Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Focus Tdci Performance Mods
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
FLORYFOCUS
Hello all,

I am new to the Ford Owners Club (despite owning Fords for the past 11 years) so I am not certain if I am posting this is the right place.

I am looking for some advice with regards to upping the performance of my 2010 Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S which I will be taking delivery of next week.

It is my intention to get the car re-mapped but before I do was wondering if there are any good mods to make prior to the map. I was thinking of getting an induction kit and an exhaust similar to the ST.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to specific manufacturers / parts which will provide the biggest gains?

Many thanks.
Lenny
[quote name='FLORYFOCUS' timestamp='1327164265' post='162481']
Hello all,

I am new to the Ford Owners Club (despite owning Fords for the past 11 years) so I am not certain if I am posting this is the right place.

I am looking for some advice with regards to upping the performance of my 2010 Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S which I will be taking delivery of next week.

It is my intention to get the car re-mapped but before I do was wondering if there are any good mods to make prior to the map. I was thinking of getting an induction kit and an exhaust similar to the ST.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to specific manufacturers / parts which will provide the biggest gains?

Many thanks.
[/quote]

Welcome to the Forum,
If you get a momment log on to [url="http://photobucket.com/"][color=#181818]photobucket[/color][/url] and upload the picture's of your Motor when you get it,
you can then link them to this forum,
once uploaded go to Album,

below or above each picture on [url="http://photobucket.com/"][color=#181818]photobucket[/color][/url] is an Image URL
copy this URL and paste it in to your posts
once pasted in the post remove the
.img from either side of the link then its job done,

also check out DMB Graphics for Ford Badge Overlays and vintage Decals [url="http://www.dmb.uk.com/cat/22/ford-badges-gel-overlays"][color=#181818]Click Here[/color][/url]

and see my guides listed below this post you may find some of Interest. you may like to fit the ST pod since your planning to upgrade the performance,
''code red'' manufacture uprated intercooler grills for the focus
[url="http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=789"]http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=789[/url]

and induction kit
[url="http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=790"]http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=790[/url]

Bastuck seem to be good for a duplex system too
part1
[url="http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=476"]http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=476[/url]
part2
[url="http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=479"]http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=479[/url]
part3
[url="http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=58_82&products_id=431"]http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=58_82&products_id=431[/url]
Hope this helps mate [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]
TDCiST
Depends how much money you have to spend...

Remap, Air Filter, Free Flow Exhaust, Decat, DeDPF, Hybrid Turbo, Bigger Injectors, the list goes on...

If you really want to be quicker, don't forget brakes! and suspension
FLORYFOCUS
Thanks Lenny!!!

European Parts is exactly the type of company I have been looking for. I have speant endless amounts of time looking for someone who actually does performance parts for Diesel's.

Just a quick one, when you say "ST Pod" do you mean the guages on the dash?

Many thanks for all of your other advice too. I will be sure to add photos as soon as it arrives and more with my progress. My profile picture is of my actual car, taken from the sales advert.

Thanks again!
FLORYFOCUS
Hi,

Thank you for your response. I have been told that without completely re-building / strengthening the engine, there is only so far you can go with the ford TDCI. I have been advised against replacing the turbo with a bigger lump. Is this true? If not, any ideas for a good hybrid?

Many thanks!
Lenny
[quote name='FLORYFOCUS' timestamp='1327223747' post='162558']
Thanks Lenny!!!

European Parts is exactly the type of company I have been looking for. I have speant endless amounts of time looking for someone who actually does performance parts for Diesel's.

Just a quick one, when you say "ST Pod" do you mean the guages on the dash?

Many thanks for all of your other advice too. I will be sure to add photos as soon as it arrives and more with my progress. My profile picture is of my actual car, taken from the sales advert.

Thanks again!
[/quote]

[color=#000000]Hi mate,
Glad I was able to help you find what you are looking for, Code Red also manufacture a remapping kit but it’s very expensive compared to bluefin or Dream Science.

