Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pls Help Ford Focus 2008 Facelift 1.6 Or 1.8 Petrol
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Jay75
Hi All,
I am in the Market for a facelift (2008) focus. I have a budget of 6k. I will doing a 42 mile trip a day consist of 70% dual carriage and 30% town. Total annual mileage will be approx 11k.

Confused on whether to buy a 1.6 or a 1.8 petrol. (the diesel are out of my budget as I want a 2008 facelift model)

Are all the 1.6 zetec models all 115 bhp? I know the 1.6 will be better on fuel will it feel gutless?

What would you guys recommend. Any help would be most grateful.

Thanks
Jay
mitch84
[quote name='Jay75' timestamp='1322863727' post='155026']
Hi All,
I am in the Market for a facelift (2008) focus. I have a budget of 6k. I will doing a 42 mile trip a day consist of 70% dual carriage and 30% town. Total annual mileage will be approx 11k.

Confused on whether to buy a 1.6 or a 1.8 petrol. (the diesel are out of my budget as I want a 2008 facelift model)

Are all the 1.6 zetec models all 115 bhp? I know the 1.6 will be better on fuel will it feel gutless?

What would you guys recommend. Any help would be most grateful.

Thanks
Jay
[/quote]

Hi

I just got a focus 1.6tdci titanium (facelift 60 plate) for £6500 , but I did trade in my 09 plate mk7 fiesta for it.

I remember filling up all the time when I had a focus 1.6 petrol as a hire car , seemed to feel like I was forever in a petrol station ,are you thinking about part exchange or do you not own a car at present?

here is the some focus figures-

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/ford/focus/hatchback-2005/
Jay75
[quote name='mitch84' timestamp='1322913001' post='155062']
Hi Mitch

The diesel are not in my budget as I only want to spend 6k and find the newest possible car and low mileage. The 1.8 seems to be cheaper and there a few round the 6k Mark with 30,000 miles

Just wanted opinions on what's best 1.6 or 1.8, obviously I want something economical but I do want it to be fund to drive too.
artscot79
[quote name='mitch84' timestamp='1322913001' post='155062']
Hi Mitch

The diesel are not in my budget as I only want to spend 6k and find the newest possible car and low mileage. The 1.8 seems to be cheaper and there a few round the 6k Mark with 30,000 miles

Just wanted opinions on what's best 1.6 or 1.8, obviously I want something economical but I do want it to be fund to drive too.
[/quote]

not all 1.6 are 115 bhp theres the standard 1.6 with 100bhp then theres the 1.6 ti-vct which i have thats 115bhp and has the same power and torque as the 1.8 this engine replaced the 1.8 it does require higher revs for spirited driving but its fast enough faster than my old 1.8 overtaking in 5th is easy and if you keep the revs up youll be surprised how fast it shifts 1.8 is only cheaper as its higher road tax and lower mpg in short the 1.6 tivct is the one to go for
Jay75
Well I'm finally the proud owner of a focus 1.6 zetec model, it's great car.

Now I have a zetec 2008 model and it has the aluminium brushed silver effect surrounding around the gearbox. This has all been scratched by the previous owner anywhere I can buy this as a cheap replacement, or any ideas how I can cover this? This is the only thing annoying me with the car.

Thanks
Jay
btmaldon
You can get that part from a main dealer. Its not overly costly. Its worth popping in to see how much they want for it.
jeebowhite
Agreed, +1 btmaldon, you can buy parts fairly cheap from them, it just depends on how courageous you are with taking your car apart, as to wether or not you want to proceed down that line or get it replaced for you, but my bet on that particular part would be around £18 to buy it outright (maybe + VAT on there as well!)
Nigel S
I would go 1.8 - it is a newer designed engine and is more reliable.
artscot79
[quote name='Nigel S' timestamp='1323699036' post='156192']
I would go 1.8 - it is a newer designed engine and is more reliable.
[/quote]

the 1.8 isnt actually more reliable with higher mpg and the same power as the ti-vct its pretty redundant The crank is strong but the rods and pistons aren’t necessarily so. They owe their appearance to proper race items but in truth, the ultra-slim skirted pistons are cast rather than forged. The rods are a touch boxy although they’re svelte. [list][*]Variable camshaft timing uses oil pressure to adjust valve opening and closing events, providing improved off-the-line acceleration over non-VCT equipped engines[*]Variable valve overlap from Ti-VCT provides better fuel economy and emissions, along with optimized cold-start operation vs. conventional engines[/list]thats why the new focus has the ti-vct engine as does fiestas and kugas and mondeos while the 1.8 has been dropped or made into a ti-vct and is the best engine to go for in the new focus as it was in the mk2 not blowing my trumpet but these were the issues i weighed up when choosing between the two.the newest 2011 version of the engine is the same engine and apart from the diesels is the flagship engine
starfield
[quote name='artscot79' timestamp='1322943023' post='155136']
not all 1.6 are 115 bhp theres the standard 1.6 with 100bhp then theres the 1.6 ti-vct which i have thats 115bhp and has the same power and torque as the 1.8 this engine replaced the 1.8 it does require higher revs for spirited driving but its fast enough faster than my old 1.8 overtaking in 5th is easy and if you keep the revs up youll be surprised how fast it shifts 1.8 is only cheaper as its higher road tax and lower mpg in short the 1.6 tivct is the one to go for
[/quote]

i thought the 1.8 is 125 bhp which is better than the 1.6 ti-vct. it is a bit heavy on petrol and very reliable.
if given a choice now, i would go for a 1.8 tsi octavia. it is seriously fast
artscot79
[quote name='starfield' timestamp='1323722426' post='156236']
i thought the 1.8 is 125 bhp which is better than the 1.6 ti-vct. it is a bit heavy on petrol and very reliable.
if given a choice now, i would go for a 1.8 tsi octavia. it is seriously fast
[/quote]

1.8 is 125 bhp with 122nm torque 0-60 10.3 combined mpg 40 169g co2 1337kg weight
1.6 ti- 115 bhp with 114nm torque 0-60 10.8 combined mpg 43 157g co2 1285kg weight
1.6 sport 100bhp with 108nm torque 0-60 11.9 combined mpg 42mpg co2 159 1265kg weight
bearing the ti vct produces more torque at low revs the extra cost of the road tax is pointless the tivct provides all that torque at 15oorpm the 1.8 needs revved to 6200rpm to get the full torque working the engine far harder the 1.6 has lower weight and co2 it evens the figures out there the choices i had so picked the ultra reliable 1.6 ti-vcthaving driven the 1.8 it wasnt for me but both are equally good but practicality wise and given 1.8 gets hit every year with higher and higher road tax i had to say no the government made it clear it wants the bigger engines off the road

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.