Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable Photography And Advice About A High Mileage Diesel Focus
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
RogerPJ
Hi all, I've just joined so please forgive the combining of two questions into one thread!

Firstly, I wondered if anyone could offer any advice about how to get some photos of an iPhone connected to a new Focus, C-Max or Grand C-Max? I need some photos of the interior of one of these cars with an iPhone connected with my cable, but don't know anyone who owns one...

Secondly, my next door neighbour has offered me his 160,000 mile 03 Reg Focus 1.8TDCi Ghia Manual Hatchback for £850. It has 12 months MOT (no advisories) and 1 month tax. How reliable are these cars? My Mondeo 2.0TDCi covered 120,000 miles and apart from the electronic turbo actuator it was perfectly reliable, certainly a lot more reliable than the VWs, Audis and BMWs my wife and I have owned. Also, is the price realistic and what MPG should I expect (he seems very cagey when I ask him that question!)

Thanks in advance and as I'm new to this forum any help/advice would be very much appreciated!

Roger
dezwez
[quote name='RogerPJ' timestamp='1327055342' post='162254']
Hi all, I've just joined so please forgive the combining of two questions into one thread!

Firstly, I wondered if anyone could offer any advice about how to get some photos of an iPhone connected to a new Focus, C-Max or Grand C-Max? I need some photos of the interior of one of these cars with an iPhone connected with my cable, but don't know anyone who owns one...

Secondly, my next door neighbour has offered me his 160,000 mile 03 Reg Focus 1.8TDCi Ghia Manual Hatchback for £850. It has 12 months MOT (no advisories) and 1 month tax. How reliable are these cars? My Mondeo 2.0TDCi covered 120,000 miles and apart from the electronic turbo actuator it was perfectly reliable, certainly a lot more reliable than the VWs, Audis and BMWs my wife and I have owned. Also, is the price realistic and what MPG should I expect (he seems very cagey when I ask him that question!)

Thanks in advance and as I'm new to this forum any help/advice would be very much appreciated!

Roger
[/quote][color="#0000FF"][size="5"][font="Times New Roman"]Hi welcome[/font][/size][/color] :)
RogerPJ
Hi, thanks!
jeebowhite
[quote name='RogerPJ' timestamp='1327055342' post='162254']

Roger
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum Roger,

Cant help you with the first query I am afraid...

Second question though, a high mileage Diesel Focus isnt too much to worry about, modern engines can reach 250,000 miles easily if they are well looked after, and then some more for diesels.

Put it this way. I know a guy who owns an S reg Renault Scenic, Diesel, 260,000 miles it had covered 18 months ago - and its still going strong... (saw him on the road the other day!), so reliability is down to the ownershiop and servicing maintenance. As for the MPG, a 1.8 Diesel, from 03, with a well used engine, you should still acheieve 30-33 mpg absolute lowest, and I would say you should expect 35-40 as your maximum (day to day) otherwise motorway, I would say 45. I only give these figures on the basis that he seems cagey about answering them for you.

I would say that you may well need to give it a damned good service, and make sure that the likes of the drive belt has been changed, as its due every 100,000 miles, most try to replace it at 80,000 so if you go on that principle, it could well be due / overdue a belt change.

You need to have a thorough look at the service history, and make sure its up to scratch, and take it for a test on a few different roads. Look at the odo, and see how many miles you have clocked up, if it has the TC, then you should be able to see how many miles left to go, otherwise, I would look at the fuel gauge and see how much it varies on a quick drive. If you can see a movement on a small drive (in the fuel gauge) I would say you might need to spend more money on it. Also check if it has a DPF, so you dont get caught out...

if you buy it I would advise at the very least (to get the best out of it)

>Replace Oil and Oil Filter
>Replace Fuel Filter
>Replace glow plugs
>Run a bottle of BG244 through to clear the carbon
>Consider cleaning / replacing the EGR valve if equipped
>Change Air Filter
>Check Turbo for noise!

that is an absolute minimum, but depending on the true health of the motor it may need more, such as a new gasket.

Questions are: how much do you trust your neighbour? and how long are you expecting this car to do you for?
TDCiST
Are you saying there are photos on your iphone, that you need to get off it??
RogerPJ
[quote name='jeebowhite' timestamp='1327071136' post='162282']
Welcome to the forum Roger,

Cant help you with the first query I am afraid...

Second question though, a high mileage Diesel Focus isnt too much to worry about, modern engines can reach 250,000 miles easily if they are well looked after, and then some more for diesels.

Put it this way. I know a guy who owns an S reg Renault Scenic, Diesel, 260,000 miles it had covered 18 months ago - and its still going strong... (saw him on the road the other day!), so reliability is down to the ownershiop and servicing maintenance. As for the MPG, a 1.8 Diesel, from 03, with a well used engine, you should still acheieve 30-33 mpg absolute lowest, and I would say you should expect 35-40 as your maximum (day to day) otherwise motorway, I would say 45. I only give these figures on the basis that he seems cagey about answering them for you.

I would say that you may well need to give it a damned good service, and make sure that the likes of the drive belt has been changed, as its due every 100,000 miles, most try to replace it at 80,000 so if you go on that principle, it could well be due / overdue a belt change.

You need to have a thorough look at the service history, and make sure its up to scratch, and take it for a test on a few different roads. Look at the odo, and see how many miles you have clocked up, if it has the TC, then you should be able to see how many miles left to go, otherwise, I would look at the fuel gauge and see how much it varies on a quick drive. If you can see a movement on a small drive (in the fuel gauge) I would say you might need to spend more money on it. Also check if it has a DPF, so you dont get caught out...

if you buy it I would advise at the very least (to get the best out of it)

>Replace Oil and Oil Filter
>Replace Fuel Filter
>Replace glow plugs
>Run a bottle of BG244 through to clear the carbon
>Consider cleaning / replacing the EGR valve if equipped
>Change Air Filter
>Check Turbo for noise!

that is an absolute minimum, but depending on the true health of the motor it may need more, such as a new gasket.

Questions are: how much do you trust your neighbour? and how long are you expecting this car to do you for?
[/quote]

Thanks for that very comprehensive answer! I was intending to keep the car for about 18 months and then sell it on, but don't want to be spending money on it... it also sounds like I won't be getting much better MPG than my 1.8 petrol Astra (33-35MPG) so nothing to gain really...

I think that I'll pass on the purchase and let him sell it elsewhere...

Cheers,

Roger
RogerPJ
[quote name='TDCiST' timestamp='1327077769' post='162306']
Are you saying there are photos on your iphone, that you need to get off it??
[/quote]

Hi, sorry if it wasn't clear, I've got a cable which I need photographed connected to a new shape Focus and an iPhone. I've got the cable and the iPhone but not the new Focus (unfortunately!)

I thought I'd post the question on here to see if anyone had a new Focus, C-Max or Grand C-Max and could help me out...

Thanks,

Roger

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.