Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Pad Query
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Mac2012
Hi, long time lurker here,finally decided to register and get stuck in after buying a 2008 zetec auto recently. Loving the car so far (and the free footwell light upgrade I found on here :) but had a couple of questions you might be able to help with. Sorry to ask a question on my first post, but I promise I won't read & run as soon as its answered :)

First stupid question - just had some new front brake pads fitted and noticed that they make contact with the disc nearest the centre (hub). It literally looks like it is rubbing, and then the pad curves away from the disc. Is this normal? I know they're meant to be close, but I can't really wedge a piece of paper between them.I tried to take a pic but it's a bit dark - will add one tomorrow if it would help.

Mre stupid questions to follow no doubt as I lean about the car!

Cheers,
Mac
stef123
they should be pretty close, most cars i have jacked up and spun the wheel you can hear them rub even without the brake applied. I'd say as long as they aint rubbing the disc hard then they will be fine.
the gap you are seeing should disappear as the pads wears in, had this happen to me on a couple of jobs ive done and it does get me thinking have i got the right pads...

the last car this happened to me on was a mk6 fiesta, it took quite some time for the pad to come in full contact with the disc although it did and the brakes are very good now. double checked the pads to make sure they were correct, exactly the same as the originals. can only think the friction surface of them is not at the correct angle.
artscot79
[quote name='stef123' timestamp='1324580998' post='157740']
they should be pretty close, most cars i have jacked up and spun the wheel you can hear them rub even without the brake applied. I'd say as long as they aint rubbing the disc hard then they will be fine.
the gap you are seeing should disappear as the pads wears in, had this happen to me on a couple of jobs ive done and it does get me thinking have i got the right pads...

the last car this happened to me on was a mk6 fiesta, it took quite some time for the pad to come in full contact with the disc although it did and the brakes are very good now. double checked the pads to make sure they were correct, exactly the same as the originals. can only think the friction surface of them is not at the correct angle.
[/quote]

brakes work effectively when hot the purpose of the rubbing is light friction to keep the pads and disks hot otherwise youde have little to no braking force
jeebowhite
Agreed, the slight contact works well, especially whilst you are bedding in new brakes, they are not as effective as a set that have been on there for a good few months. The contstant contact means that whilst they are bedding in they have a bit more grip than usual, hence why when you touch the brakes, you leave your bottom on the seat and you place your nose on the bonnet! However as your brakes bed in, they become less "forceful" in the braking, because they have bedded in, and dont need the continuous contact to be as effective...
Mac2012
Thanks all - checked on a neighbours car that looked the same too. Not that I don't trust main dealers ;)

Loving the car too - am hoping to learn how to be a bit more proactive about looking after it too, so doubtless I'll have more questions shortly.

Cheers,
Mac

Full Colour Version: Brake Pad Query
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.