Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Clear Windscreen
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Ford Related Discussions
Tish
I purchased a 2009 Fiesta 6 months ago with a quick clear windscreen. I've noticed at night (& during wet conditions) that visibility is extremely poor as the windscreen appears to reflect light back, making driving conditions very difficult. My partner who is a professional driver covering 100000 miles per year also notices this at night. He had a Focus before & never had the same problem. It's not the wires of the element that are the problem but the reflection they produce. Is this likely to be a fault with the windscreen itself & is there any way it can be rectified? Has anyone else experienced the same problem? Any feedback would be appreciated as I basically don't drive the car at night any more!!! Many thanks!
jeebowhite
these windscreens are coated with an anti - UV coating which you may be noticing more of. Do either of you wear specs with an antiglare coat or similar? this sometimes exaggerates a possibly dorment problem. I noticed on my Focus, that if the inside of the window had a thin coating (for example, an oily layer from trying to clean the windscreen) this was worse on a windscreen with the heater elements embedded than one without (for example on my present car).

Have you tried any sort of glass cutter to clear the inside of the windscreen? I used some of Halfords on the outside, and it really made a difference (cleaned it up and stopped the smudging of the wiper blades instantly) as it worked so well cutting the grease and cack from the road there, I am tempted to treat the inside of the window with the same stuff.

Is it worth doing something similar with both the inside and outside of your windscreen?
Tish
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1326285419' post='160663']
these windscreens are coated with an anti - UV coating which you may be noticing more of. Do either of you wear specs with an antiglare coat or similar? this sometimes exaggerates a possibly dorment problem. I noticed on my Focus, that if the inside of the window had a thin coating (for example, an oily layer from trying to clean the windscreen) this was worse on a windscreen with the heater elements embedded than one without (for example on my present car).

Have you tried any sort of glass cutter to clear the inside of the windscreen? I used some of Halfords on the outside, and it really made a difference (cleaned it up and stopped the smudging of the wiper blades instantly) as it worked so well cutting the grease and cack from the road there, I am tempted to treat the inside of the window with the same stuff.

Is it worth doing something similar with both the inside and outside of your windscreen?
[/quote]

Thanks for the response!! I'm going to try that when I get home to see if it makes any difference. I have seen reports that if you don't keep the windscreen absolutely spotless then it can cause problems although seems like quite a lot of hassle just to be able to see. Both my partner & myself have good eyesight (I actually had mine checked just in case!!) so I can't blame glasses!!! I'm really hoping this will solve the problem, if it doesn't is it worth contacting the dealer about it?
jeebowhite
Yeah the problem is that by cleaning or wiping away the likes of mist, all your doing is spreading around any sort of grease / oil's / vapour that when spread just streaks and gets worse over time. I dont think your dealer will look too far into it, they will look for obvious damage, but I think they would take great pleasure in seperating you from your money, to tell you all you need to do is clean the window...

One thing I will advise is watch what you use on your windscreen, I recently purchased for my car some of the halfords "mist repellent" I got impatient, didnt read the bottle and just coated the rag and wiped the window... Got in the car that night and it was a right state... so any treatments you use, make sure you follow the instructions carefully, thoroughly, and stock up on patience before you go at the windscreen... as I say the Halfords Glass Cutter 500ml bottle worked well on the outside of the windscreen, so I am aiming to test it on the inside as well...
btmaldon
I must admit that driving at night with headlights reflecting off the screen is a little more difficult with the quick clear screen than without but only due to the elements in it. However I have not found it that bad that I wouldn't drive at night. I am somewhat anal about how clean I keep the car (including the windows). It may be thats the reason I dont have a problem with the windscreen.

The screen may have previously been cleaned with something that has left a film on it, therefore what Jeebo is suggesting is probably your best fix.
Tish
Thanks for the replies folks! It does seem that a coat of rain repellant has been put on the windscreen which may be causing the problem!! Question is how to get it off now!!
TDCiST
AutoGlym Car Glass Polish is great!! I use it on the outside of my windows, and it doesnt leave any residue behind.

You apply it the same as a normal car polish, let it dry and buff off..
Stoney871
I use a foam windscreen spray, it lifts all type of crap and grease off.
Just spray on wet windscreen and leave to slide and then use wipers.
Can't remember the brand for now, will update later.
jeebowhite
I used the Halfords Glass Cutter, worked perfect for me... I had the rain repellant on as well, causing nightmare situations, came straight off with the glass cutter, just apply in a circular motion thoroughly across the windscreen, leave it to dry, then remove in a circular motion. it does a very good job for a home brand...

Full Colour Version: Quick Clear Windscreen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615