Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent Starting Problems
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
nawaz
Hello everyone,

I am having this problem with a 2007 petrol ford focus zetec which has about 38K on the odometer. I have had it for a year and it has been great so far. But it has started to have this weird intermittent starting problems after some short journeys. When I turn the ignition, the starter motor turns, the engine tries to start but does not start. After 3 or 4 tries out of no where it starts as if nothing has happened.

It only happens when the engine is still warm after a short journey. The garage tried but there are no stored codes. So far I have changed the crankshaft position sensor and the spark plugs. They also tested the battery and it looks fine. There was some rusty residue in two (driver side) spark plug wells indicating that at some point some water had crept in there. I have changed the washer jets to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Any suggestions where to look to diagnose this problem? Would appreciate any help.

Cheers
btmaldon
Are you using the throttle to help start the car when it is warm? Ford say you should and included that in the handbook for some of my cars. Im not sure if the instruction is in the latest one though.
Preee
Sounds a little like fuel problem , maybe a small air leak and when its switched off and back on its sucking air and then starving it , then a few turns of the engine re-primes it back up to pressure. Can you smell petrol under the bonnet?

Just an Idea.
nawaz
Thanks btmaldon for the suggestion. I usually don't use the throttle to start it. However, when it is refusing to start I use it but it doesn't seem to help.

[quote name='btmaldon' timestamp='1321991268' post='153550']
Are you using the throttle to help start the car when it is warm? Ford say you should and included that in the handbook for some of my cars. Im not sure if the instruction is in the latest one though.
[/quote]
nawaz
Thanks Preee for the suggestion. I have looked under the hood a few times (even when it is warm) and there is so petrol smell. But I would keep it in mind and check again.
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1321993120' post='153556']
Sounds a little like fuel problem , maybe a small air leak and when its switched off and back on its sucking air and then starving it , then a few turns of the engine re-primes it back up to pressure. Can you smell petrol under the bonnet?

Just an Idea.
[/quote]
dicodread
I have the exact same problem. First thing in the morning is always fine but during the day between trips it is like rolling a dice when it comes time to start.

Is there any ideas on what is causing this?

Full Colour Version: Intermittent Starting Problems
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615