Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Egr Valve Problems
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
jonathan18
Hi, I have a ford focus 1.8tdci 55plate, i was driving home from work last night and a "Engine system fault" came on the dash computer and a red light at the side, the car came to a juddering holt. i turned the car off and restarted it after 2 mins and the car worked fine. i have been informed that this is probebly an EGR valve problem but this sounds expensive as the EGR valve is part of the manifold so my question is can the EGR valve be cleaned?i just wanted to add i only do about 5 miles per day in traffic so the car does not get a good run very often, could this be part of the problem? thanks
fernsie
As long as you are not scared of a spanner, then it's an easy enough job to run a cleaner through it

See the following two threads ...

[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/27752-tdci-18-wynns-egr-cleaner/page__p__149347__hl__wynns__fromsearch__1#entry149347"]<< Thread One >>[/url]

[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/28044-starting-to-hate-my-focus/page__p__151947__hl__wynns__fromsearch__1#entry151947"]<< Thread Two >>[/url] ... towards the bottom for what appears to be the helping this issue
Barry_
Yup that could help if its a EGR issue. The spray made a noticable difference to the car for me.

You tried the dash board trick (see sticky at top of focus forum) see if there are any DTC codes shown and then see if you find out what they mean?

5 miles a day is not really ideal diesel use - A petrol would be better, but still. Depending on any DTC codes and if you decide to try the wynns stuff take it on to the motorway for a good long blast - This means floor it from 1st up through the gears to the red line - and try to stick to 4th on motorway for a bit, drop speed drop to third and floor it again - read they call this a Italian Boot or something - suppose it helps to kick a ton of crap out of the car - if you do it at night you will see a ton of smoke behind you from the other cars headlights.

Being the 1.8 its got no DPF so it will always kick out some smoke but hopefully if the wynns helps and the driving like a 17 year old for a bit then it should not be as much from then on.

First port of call - check DTC codes on dash
jeebowhite
Barry_ - just so you know a 1.8 is not guaranteed to have no DPF - I thought the same thing and have found previously that there is a DPF on some 1.8's - some cars annoyingly dont stick to the rule! so its a heads up just in case :) I would say double check with your dealer by providing the VIN that you do not have the DPF!
Barry_
Yer u said before but i am 100% sure they don't - or should i say shouldn't!!! I spent hours and hours looking into the DPF stuff before i brought my motor, not once has it cropped up on a 1.8. Also read confirmation from ford that they don't.

Now there maybe the odd one with one fitted but i expect thats more someone being ripped off by a garage who fitted one needlessly.

Even tryed to locate one to buy online and cannot find one. tons for the 1.6 & 2.0 but nowt for the 1.8 ;)

Anyhow - checked the snowflake last night - orange = 4to1 degrees and red is less than 1 degree. Got the pic's for you too, just need to upload then to photobucket and then you can print them off :P
jonathan18
Thanks for the replys, i have tried the dash trick and no codes came up, if i use the winns spray is it ok to spray it through the air intake as that leads to the turbo?and im a little worried the spray will damage the turbo.

can i spray it in from the intercooler end? and if not which pipe do i take off so i can spray it directly onto the EGR?

Thanks for your help on this.
Barry_
See my thread which fernsie linked to in post 2
jonathan18
[quote name='Barry_' timestamp='1321188923' post='152425']
See my thread which fernsie linked to in post 2
[/quote]
thanks, i took the intercooler pipe off and stipped the egr valve (unclipped the power cable, took the black plastic plate off and the section with the motor inside, i then pulled the valve back in the brass fitting and cleaned with WD40)i tried to clean inside the intercooler opening with a tooth brush soaked in egr3. i then sprayed the rest of the can through the air intake and i must admit the car feels much better but i suppose only time will tell. thanks for your help on this and i will let you know how it goes.
jeebowhite
Barry_ I agree, its more a case of shouldnt have, but as you say, some poor sod would have been roped into it. Since learning of it I know I am going to advise the same - *shouldnt* but watch out just in case!

oh... and bring on the snowflakes... I will have to take photos of my newly fitted "snowflakes" when I get them... Otherwise, I think I am not sure if my car has these warnings...

Although I have to say, I wont be able to change my snowflake when the temperature drops... at least not with the car moving! lol

Jonathnan18, sorry for hijacking the thread there :P good luck and hope it works!
jonathan18
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1321360850' post='152691']
Barry_ I agree, its more a case of shouldnt have, but as you say, some poor sod would have been roped into it. Since learning of it I know I am going to advise the same - *shouldnt* but watch out just in case!

oh... and bring on the snowflakes... I will have to take photos of my newly fitted "snowflakes" when I get them... Otherwise, I think I am not sure if my car has these warnings...

Although I have to say, I wont be able to change my snowflake when the temperature drops... at least not with the car moving! lol

Jonathnan18, sorry for hijacking the thread there :P good luck and hope it works!
[/quote]

Full Colour Version: Egr Valve Problems
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.