Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec S
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
bryn
Hi everyone, I have bought a second hand engine and refitted but made a mistake when i connected the two large grey plugs on the electrics at the bulk head. Rather than connect to the correct socket on the engine I connected them together. I have now connected them correctly, how ever I am getting no spark, do you reckon I might have damaged the ECU? although on the computer the ECU is communicating, but the computer is not picking up a rotation on the crankshaft. I have exchanged the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensors from the original engine, but still no spark. Is it possible that the flywheel is different on newer model zetec's or did they stay the same size and shape for pickup, or was the holder for the crankshaft sensor in a slightly different position or angle, hence no signal?
Danny87
It may be worth checking the crankshaft sensor yourself manually using a mutlimeter (switch it to measure resitance, connect the two leads to each of the pins and then manually turn the engine). You should have a small (but noticable) difference as you rotate the engine by hand using a socket on the crankshaft pulley.

I may be wrong but I'm sure there's a camshaft sensor too, this needs to be working as the camshafts perform one rotation per two turns of the crankshaft.

I don't know about the flywheel and someone more experienced will need to help you on that.

Hope that gives you some ideas where to go from here :)
bryn
[quote name='Danny87' timestamp='1324801791' post='157992']
It may be worth checking the crankshaft sensor yourself manually using a mutlimeter (switch it to measure resitance, connect the two leads to each of the pins and then manually turn the engine). You should have a small (but noticable) difference as you rotate the engine by hand using a socket on the crankshaft pulley.

I may be wrong but I'm sure there's a camshaft sensor too, this needs to be working as the camshafts perform one rotation per two turns of the crankshaft.

I don't know about the flywheel and someone more experienced will need to help you on that.

Hope that gives you some ideas where to go from here :)
[/quote]

thanks for the info
bryn
After having the sensors checked it would seem that the holder for the crankshaft sensor has an off centre hole and I would assume that newer model engines may have a differnet position within the holder for the sensor to be placed. My next option will be to take the engine out again and remove the sensor holder and replace with the old one from the original engine this should then align the sensor allowing it to gain a signal from the flywheel.....finger crossed.

Full Colour Version: Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.