Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Revs
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
graz
Hi all. Recently my focus 2002 1.6 zetec had been not used for a month and since i got it back on the road it has developed a strange revving issue!

when i stop the car at a junction after pushing the clutch down the engine revs up to 2000 ish for about 5 seconds then drops down to idle, also pressing the brake when stationary cause the revs to increase for a few seconds but only up to about 1100.

any one got any ideas? i've checked for air leaks but can't find any. also used proscan to check the o2 sensor which looked ok. no dtc either

p.s i did replace the battery as it would not charge after going flat.
btmaldon
As you have replaced the battery, it may take a while for the Engine Mangement System re-learn all the settings. If it doesnt correct itself in a few days, it may be something else.
graz
[quote name='btmaldon' timestamp='1322745920' post='154786']
As you have replaced the battery, it may take a while for the Engine Mangement System re-learn all the settings. If it doesnt correct itself in a few days, it may be something else.
[/quote]

i thought that to begin with so i left it, it's been a few weeks now tho
Andy 1965
[quote name='graz' timestamp='1322742913' post='154784']
Hi all. Recently my focus 2002 1.6 zetec had been not used for a month and since i got it back on the road it has developed a strange revving issue!

when i stop the car at a junction after pushing the clutch down the engine revs up to 2000 ish for about 5 seconds then drops down to idle, also pressing the brake when stationary cause the revs to increase for a few seconds but only up to about 1100.

any one got any ideas? i've checked for air leaks but can't find any. also used proscan to check the o2 sensor which looked ok. no dtc either

p.s i did replace the battery as it would not charge after going flat.
[/quote]
Hi Graeme. It could be the throttle position sensor on the way out. I had this problem with my Focus. Try unplugging the TPS to see how it runs and this should confirm if the TPS is faulty. Easy to fix. New one on ebay for 23.
graz
[quote name='Andy 1965' timestamp='1322873423' post='155047']
Hi Graeme. It could be the throttle position sensor on the way out. I had this problem with my Focus. Try unplugging the TPS to see how it runs and this should confirm if the TPS is faulty. Easy to fix. New one on ebay for 23.
[/quote]

cheers i'll try that tomoz or today now
graz
[quote name='Andy 1965' timestamp='1322873423' post='155047']
[/quote]

i unplugged the tps but it made no difference! but i have discovered if i pump the breaks the revs increase a little at a time. i stopped at 2500 rpm.
Does anyone have any ideas? is there anywhere i can get details like the ideal manifold psi etc. i have a obd cable but without anything to compare the sensors to everything looks fine.

cheers

Full Colour Version: Engine Revs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.