its ran from the belt.... i think it must be summit electrical. trid to start it again and the dials went mental a interior buzzer going off.

Battery now flat but have put on a new one but the same things happen.. darn focus!!
dj toner
Ok. charged the battery up last night.. car started and ran fine all day but now started to cut out while driving again... could the altenator be a cause???
fernsie
[quote name='dj toner' timestamp='1320778579' post='151824']
Ok. charged the battery up last night.. car started and ran fine all day but now started to cut out while driving again... could the altenator be a cause???
[/quote]

Yes ... that would explain a lot

Do you have a multi meter?
dj toner
Had battery tested and came up replace battery lol.. put a new 1 on see what happens i guess..
jeebowhite
if you have an alternator issue, replacing the battery is only a part of the fix. you may end up killing this battery if your alternator is still kaput - good luck and hopefully it is all you need!
fernsie
If you have/can get hold of a multi meter, turn the dial to twenty and stick it on the car ... red to red etc

The reading should come back above 13.5v, better 14.5v, with the car ticking over ... this indicates that the alternator is working
- Should be 12v with the car switched off
jeebowhite
Sounds like it could be alternator, or it could also be bad luck! what exactly do you do / feel before the car cuts out? do you floor it, feel a bump then gone, or does it just fade away? or does it just fall apart...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.