Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mk3 Tech That Isn't Quite Up To Scratch
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
pavr27
One of the reasons I bought the new Focus was that is was crammed with gadgets (or gimmick!). I'm a sucker for tech.

However, having owned the car for 3 months now, I have a few observations to share with regard to some of the functionalities of the new car. I don't know whether they are limitations to the tech, or problems with my car (I suspect the former, but would be interested to hear from others)

Not sure which of the following gadgets are standard or part of the extra options, but for what it's worth, I have the Driver assistance pack and ACC as options.

1)
Auto full beam: Not sensitive enough to other traffic on the road (I have played with the sensitivity, but I'm thinking that the sensitivity is more geared to controlling when the lights come on in relation to how dark it is). On many many occasions I have been flashed by other road users because the full-beams do not cancel quickly enough with oncoming vehicles. I also notice that the same is true when there are cars a distance away in front (but still likely to be close enough to be annoyed by my full-beams in their rear view mirror.

Don't get me wrong, it's not wildly out...just a fraction of a second too slow to cancel. It also engages full-beam sometimes when I consider it inappropriate - ie on dual carriageways/motorways when oncoming traffic head ligthts are slightly obscured by the central reservation barrier.

2)
Auto - wipers. Dreadful. Very random, very inconsistent - quite often they do not clear the screen quickly enough. Also I notice they never clear the screen when you first start the car - I always end up having to do it manually. I've played with the settings, and ensured the camera/sensor view is clear.

3)
Auto- park. Pretty useless feature I suppose, given that I am a man ;) - but on the couple of occasions I have felt brave enough to let it have a go, it managed to curb my rear wheel! (Out of interest, can I claim from Ford for this?!! I very much suspect not!)

Keyless entry. Hmmm, either I don't know how to use it properly or it's not great. My only focus had buttons on the handles (rather than the 'sensors' on the new focus. I just don't find the sensors easy to use, or responsive. Trying to double lock using the sensors, for example, is a little hit and miss. Also, quite often, I find myself having to stand by the driver's door for a good 5-10 seconds before the car decided to unlock the door.

Of course, there are many positives...but that can be a topic of another thread. (the excellent bluetooth connectivity with my iphone for example, and the voice activation (if a little gimmicky)
tomo2001
Can't vouch for point 1) as my Focus doen't have this. Not had a problem with auto wipers. Totally agree with points 3) & 4). Already been posted on here in other threads, I quite often refer to Keyless Entry as Useless Entry :) Perhaps I'm not holding my tongue to the correct side of my mouth when I approach the car ??

PS Bluetooth with BB Curve is sheeite quality.
Barry_
Interesting. Personally all the gadgets don't interest me that much - more to go wrong, but love the look of the new focus - the interia more then the exteria though.

Auto full beam - not an option i like the sound off at all - for the reasons you expressed. Got auto headlights on my motor and seeing how they operate - come on too early and only dipped beam (should do side then dipped)can imagine how annoying that could be for both yourself and others. At least mine is just the normal headlights - matters not if on to early.

Auto wipers - got these on my motor too - I think there are great - increases the life of the wipers imho - specially in intermitant wiper situations. Also find that they never clear the screen when you first start the car as well - same with the auto rear wash wipe that is linked to it. I think that idea of this though is to not ruin your wiper blade in cold icey conditions - I think your suppose to switch to off when parking and flick to auto when it rains rather than leave in on (like we do)

Auto park - as you said - why!! LOL - Oh and i doubt it!!!

Keyless entry - never liked this concept - I would for ever be throwing keys as far away from the car as possible to check its locked LOL - If all it done was auto unlock and you still had to physically lock the car with remote then it would be better imho.

Still - bet you happy with the motor - hows the interia quality holding up - still solid or there any rattles starting?
mitch84
[quote name='Barry_' timestamp='1326124859' post='160324']
Interesting. Personally all the gadgets don't interest me that much - more to go wrong, but love the look of the new focus - the interia more then the exteria though.

Auto full beam - not an option i like the sound off at all - for the reasons you expressed. Got auto headlights on my motor and seeing how they operate - come on too early and only dipped beam (should do side then dipped)can imagine how annoying that could be for both yourself and others. At least mine is just the normal headlights - matters not if on to early.

Auto wipers - got these on my motor too - I think there are great - increases the life of the wipers imho - specially in intermitant wiper situations. Also find that they never clear the screen when you first start the car as well - same with the auto rear wash wipe that is linked to it. I think that idea of this though is to not ruin your wiper blade in cold icey conditions - I think your suppose to switch to off when parking and flick to auto when it rains rather than leave in on (like we do)

Auto park - as you said - why!! LOL - Oh and i doubt it!!!

[b]Keyless entry - never liked this concept - I would for ever be throwing keys as far away from the car as possible to check its locked LOL - If all it done was auto unlock and you still had to physically lock the car with remote then it would be better imho.
[/b]

Still - bet you happy with the motor - hows the interia quality holding up - still solid or there any rattles starting?
[/quote]

hi not sure if its exactly the same but on mk 2.5 titanium i have keyless entry and when i lock it i press the button on the handle twice to double lock it and then pull the handle to check its locked (as long as you pull the handle within 3 seconds it will not open) , after this the keyless entry will be reactivated.

I find keyless entry great on my focus
jeebowhite
I doubt that Ford would pay for the curbed wheel, as they will claim that "you were not in control of the vehicle at the time of the incident" and "it is there as a driver aid and not to be used in place of driver interaction" or some shizz like that... long and short, they will say you should have stopped the car before it hit the curb (Stupid I know! but I am getting more into dealer mindset!)
rojariggs
On most cars, auto wipers are designed not to come on immediately when you start the car to avoid damage if the wipers are stuck - eg If they are frozen to the windscreen.
cuke
Hi,

1) Can't comment, but maybe Ford will tweak the system, as it is new, once they've had enough feedback.

2)Never had a problem with mine, not sure what you mean about cleaning the screen as this sounds like some contamination. One thing is if you keep fiddling with the settings then it is unable to calibrate correctly. Again it might need tweaking with an update but mine seems fine.

3)I cannot say enough about the auto park, it is one of the best things about this car and it works so well. Cannot understand how you managed to kerb it, this must be just about impossible, no, Ford will not compensate you.

4)Once my faulty sensor had been replaced, and once I learned the 'knack' of how to do it, mine was ok however I always use the fob as it is easier to lock the car whilst walking away.
Chris
pavr27
CleaRing the screen (as in wiping away rain!!) not cleaNing :)
rojariggs
You said:
[quote name='pavr27' timestamp='1326123644' post='160320']
I notice they never clear the screen when you first start the car - I always end up having to do it manually. I've played with the settings, and ensured the camera/sensor view is clear.
[/quote]
This is by design.

At least on Fords the wipers do start detecting and wiping once you have set off. Most other manufacturers actually make you switch the wipers off and on again to make them activate.
cuke
Hi, that would stop them from either being wrecked by attempting to clean a frosted screen or causing motor burn out when they're frozen in place..
Chris

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.