Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Warning Light On
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
jonnywoods
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can offer any advice.

My engine warning light is on. I ran a test (after googling it... I am useless with cars!!) and was told that I should get a DTC code at the end of it showing what the problem is. I got a message saying "none" which I read means there is actually nothing wrong. Is this correct? The warning light is still on. I have a full list of the codes it gave me if that would help?
H3lly
Have you checked the oils and fluids? is it down on power or misfiring (back firing)?
jonnywoods
Oil and fluids are fine. It was misfiring weeks ago but was fixed. Everything seems absolutely fine.
Chutney
It is definitely the engine warning light and not the battery light by chance? Easy mistake to make as that will not normally register a fault code, just that your battery will slowly drain until the car won't start or just switch itself off mud journey.

What engine does your car have as I would suspect that if it was a TDCi (with DPF) a generic code reader wouldn't pick up on a blocked DPF or empty Eloys fluid fault code.

I could be talking rubbish though.
mintalkin
what code reader was used for the scan?
jonnywoods
It's definitely the engine warning light, not the battery.

I did the self diagnostic test thingy. Where you hold the trip/reset button and the dials whirr around (beautifully described I think).
jonnywoods
Does anyone know what I should do?
Barry_
What happens when you switch the car off then back on - take it the light remains (only ask as mine as come on a couple of time since i got my motor and once switched off and back on it disappeared?? - Gremlins me thinks - no DTC codes either)

If its on constantly I personally not sure what else you can do - either buy a proper reader thingy bob off ebay or the like and try to see if that says anything or take it to Fords, stump up quiet a bit of cash and get them to plug it in and check????

Or if its running ok you could ignore it - but if there is something wrong which ain't obvious then you might cause more damage in the long run!

Ooh just thought - does it show any messages?? silly question but suppose its possible a door sensor or something is bust and its on coz thinks a door/boot/bonnet is open (did say it was a silly question :P)
jonnywoods
[quote name='jonnywoods' timestamp='1322575907' post='154534']
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can offer any advice.

My engine warning light is on. I ran a test (after googling it... I am useless with cars!!) and was told that I should get a DTC code at the end of it showing what the problem is. I got a message saying "none" which I read means there is actually nothing wrong. Is this correct? The warning light is still on. I have a full list of the codes it gave me if that would help?
[/quote]
jonnywoods
Yeah the light always stays on, and there's no message! The only thing I can see that's slightly low is the power steering fluid. It's still above the minimum line but not by much... could it be this?
merlie
my light comes on intermittently.

I've read elsewhere that its a case of disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Is this ok ? Has anybody else tried this ?

The car runs fine btw . Just had it fully serviced - codes revealed a coolant and camshaft error - but no probs with car whatsoever ... they cleared the codes but they did say that if they come up again it would have to goto a robbing main dealer ... they want 120 just to plug it into a laptop !
gwengo
I'm no expert, but it might be the ECU if everything else seems to be ok. Have you tried disconnecting the battery as merlie says? It's well worth a try before taking it to the main 'stealers'. What engine have you got? petrol or diesel?
jeebowhite
A disconnect of the battery for 15 minutes, can reset the ECU and allow the car to go into "training" mode to get used to your driving again, I had some problems before, and a reset resolved them easily enough. It does no harm nor damage, and for the sake of 15 minutes, its worth trying!
mintalkin
the dash will not show full dtc codes, either buy a cheap reader or get a local garage to read the codes for you.

Full Colour Version: Engine Warning Light On
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.