Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1991 Transit 2.8
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
rockingsock888
Hello Ford people, i have recently accquired a 1991 transit Mk4 {i think} it is a 2.8 petrol injection, 5 speed.3.5t
high top van. Whats a bit special about it is that it has only done 16000 miles from new, The chassis is quite remarkable for one of these, and the interior is clean too, and...what a motor! it sounds ace. I was going to use it for motorbikes/trackdays but i was wondering what it might be worth.If it is worth a reasonable ammount to someone, then i would be happy to let it go, anyone got an idea? i have tried to get on the Transit Forum, but failed to get registered.It would have a full MOT,but no tax.

Mike
jeebowhite
Mike, IMHO, if its only done 16000 miles that sounds alarm bells to me! for a van 12 years of age to have that low mileage, is a bit of a concern. Are you sure that mileage is genuine?

are you looking to sell it on? if so, what do the likes of autotrader say for the 91 plate transit van on the lowest mileage?
rockingsock888
Hi there, thanks for the reply, i can verify the strange low milage, as i have known the van from new. i work at a speciality chemical plant & the van has been generally used on site as an emergency response vehicle should there be any spills. Thankfully it has never been needed.It has had the odd run here and there to other NW sites, but other than that, not much. i have loads of old MOT's with the milage too.
i think i'll try what you have said about the Autotrader, but i reckon it will come up with 200 quid or something daft like that, thanks again.

Mike

PS it's more like 21years old rather than 12... or maybe a slip on the keyboard?
jeebowhite
[quote name='rockingsock888' timestamp='1325602971' post='159187']
Hi there, thanks for the reply, i can verify the strange low milage, as i have known the van from new. i work at a speciality chemical plant & the van has been generally used on site as an emergency response vehicle should there be any spills. Thankfully it has never been needed.It has had the odd run here and there to other NW sites, but other than that, not much. i have loads of old MOT's with the milage too.
i think i'll try what you have said about the Autotrader, but i reckon it will come up with 200 quid or something daft like that, thanks again.

Mike

PS it's more like 21years old rather than 12... or maybe a slip on the keyboard?
[/quote]

Nope - it was appalling maths! lol - I must admit my brain was pretty much unable to add 2 + 2...

As you say, its unlikely to show a high value, however you may be able to get a very fair price for it. If its in that good condition with a genuine low mileage and full service history, then someone may part with a few more pounds for it, but I dont think you would get more than 500 of them...

Its always worth trying, if its going to be of use to you, you might as well keep it, but if its looking to go to a more used home, then you can only give it a go...!
Scotty86
Sounds like a lovely rare beast, try joining the transit forum again they would surely know and if you fail ill ask for you as Im a member. (I currently own a mk7). As they say its only worth what someones willing to pay for it but as a classic van with very low miles I would be asking for around 5k-7k.
rockingsock888
Hi, would appriciate the ask on the Transit forum...i have tried many times and re-sent for activation codes??? gonna try a different Email next. It is a tidy beast, the chassis & under lower sills are still black sealed...as in new!...It would make a cool classic van for someone, and with a little work a very nice one. It is a V6 2.9 Cologne motor rather than 2.8 as i said, i think they are around 140bhp...which makes it that bit cooler.As i said, a gang of us were going to use it for Motorbike/trackdays. I think we could get away with a cheap battered tranny for what i/we want, it'd be a shame for us lot to ruin it throwing bikes in n out.
i can get some pics if you need. Thanks again.

Mike
jeebowhite
[quote name='Scotty86' timestamp='1325659479' post='159287']
Sounds like a lovely rare beast, try joining the transit forum again they would surely know and if you fail ill ask for you as Im a member. (I currently own a mk7). As they say its only worth what someones willing to pay for it but [b]as a classic van[/b] with very low miles I would be asking for around 5k-7k.
[/quote]

Scotty, I never thought of that! Heres me thinking it would be defined as old... great comment!
alanfocustdci
Id have expected if you put it up for about 2k you might generate some interest. I've seen really tidy low mileage (similar to yours) transits go for buttons at auction, but to the right person it might be worth good money.

It probably isn't quite old enough to be worth mega bucks, as there are probably an awful lot of vans around the country still doing similar jobs on site of large firms, (Come to think of it I can think of a few places I've contracted to that have some very tidy late 80's transits still working as on site ambulances and similar) so it may not quite have the rarity value yet. I could be wrong though :)

Full Colour Version: 1991 Transit 2.8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.