Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mk3 Focus Unlocking Problem
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
tomo2001
Came out to car this afternoon and wanted to open boot. Pressed button on keyfob - NOTHING. Pressed unlock button to open car - NOTHING, pressed lock button on fob - NOTHING. Tried boot again - NOTHING. Thought 'Oh Shizzle !!'

Grabbed front drivers side handle (car has useless, sorry.......... keyless entry) NOTHING
Grabbed rear drivers side handle - BINGO !! car unlocked but alarm went off.

Pressed keyfob and this cancelled the alarm so keyfob working. Got in car, started up and set off driving. Noticed on journey home, outside temperature not being displayed just this [b]---[/b]. Stopped part way at services. Locked car, came back, unlocked and everything ok again. Outside temperature working again.

Before people jump on here and say should have took it to dealers or take it to dealers tomorrow, This was at 15:30 followed by a 4.5hr drive home and I'm irritable and wondered if anyone else has seen similar problems ??
alz
Hi Paul

you say nothing would open, yet the rear was open, could it have just been that the rear was not shut all the way, this could stop you unlocking the car, if one door was still open... I say this because, after it was all working fine. it is worth considering this before you take it back to the dealers..
tomo2001
[quote name='alz' timestamp='1323897918' post='156524']
Hi Paul

you say nothing would open, yet the rear was open, could it have just been that the rear was not shut all the way, this could stop you unlocking the car, if one door was still open... I say this because, after it was all working fine. it is worth considering this before you take it back to the dealers..
[/quote]

Hi Alan,
The only door that had been open when I arrived on site was the drivers door and when I left the car I know it was fully closed. If the door had been left slightly open, surely you would see the interior light on ?? (was dark when I left and returned to the car) or the alarm would have been sounding all day.

Just seemed strange that the car worked on the keyless entry but not with the key at first ??
jeebowhite
The Foci allows for all other doors to lock if one door is open, then the final door will lock when closed, so I can see where the logic comes in, however, the fact that you didnt get readings for the temperature indicates to me more of an electrical / connection issue.

First of all, is this a one off, or do you have any other recurring problems? thats the best place to start when diagnosing?

Secondly, when the temperature display kicked in, what was the ambient temperature displayed?

Finally, where was the car parked / what sort of gradient when you locked it up - before it started thinking for itself?
tomo2001
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1323952074' post='156556']
The Foci allows for all other doors to lock if one door is open, then the final door will lock when closed, so I can see where the logic comes in, however, the fact that you didnt get readings for the temperature indicates to me more of an electrical / connection issue.

First of all, is this a one off, or do you have any other recurring problems? thats the best place to start when diagnosing?

Secondly, when the temperature display kicked in, what was the ambient temperature displayed?

Finally, where was the car parked / what sort of gradient when you locked it up - before it started thinking for itself?
[/quote]

Hi Jeebowhite

First time I've had it happen yesterday but Keyless entry been hit and miss from day 1. (Other members on here reported similar issues). Will see if it re-occurs although yesterday was the coldest daytime temp the car has been stood in around 0-1C in Glasgow.

When temperature display kicked in after stopping at services (at Bolton), display read normal 3C.

When the car was parked up in Glasgow it was on a flat level car park.
Preee
One tip i found with my Keyless entry was to keep the keys in a different pocket to my phone , as the phone can mess up the signal , but like Jeebowhite say's , looks like maybe a underlining fault with your temp not reading.
My Keyless entry had to be Software upgraded with all keys re-programmed by ford after it Would not let me in the car , at the same time wiping out my USB stick B) to which that also had an upgrade at the same time .

Ford did not have an answer as to why both happened at the same time, and no error codes were stored.
tomo2001
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1323953879' post='156567']
One tip i found with my Keyless entry was to keep the keys in a different pocket to my phone , as the phone can mess up the signal , but like Jeebowhite say's , looks like maybe a underlining fault with your temp not reading.
My Keyless entry had to be Software upgraded with all keys re-programmed by ford after it Would not let me in the car , at the same time wiping out my USB stick B) to which that also had an upgrade at the same time .