And the ST pod is the gauges mate; I’m currently in the process of fitting it myself, See my guide:[/color]
[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/29195-guide-fitting-st-gauge-pod-to-focus-tdci-dash/page__pid__157895"][color=#000000]http://www.fordowner...ge__pid__157895[/color][/url]

[color=#000000]I’ve fitted a 60psi boost gauge which is 4bar Pressure read out at the most and an oil pressure gauge too. I figured since your modifying your engine you may like to fit a boost gauge to monitor the performance of your engine,
The focus looks great in white too.[/color]

[color=#000000]also see my guide on spraying the rear view mirror to match the body colour of the car. [/color]
[color=#000000][url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/22192-spraying-rear-view-mirror/page__pid__125448"]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/22192-spraying-rear-view-mirror/page__pid__125448[/url][/color]
theo-5085

Hi all, i'm new to this so please be nice, haha! On a more serious note..Lenny (or anyone else who thinks they might be able to help me) ... i was perusing the forum and something that you have written has caught my eye and persuaded me to sign up. On giving advice to 'FLORYFOCUS' on what mods he could do etc to his tdci zetec s i noticed you mentioned the ST pods...hmm interesting...i have only just got round to working out (with the help of a skillful friend) how to wire them into my existing loom in my focus tdci...the hard wiring is complete however, only the oil pressure gauge works... i can't figure out what is needed to get the boost/turbo needle to work or the oil temperature..i was thinking if i can't get the oil temp to work, then i'll just splice a wire from the instrument cluster (the one that displays engine water temp) and use the left hand gauge for that instead..not ideal but better than no gauge at all! However my biggest thing is getting the boost to work? Any ideas? obviously if i've got the the oil pressure gauge to work (and wired it through the canbus) then the others have to be canbus fed too? Any help would be massively massively appreciated...and Lenny..the link for the guide you talked about is dead, or at least it is for me anyway..

Any help from you or anyone else who has managed this completely would be forever appreciated..

Thanks guys.

Theo

FOCA

^^ You may need to take a feed from your inlet manifold to get the boost gauge to work - a tube all the way from the manifold to the gauge (mechanical), or a sender on the manifold with wires to the gauge (electronic)

Again the oil temp gauge may need a sender fitted to the sump or a union off the oil pressure switch  

Lenny would know more about this than me

OP - the code red intercooler looks good but seems expensive at 356 euros- you could get a suitable intercooler for about £100 (100 euros?) on e-bay, you may have to make your own brackets and "jiggle" the boost hoses a bit

i like the induction kit though    

STEADS
Believe me once you have it remapped you'll forget about the. Idea of a bigger turbo they go like stink off the proverbial shovel I,d be more inclined to consentrate on lowering an brakes
theo-5085

Foca..thanks for your reply. What are the chances of getting them both to run off the original gauges though? i don't want to have to put aux gauges on the apillar or anything like that..trying to keep in standard by using what's there..? I know the turbo pipes on the ST have solenoids on them..the TDCIs on't... :( have you done this (what you've suggested to me) yourself to your focus? 

Lenny

Hi all, i'm new to this so please be nice, haha! On a more serious note..Lenny (or anyone else who thinks they might be able to help me) ... i was perusing the forum and something that you have written has caught my eye and persuaded me to sign up. On giving advice to 'FLORYFOCUS' on what mods he could do etc to his tdci zetec s i noticed you mentioned the ST pods...hmm interesting...i have only just got round to working out (with the help of a skillful friend) how to wire them into my existing loom in my focus tdci...the hard wiring is complete however, only the oil pressure gauge works... i can't figure out what is needed to get the boost/turbo needle to work or the oil temperature..i was thinking if i can't get the oil temp to work, then i'll just splice a wire from the instrument cluster (the one that displays engine water temp) and use the left hand gauge for that instead..not ideal but better than no gauge at all! However my biggest thing is getting the boost to work? Any ideas? obviously if i've got the the oil pressure gauge to work (and wired it through the canbus) then the others have to be canbus fed too? Any help would be massively massively appreciated...and Lenny..the link for the guide you talked about is dead, or at least it is for me anyway..

Any help from you or anyone else who has managed this completely would be forever appreciated..

Thanks guys.

Theo

Hi and welcome to the forum,
You can see a link to my st pod guide in the list below my post.
I've fitted ford racing gauges in the pod analogue 4 bar boost gauge and oil pressure

IMG_20130405_090439_zpsf93e9847.jpg

Image1578.jpg
theo-5085

Hi Lenny..thanks for the warm welcome! Ah, i see what you've done. However, i'm trying to fit the ST225 ones...i'm so close..but can't figure out how to get the turbo one running :s 

theo-5085

and that's what  i meant..the link below your list for the guide doesn't work.. :( can you please try reposting the link? Thanks :)

theo-5085

How do i include images in a post? :s i want to show you what i've done so far..? :D

