Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent Starting
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
steve3069707
Hi,

I have a 51 plate 1.6 Petrol Focus. It has developed an annoying fault. Intermittently when trying to start the car it will not turn over, absolutely nothing happens,no click of the starter no turning over of the engine etc, this could go on for a couple of tries or twenty odd, but it eventually starts and runs no problems. It is like the immobiliser hasnt turned off.

Any ideas

Cheers
steve3069707
Am thinking its possibly the chip in the key not turning the immobiliser off. If so a) how do i check this B) does a new battery in the key sort it c) if not how much and where best for a new key and to be programmed

Cheers
Preee
As far as i am aware , the chip is not powered , the signal emits enough power for it to respond once inside the ignition, How many keys do you have, if you have 2 then you can buy one off ebay and program it yourself , if you only have one key then its a dealer and boy will they charge you
steve3069707
Yeah just been reading how to program the third key,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but you guessed it i only have one remote key so will have to go through dealer......Do you think thats the problem, it seams that too me.......?
Preee
I'm not sure m8 , but like you say , it could be the problem , best to wait to see if anyone else has had similar problems and may know an answer for you
tomo2001
Perhaps it could also be the part in the key which 'reads' the key and nothing be wrong with the key itself ??
steve3069707
Spoke to local ford dealership today,,,,,,,,,,,says if when trying to start if the led above the clock is flashing red then that means the key hasnt been recognised by the car hence will swith off the immobiliser.......So more than likely is the chip in the key.....New one 89 inc programming VAT etc,,,,,,

I have read on this forum about reprogramming a new key yourself if you have two of the originals......Does this mean two remotes or one remote and one normal spare......I have the remote and the normal spare ????
Andy 1965
[quote name='steve3069707' timestamp='1324576389' post='157726']
Spoke to local ford dealership today,,,,,,,,,,,says if when trying to start if the led above the clock is flashing red then that means the key hasnt been recognised by the car hence will swith off the immobiliser.......So more than likely is the chip in the key.....New one 89 inc programming VAT etc,,,,,,

I have read on this forum about reprogramming a new key yourself if you have two of the originals......Does this mean two remotes or one remote and one normal spare......I have the remote and the normal spare ????
[/quote]
One remote key and one normal key is fine, mate. I done a third key for mine yesterday.
steve3069707
Cheers for all us,,,,,,,,Traced the problem to an intermittent starter motor.................new one installed all sorted.....
artscot79
was going to say the key wont stop the starter from turning over but will stop the car starting.a spare 3rd key is always a good idea though

Full Colour Version: Intermittent Starting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615