Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Key For The Wheel Lock-Nuts
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Chat
Balraj
Hi guys,

I just discovered that the key for the wheel lock-nuts is broken for my 2008 Mondeo. I have a piece of paper with the key which has a "Key Code" on it and says that if I ever lose the key, I should take this card with the Key Code to a Ford dealer and they will order a new key for me. So I did that, and got told that this key can be ordered in any other country except where I am.. that's Australia.

Now my question is, does anyone know if I can order this key from Ford overseas? If yes, how?
People at Ford Australia have been less than helpful, and I don't want to have to cut the nuts out, yet I need a solution quick because I could get seriously stranded somewhere if I had a flat tyre.

Any ideas?

Regards
Balraj Singh
stef123
Hello and welcome,

If ford cant get you the key it may be cheaper to ask a local tyre centre to remove and replace the locking nuts with an aftermarket type.

you could always try these guys for the key - http://www.fordpartsuk.com

they deliver worldwide..
ONETrueSaturday
Well yeah, fastest solution, and maybe the only due to your location is to get them removed from a garage and get aftemarket ones fitted.

Ford locking nuts come from Germany, a company called McGard, and delivery to UK for mine was about a month if not longer! :angry:
jeebowhite
I had these same troubles. The only thing that you can do, is take your Ford to a dealer, and ask them to use their master keys on it, they can remove the locking nut for you and you can put a standard nut on, or aftermarkets...

I had to do this, as it was going to take 2 months to get the same key I wanted, and was going to cost triple the price of a new set of nuts...!
Preee
I had the same problem with my old Astra , they charged me 80 to get them out :angry: , now if i need new tyres i won't let them touch the locking nuts i do it myself and always copper grease them
jeebowhite
My Dealer took the nuts off me for beer money! I was impressed...
Danny87
I ran into a similar problem when I lost (I know!) my locking wheel nut key for my old Punto. A little alloy and wheel shop across town sorted it out for me and charged me £40 all in with new nuts afterwards. The guy just hammered this socket with cones inside, presumably then once they've locked in place they grip as you turn it to remove the wheel locking nut. Quite smart and only took 20 minutes!

Dan
stef123
[quote name='Danny87' timestamp='1325699176' post='159398']
I ran into a similar problem when I lost (I know!) my locking wheel nut key for my old Punto. A little alloy and wheel shop across town sorted it out for me and charged me 40 all in with new nuts afterwards. The guy just hammered this socket with cones inside, presumably then once they've locked in place they grip as you turn it to remove the wheel locking nut. Quite smart and only took 20 minutes!

Dan
[/quote]

was it the sockets with the spiral flutes inside? never seen a socket with 'cones' inside, quite interested :lol:
jeebowhite
lol, its an idea that works on the old lock nuts, but the new ones are a lot more secure, they have the spin ring so that you cant do that!
stef123
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1325753433' post='159483']
lol, its an idea that works on the old lock nuts, but the new ones are a lot more secure, they have the spin ring so that you cant do that!
[/quote]

will a small chisel sort out that spinning ring? and a BFH :lol:
rojariggs
Last time I had this happen, my local Kwik Fit hammered a slightly too small standard socket on to the bolt and got the bolt off. Took 2-3 minutes and they didn't charge me.

I replaced the missing bolt with second hand bolt of the same locking pattern as my remaining bolts.

Cheers

Rog
Danny87
Yeah that's true, they're a lot more secure now! The locking nuts on my Punto had 4 little recessed holes (where the key would actually engage) and a bit in the middle - which is where the socket (spiral flutes sounds more like it!) was able to grip and undo. I'm pretty sure I have McGard locking wheel nuts on my Fiesta, as far as I know it's stamped on the locking wheel nut key, and the design (and method of unlocking) is identical to my fathers Colt - which uses McGards.

Dan

Full Colour Version: Key For The Wheel Lock-Nuts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.