Lenny

and that's what  i meant..the link below your list for the guide doesn't work.. :( can you please try reposting the link? Thanks :)

Here it is:
http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/29195-guide-fitting-st-gauge-pod-to-focus-tdci-dash/

I'm off to work now I'll catch up at midnight folks.
theo-5085

Lenny, Your guide is good and extremely informative, but it is possible to fit the Standard Focus ST gauges to a non-ST Focus and even an ST Mondeo. Soon as i can get photobucket to work with my browser, i'll link in some photos of the st gauges in my tdci :P 

gforce

i'll link in some photos of the st gauges in my tdci :P

Like the sound of that! This mod is at the back of my mind...sometimes I want it, other times I couldn't be arsd. I have the dash pocket though, so that would save having to cut it and that. Had even thought about just putting one in for looks alone, but that would hardly be worth it. 

As much as I love Lenny's guide and his finished results, I'd never have the time, skill or patience to swap out the gauges etc, so would have always been more tempted to have a bash at wiring up the standard ones.

Look forward to seeing your progress mate.

Also, is that your car in your Avatar and what other mods have you done? ST500 look-alike is it?

And finally, pretty sure I recognise that username from the bay! Where do you get all your bits and bobs from and more importantly, when are they gonna be for sale on here with obligatory member discount?! ;)

theo-5085

Definitely..how do i add images to my posts Gary? Sorry if it's a dumb question but i can't work it out :s . Yes, tis me from flea bay! Well noticed. I was told by practically everyone that it's not possible to wire up the originals, but i've managed it to a certain extent (read my previous posts if you haven't already). I've got a bit of a thing for only  using original parts etc. Yes that is my car in the avatar. I sold my st500 in January (i always told myself i wouldnt but i was offered a crazy crazy amount) since then, i've missed it but not missed the fuel costs and in the time it took me that i was choosing my next car, i picked up a tdci focus fairly cheaply and because of all the junk and spare parts i had in my garage and needing to move out, i thought instead of selling them, id try to make the best damn focus st500 replica possible! So that's what i did. I'm in the process of staring up a photo bucket account if you want to see more of it? What do you think so far? 

Also, i could probably get you most parts you need..was it something in particular you wanted? How much is member discount? 40 % ??! haha! ;)

salsheikh

go to photobucket and post everything that appears with [img....IMG] and add the link on here and it will display the pic once posted or you can even use the attach files method by click on more reply options.

Theo - i have seen your username before but i cant think where? ebay?

theo-5085

Hi Sal! Thanks for the info.  I'm working at the moment but will do it tomorrow around midday. Also i'll reply to any posts then as well. Unless i can get a ford owners club app on my phone, then i'll sneak off at work to check out what's going on! Yes, ebay. Or maybe you've met me and i've done some car related jobs for you in the past?

salsheikh

i've never been to cornwall!

deffo ebay - i have sold something to you!

Lenny
What did you splice in to in order to get the oil pressure gauge to work?
I've got a ford racing oil pressure gauge fitted but I've not fitted the sensor yet as I require an M16 T piece adaptor to fit the oil pressure sensor next to the factory one.
I could try connecting the sensor feed like you have done yours and see if I get a reading,
gforce

Think most of the guys on here use a photobucket account like Sal has mentioned there, but I just use the old fashioned way of uploading from the hard drive on the computer. I have my pics saved down, then select 'More Reply Options' below bottom right of the reply text box and it'll take you to a new page with the option of adding an attachment to your post. Just click browse and locate the picture file on your computer, then Attach when select it, and I click on 'Insert into Post' then as well.

That sounds great about your ST500 rep, must have made the decision pretty easy when you'd most parts lying around anyway. Look forward to seeing your pics cos it looks great in your avatar. Mine is having an ST kit fitted as we speak, so looking forward to getting it back in the next couple of days hopefully.

