Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S Max ST
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford S-Max Club
S-Max Bob
With talk of the Mk4 Mondeo ST why have we never got a S max ST ? Vauxhall have always done it with the Zalfia GSI & VXR and they seem to be popular :rolleyes: well if you like that sort of thing ;) we have the engine and a good chassis i say go for it :P
sobaka
[quote name='S-Max Bob' post='9685' date='Jan 11 2009, 09:58 PM']With talk of the Mk4 Mondeo ST why have we never got a S max ST ? Vauxhall have always done it with the Zalfia GSI & VXR and they seem to be popular :rolleyes: well if you like that sort of thing ;) we have the engine and a good chassis i say go for it :P[/quote]

That is not true Bobbie,
we did have a smax ST, pity it was not constructed by ford but by Hairy. This beast was a ~400 bhp with enormous torque. The thing even on paper looked really frightening.

Hairy informs me there are rumours in ford to have a real performance smax with a number of engines to choose. Would you mind sending your email address with PM, I would like to suggest you something. I feel the fiver me and my friends are sharing. ;)

If not Hairy will be here next week and will compliment my post.
zozzer
there has been much discussion all over the net about an RS-MAX, and the potential of the existing package to be upgraded.

A few people have pushed the 300bhp barrier with the 2.5T, and should be applauded for the determination, if you have read the Ford press you will see that there was/is a very very quick SMAX belonging to Hairy - it is not my tale to tell, so I will leave it up to him as to what he wants to say on the matter.

From my own individual investigations into the SMAX chassis I am 90% sure that there is space on the 'plan' for a 4x4 option, which with a big engine up front would be essential in my opinion to put the power down in a stable and drivable way.

I do how ever bow to those with 1st hand experience in all these matters = I am still very much on a learning curve.

When I have more time I am happy to post my thoughts on what for me is a now a long term project of buying a second hand 2.5T and 'playing with it' when time and resources allow - this may take me a while given the current work/life 'balance'. I use the term with the heaviest sense of irony I can muster.

We will see how things progress...
sobaka
[quote name='zozzer' post='9703' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:31 AM']there has been much discussion all over the net about an RS-MAX, and the potential of the existing package to be upgraded.

A few people have pushed the 300bhp barrier with the 2.5T, and should be applauded for the determination, if you have read the Ford press you will see that there was/is a very very quick SMAX belonging to Hairy - it is not my tale to tell, so I will leave it up to him as to what he wants to say on the matter.

From my own individual investigations into the SMAX chassis I am 90% sure that there is space on the 'plan' for a 4x4 option, which with a big engine up front would be essential in my opinion to put the power down in a stable and drivable way.

I do how ever bow to those with 1st hand experience in all these matters = I am still very much on a learning curve.

When I have more time I am happy to post my thoughts on what for me is a now a long term project of buying a second hand 2.5T and 'playing with it' when time and resources allow - this may take me a while given the current work/life 'balance'. I use the term with the heaviest sense of irony I can muster.

We will see how things progress...[/quote]

Come on, promises we have seen already :D Get on the track (reserve you the talk to your wife though) <where is the smiley for escape>
S-Max Bob
4x4/AWD........well thats another story ;) what ever happened to the ford 4x4 cars? was the 2.0 mk1 mondeo the last :blink: ???

not counting the Kuga, its a jeepie thing :lol:
zozzer
[quote name='S-Max Bob' post='9709' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:00 AM']4x4/AWD........well thats another story ;) what ever happened to the ford 4x4 cars? was the 2.0 mk1 mondeo the last :blink: ???

not counting the Kuga, its a jeepie thing :lol:[/quote]

exactly

I must admit I'm surprised the new Focus RS doesnt use AWD - Ford know do know to do it rather well...

this all harks back to the Volvo heritage of the chassis on the SMAX/Galaxy and Mondy as far as I can find out
S-Max Bob
[quote name='S-Max Bob' post='9709' date='Jan 12 2009, 07:00 AM']4x4/AWD........well thats another story ;) what ever happened to the ford 4x4 cars? was the 2.0 mk1 mondeo the last :blink: ???

not counting the Kuga, its a jeepie thing :lol:[/quote]

suppose the mk6 RS2000 4x4 ended the same time 96/97

But anyway should we should be looking for a s-max T5-R rather than a ST :P
zozzer
[quote name='S-Max Bob' post='9758' date='Jan 12 2009, 03:06 PM']suppose the mk6 RS2000 4x4 ended the same time 96/97

But anyway should we should be looking for a s-max T5-R rather than a ST :P[/quote]

basically, yes

interestingly there is a rare beast, a volvo XC90 V8, the SMAX as far as I know uses this chassis.

questions are:

1. would the SMAX floor plan accommodate an AWD system? from what I can make out, 'yes'.

2. whats the biggest engine you can get in an SMAX? the Yamaha derived V8 in the XC90 (and new S80) might...
S-Max Bob
[quote name='zozzer' post='9844' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:29 PM']basically, yes

interestingly there is a rare beast, a volvo XC90 V8, the SMAX as far as I know uses this chassis.

questions are:

1. would the SMAX floor plan accommodate an AWD system? from what I can make out, 'yes'.

2. whats the biggest engine you can get in an SMAX? the Yamaha derived V8 in the XC90 (and new S80) might...[/quote]

think that you would loose the movable middle seats with the tunnel and also the head room in the back row even if is possible to keep them ? and as for a V8 not sure you could shoehorn one of those in <_<
jasonmarie
I think the S MAX with have a face lift next year with the poss of a new engine !
zozzer
[quote name='jasonmarie' post='9900' date='Jan 13 2009, 09:03 PM']I think the S MAX with have a face lift next year with the poss of a new engine ![/quote]

apparently so... I'll b watching with interest

Full Colour Version: S Max ST
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.