Ford did not have an answer as to why both happened at the same time, and no error codes were stored.
[/quote]

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. My keys were in my hand and the phone in my coat pocket. The original problem was that the actual keyfob was unresponsive before even trying the keyless entry. With the temperature display I think electrical gremlins are at work !!
Preee
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1323954247' post='156569']
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. My keys were in my hand and the phone in my coat pocket. The original problem was that the actual keyfob was unresponsive before even trying the keyless entry. With the temperature display I think electrical gremlins are at work !!
[/quote]

Hi Tomo

My Story lol

Mate turned up not long after i had the car , "lets have a look then"
Handed him the keys , he pressed the remote "nothing"
i Said pull the handle "nothing happened"

I tried both would not let me, tried several time's "red faced at this point" in so out with the hide away key , opened the drivers door alarm went off , pressed keyfob nothing happened , jumped in , pressed start button , "nothing " , pulled cover off steering column key slot inserted key and press button car alarm stopped and car started.!
mate laughing hard now followed by a few sarcastic remark's about trading it in :lol:

Stopped car jumped out pressed car door lock and car locked , Still keyfob would not open the door but pulling on door unlocked it , 15 minutes later all back to normal :ph34r:

So ! ok working now check out the stereo , on screen USB not recognized !!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrr
Mate said i'm going you look like your gonna blow !!

Stupidly i used another memory stick to test making sure it worked before i tried and it also killed it.

managed to get it booked in the next day and all fixed , apart from wife having to take other 2 keys down to them to reprogram.

Not had a problem since.
tomo2001
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1323955150' post='156572']
Hi Tomo

My Story lol

Mate turned up not long after i had the car , "lets have a look then"
Handed him the keys , he pressed the remote "nothing"
i Said pull the handle "nothing happened"

I tried both would not let me, tried several time's "red faced at this point" in so out with the hide away key , opened the drivers door alarm went off , pressed keyfob nothing happened , jumped in , pressed start button , "nothing " , pulled cover off steering column key slot inserted key and press button car alarm stopped and car started.!
mate laughing hard now followed by a few sarcastic remark's about trading it in :lol:

Stopped car jumped out pressed car door lock and car locked , Still keyfob would not open the door but pulling on door unlocked it , 15 minutes later all back to normal :ph34r:

So ! ok working now check out the stereo , on screen USB not recognized !!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrr
Mate said i'm going you look like your gonna blow !!

Stupidly i used another memory stick to test making sure it worked before i tried and it also killed it.

managed to get it booked in the next day and all fixed , apart from wife having to take other 2 keys down to them to reprogram.

Not had a problem since.
[/quote]

Maybe a similar problem then ?, I guess there will be same/similar electrical systems used in both the Mk2.5 and Mk3 cars.
Preee
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1323955306' post='156573']
Maybe a similar problem then ?, I guess there will be same/similar electrical systems used in both the Mk2.5 and Mk3 cars.
[/quote]

I would imagine there will be alot of similar circuits and parts between the models
Or could just be a Gremilin or maybe your phone updated location signal just as you pressed the fob and anti jamming on car reacted badly , until it happens again probably find it hard to pin point
tomo2001
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1323955612' post='156574']
I would imagine there will be alot of similar circuits and parts between the models
Or could just be a Gremilin or maybe your phone updated location signal just as you pressed the fob and anti jamming on car reacted badly , until it happens again probably find it hard to pin point
[/quote]

Really that sensitive to phone signals ??
Preee
[quote name='tomo2001' timestamp='1323957923' post='156580']
Really that sensitive to phone signals ??
[/quote]

From my manual
[font="FordCE-LightExt"][size="1"][font="FordCE-LightExt"][size="1"][left]The keyless entry system may not[/left]
[left]function if the key is close to metal[/left]
[left]objects or electronic devices such[/left]
as mobile phones.

[/size][/font][/size][/font][font="FordCE-LightExt"][size="1"][font="FordCE-LightExt"][size="1"][left]If the door handles are pulled[/left]
[left]repeatedly during a short period of time[/left]
[left]without the presence of a valid passive[/left]
[left]key, the system will become inoperable[/left]
[left]for 30 seconds.[/left]
[left]The passive entry system will not function[/left]
[left][size="2"][b]if:[/b][/size][/left]
[/size][/font][/size][/font][font="ArialMT"][font="ArialMT"][left][size="2"][b]• [/b][/size][/font][/font][font="FordCE-LightExt"][size="1"][font="FordCE-LightExt"][size="1"][size="2"][b]The passive key frequencies are[/b][/size][/left]
[left][size="2"][b]jammed.[/b][/size][/left]
[/size][/font][/size][/font][font="ArialMT"][size="1"][font="ArialMT"][size="1"]• [/size][/font][/size][/font][font="FordCE-LightExt"][size="1"][font="FordCE-LightExt"][size="1"]The passive key battery is flat.

[/size][/font][/size][/font][size="2"]Second point can happen if signal is transmitted that does not match the receiver I.E Keyfob mixed with Phone .
[/size]
Place you phone next to a PC , you will see how often it updates it's network.

Just clutching at straws really but it might explain why Keyless can be a problem if in your pocket or close to a phone

Full Colour Version: Mk3 Focus Unlocking Problem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.