As for the bits and pieces you sell, just 40%?! Only kidding mate. There's nothing in particular I'm after at the minute to be honest, have gathered up most pieces at this stage. Was after an ashtray pocket for the centre console for an age, preferably in the silver carbon effect to match my stereo surround, but got one then on ebay for just £15 complete with lighter and it matches my gear surround perfectly. Unless you have an ST gauge pod and complete Recaro interior (either full leather or the blue/grey trim, I'm not picky!) going for peanuts by any chance?! :P

Lenny
Email me your images and I'll host them on my photobucket for you.
Then I'll put the codes of the images on your post to display.

leonard.Woods@live.ie
theo-5085

Hey up all! Here are two of the photos of my tdcI from this weekend! GForce, thanks for that, having a photobucket account does seem a bit laborious! It's easier to up these photos as an attachment! Alos, made selling the st 500 a lot easier when i got an offer of 14000 for it :P ;) for that much, i even delivered it and opened her up one last time along the m5, m6 .. anywhere i could get away with it to be honest! I've just finished changing over my roof lining too...pics attached :) let me know what you all think...oh, and obviously, i had to fit a ford dtandard sat nav..wiring was a complete bitch, taking me more than a week of 10 hour slots to do :s but the retro fit looks mint i think..!

theo-5085

Oh and Gary..15 quid??! Bet you were laughing, that's an absolute steal pal! :D Looking forward to seeing your st kit on your car..bet you're super excited too? I sold my last set of seats a few weeks ago, but i'll keep my ear to the ground for you in anything come up mate :) i might be getting an order in in the next few weeks and there might be a gauge pod in there..never really know what i'm getting till i open up the box...i'll let you know :) i once found a dried up toad in one of my boxes...there was a ridiculous joke that someone made up to go with it but yeah..i was a bit surprised finding that fella up in there! And lenny..my mate and i used the loom of the nav to test, and then hardwired it in via the cars main loom... 

gforce

Jeez mate, that is some serious work going into that, fair play to you! I read a complete thread over on the STOC forum about retro-fitting the Denso nav unit, so know just how laborious it is...full dash out job, so you obviously know what you're doing! I had contemplated doing it on my old Mondeo, but having read that thread I mentioned, never even thought about it on the Focus! I do love the Denso unit though.

That price was too good to say no to alright, bet that last journey was bitter-sweet.

In a weak attempt to get this thread back on topic... Are you gonna invest in performance mods on the TDCi, or maybe you already have? What is it stock? The 2.0 like mine is 136, but with a few mods like exhaust and intercooler followed by a good remap they can put out 180ish I think. Although it'd never be a 500, with loads of torque it could still put a smile on your face. I'd love to look into the performance side of things on mine, but I'll get the looks right first!

Car will be ready on Thursday apparently, but I'll be picking it 20miles into a 500 mile round trip and won't be back home til Saturday, so will be then at the earliest before I get any pics up. Will fit my RS spoiler when I do get back and put some pics up for opinions...still undecided on it myself but won't know til I see it all fitted.

Don't worry about the interior mate, just wishful thinking really. I've enough on my plate at the min expenses-wise and a new exhaust and wheel refurb are top of the mod shopping list to compliment the kit. If you did have one turn up it would only tempt me! Wouldn't mind getting a few boxes of surprises like that mate, haha. In fairness, I'm a serious bargain hunter, my own polite way of admitting I'm tight! I've found that with patience, most bits and pieces can be picked up on the cheap.

I'll probably put up in full detail my progress from start to 'finish' once I get my car back and get the pics uploaded. Think you should do the same mate, start your own build thread as people would be very interested in it.

One other question - your steering wheel. I notice you've the 4-spoke but might want to keep it with the cruise control buttons...but I'm thinking a man of your ability and Knorr-how might be able to come up with an OEM version of the ST 3-spoke wheel complete with cruise control...what you reckon?

Steve

Ford Focus ST Alloys  or Ford RS Alloys

Also Chips work wonders

theo-5085

Back breaking would be putting it lightly gary, but so so worth it. or maybe not? haha. we shall see. Yes yes, getting back on track, sorry pal.  My biggest thing at the moment is getting this damn gauge to fully work..turbo issue is frustrating, but  i got a couple of people on it so hopefully we'll come up with a solution! and yes the steering wheel..interesting..i'll see if i can come up with a solution...its the cruise control thats the big issue :s

Yes, i went for the 1.8 because its a ford engine, and doesn't have a damned DPF (which is my absolute hate) but your tax is probably cheaper to be fair :P ...heard so much about the others..have you had any problems with yours? performance wise, i've had a remap, custom exhaust, might have played with the turbo somewhat (wink wink) i've done a massive big disc conversion and took it onto the dyno few weeks back and it was running 169... one off st170 spec :( so not bad. It ices them though because of the torque :P

I'll keep you posted about the seats, also if you hear anything bout the gauges let me know ;) Ford Fair this year? or huntingdon?

salsheikh

Theo, i think you need to start your own thread - you've taken over from the OP!

i love what you have done to the car so far!

i only know of one car to have the gauges working but so far the person has eluded us from getting into contact - search it on youtube as there is a video.

so, what sort of stuff can you get hold of???

theo-5085

Hey Sal :) it's annoying me i can't think what i bought off you? any ideas? And thank you mate, the compliment means a lot to me. What's OP (sorry :s) did not realise someone else had managed the gauges? He's clearly a glory hunter, on a quest to keep it a secret!

