Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Focusclicking In Reverse
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
whitelightning
Hi all. I have searched the forums for this problem but not getting much luck. My T plate focus has just started clicking in reverse? 1.8 petrol manual. Im guessing this is terminal... anybody any ideas cant afford a new box that would rite it off me thinks. Am i doing any damage by just leaving it. All forward gears are fine.
Cheers
fishpond 47
Are you sure the clicking is coming from the engine/gearbox area and not from one off the wheels? (cv joint)
whitelightning
Hi thanks for reply. Seems that when I let the clutch out and just roll car backwards noise goes. My dad says its the synchro on reverse!?
whitelightning
If you reverse, then dip the clutch the noise is still there just quieter. with car running in neutral and you push it backward then no noise!! It sounds like one of those clackers that kids used to stick in their bike spokes in the 70's!
jeebowhite
Could it be the clutch thrust bearing? I had a colleague had a pug 307 with exactly the same issue, and thats what it turned out to be?
whitelightning
Could be. release bearing bin a bit noisy guess it could do with a clutch soon. All forward gears are ok but have always had the "dodgy-jumping-out-of-reverse-focus "thang going on!
jeebowhite
lol, in all circumstances of Clutch Thrust Baring, its easier and cheaper to replace the clutch unit! I wouldnt advise you go out straight away and do so though, I wouldnt want you to waste several hundred pounds on just a suggestion from me! lol
whitelightning
Noted! No worries just kinda worried that might do more harm than good. I'll make sure the clutch is properly gone first lol! Dont want to end up screwing up the flywheel too thou!!
Cheers
whitelightning
Been into my local spanner monkeys and they confirmed that I have stripped a tooth from reverse! Looking at a box rebuild and do clutch while box is out, so should save a bit of money!! LOL They know of no other focus having this fault nor main dealer for that matter but I know of two on S and T plates 1.8 and 1.6 petrols so be aware and be nice to your reverse!,

It could have happened when forcing reverse rather than being patient with fords wonderful synchro, or trying to hit 6th and realising you only have 5 and reverse!!! OUCH. The other half also drives mine focus and a six speed where reverse is replaced by 6th........she's off the insurance!

Will post the outcome, costs etc
whitelightning
Been into my local spanner monkeys and they confirmed that I have stripped a tooth from reverse! Looking at a box rebuild and do clutch while box is out, so should save a bit of money!! LOL They know of no other focus having this fault nor main dealer for that matter but I know of two on S and T plates 1.8 and 1.6 petrols so be aware and be nice to your reverse!,

It could have happened when forcing reverse rather than being patient with fords wonderful synchro, or trying to hit 6th and realising you only have 5 and reverse!!! OUCH. The other half also drives my focus and a six speed where reverse is replaced by 6th........she's off the insurance!

Will post the outcome, costs etc

Full Colour Version: Focusclicking In Reverse
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.