Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Column Problem
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
stuart1988
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me i have a focus 03 1.8 tdi with adjustable steering column when it is locked the column moves side to side has any1 had this problem that can help?

Cheers :D
Preee
Hi and Welcome

Perhaps check Steering column upper mounting bolts are secure , you say side to sdie movement , when locked cen you move it up and down ?
stuart1988
side to side when locked in circles when unlocked bolts are all tight at the top of the column where it is bolted it is a weird setup with springs etc hooking round the bolts.
Preee
Sounds like the actual locking system is worn or come loose, i would imagine its some sort of pressure fit when locked shut , theres no mention of it in the Haynes manual.Sorry i have no idea what it could be.
stuart1988
does it mention anything about replacing 2 pins at the back of the column?
Preee
According to the Haynes manual if you remove the Steering column , it says you have to drill out 2 security bolts , but its not clear.
Preee
Excessive play in Steering:
1) Worn steering column universal joints
2)Worn steering track rod end balljoints
3)Worn steering gear
4)Worn steering or suspension joints, bushes or components
alz
Hi, It could be the top steering column bush, had one go on a 1999 1.8 tdi, i could not fix it, had to change the column ..I got one from e-bay, it is easy to change. see this link

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk1-98-05-Adjustable-Steering-Column-/200652704339?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb7d54a53"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk1-98-05-Adjustable-Steering-Column-/200652704339?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb7d54a53[/url]

Full Colour Version: Steering Column Problem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615