January 16, 2012, 8:53 pm
My '53 plate 1.8 TDCi Focus (hatch) has just started doing the same thing!
Not had a chance to check into it properly yet (all the usual intermittant / regular / fast wipes work fine) but the one-shot wipe sometimes stalls, then completes other times it just moves a bit and stops mid-wipe.
Thinking back it's done this very occasionally for a while - so possibly a dodgy contact somewhere that's got worse - though more telling when it does work (which it does some of the time) the wipers have to start from their 'fully home' position. Have a look where the wipers 'home' after the wipe (i.e. knock it onto regular wipe - then stop it when the blades are fully parked).
On mine if it's:
- Playing up: The blades park slightly above the black line on the bottom of the windscreen (passengers side is more noticeable) - you can see a gap between the black on the bottom of the windscreen and the 'parked' blade, which doesn't look right.
- Working (which it still does some times): They're parked lower down (i.e. below where the black at the bottom of the windscreen starts) - where you'd expect them to be.
My thoughts so far are:
- Dodgy connection (though unlikely as regular / intermittant / fast wipe work fine).
- Timing / sensor issue - i.e. if it has either different timing or sensor used for the one-shot mode.
- The blades just aren't parked properly period. And whilst intermittant /reg / fast copes, one shot freaks out.
I'm going to change the blades on mine anyway (getting near a new set needed) - I had at one stage thought it might be because there's too much drag on the blades for the ageing motors at least this will prove that one way or another.
If you find anything out or end up fixing it, do post back. Likewise providing the weather gets a bit warmer I'll have a proper look at the w/end and post if I find anything...