Just bought a 2003 Focus ST170. 74000 miles on the clock. All good except the clutch.
When I test drove it through town it seemed OK, but clutch started slipping on way home. Then I tested it, which made it worse. Now put in 4th 5th or 6th and put your toe down and the revs fly up as it slips. In 3rd it does it a little too. It's really noticible and needs to be fixed ASAP.
The clutch pedal engages right at the top, which makes me wonder if it's the clutch or the master cylinder not releasing the pressure to the slave. It's of course probably the clutch, but don't want to get that changed if it's not.
1. Anyone know a typical mileage when the clutch is likely to go?
2. Anyone know where the slave cylinder is located (so I can open the bleed valve to release any pressure to test if the master cylinder is faulty)?
3. Any way of adjusting anything that I am missing?
4. This typical? (I've Googled it but can't find anything)
5. Finally, typical cost of a new clutch fitted?
Thanks guys, and hopefully I'll be on the forum a bit now