What stuff you after? I once got a full set of RS interior seats and door cards within 48 hours of someone asking me if i could get them..think that's been my biggest achievement in terms of parts acquisition :P (was a bit of the lady luck on my side too mind you :P ) 

FOCA

Foca..thanks for your reply. What are the chances of getting them both to run off the original gauges though? i don't want to have to put aux gauges on the apillar or anything like that..trying to keep in standard by using what's there..? I know the turbo pipes on the ST have solenoids on them..the TDCIs on't... :( have you done this (what you've suggested to me) yourself to your focus? 

I run a Mondeo with some minor mods

The ST225 boost gauge (in the ST225 pod) is designed to work with the ST225, there is nowhere to hook it up on the TDCI because the TDCI (probably) does not have a boost gauge sender, you must add one (eg an ST225 one or one from an aftermarket gauge, phisically connected to the inlet manifold/ boost hoses) on top of that the TDCI probably runs at a higher boost pressure than the ST225 (you would need to check this) so it may need re-calibrating - this could probably be done with a potentiometer/ variable resistor

You could set up a second temporary boost gauge to help calibrate the ST225 one

salsheikh

Hey Sal :) it's annoying me i can't think what i bought off you? any ideas? And thank you mate, the compliment means a lot to me. What's OP (sorry :s) did not realise someone else had managed the gauges? He's clearly a glory hunter, on a quest to keep it a secret!

What stuff you after? I once got a full set of RS interior seats and door cards within 48 hours of someone asking me if i could get them..think that's been my biggest achievement in terms of parts acquisition :P (was a bit of the lady luck on my side too mind you :P ) 

Theo - if you have a 1.8 like then you can connect the the small pipe on the pipe coming from the intercooler going into the inlet manifold. there is a sensor nearby so not sure if you can hook into it to give you what you need,

i had a look and now i cant find what i sold you!

this is the youtube vid of the working gauges ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J39qrbeAdk

he said he created a thread on here on how he made them work? - his name is daniel johnston

theo-5085

Ahh, i do Sal, yes.  Thanks for that, i'll check the sensor tomorrow and see if i can hook it up! That video is good, and i love the gauges he's done but on youtube it says thats hes put different gauges in but hidden them? It would appear that his 'turbo/boost' gauge is more like an acceleration gauge, because the needle wouldn't be moving at 20mph! Turbo kicks in around 40 mph! so not sure what he's done there...? The oil temperature appears to be off too - think he's probably wired up the engine temp gauge instead? All in all though, still cool :P You seem to know your stuff :D any pics? And..huntingdon or ford fair this year? you going?

salsheikh

going ford fair - free tickets as i subscribed to fast ford mag!

search for my threads as i may have put a thread up about where to connect the hose for the boost gauge.

lenny, arthur, foca and a few others know there stuff, what i know i have picked up from them

theo-5085

Hey guys, sorry for not having been in touch..i'm having a denso navigation blowout weekend! i've decided i want my voice commands feature to work, so i need to replce one of the modules on the deso nav and i also need to swap over the chassis as some of my mounting clips are broken..i though i might as well swap over some of my black boring buttons to silver ones....i have two nav systems on the floor of my girlfriend's house at the moment..all in about 25 different pieces...ever got the feeling you've bitten off more than you can chew :s ??

salsheikh

ha ha mate i've been there too!

you say you have a modified turbo so please prety please give us more info on this as i thought it wasnt possible?

what map/bhp are you running Theo?

theo-5085

Hey Sal, sorry when i said i've played around with the turbo i meant ive changed the intercooler! but i had some power issues last week/ not really sure what so i have reverted back to the original one for the time being until i can get to the bottom of the problem.  Also, thanks for the info about the t piece..but that would be a vacuum wouldnt it? and i'm after an electronic reading :( . my car showed up 169 bhp on the dyno...not sure what map but i can dig the papers out if you like? i didn't kno you had a denso system as well??

salsheikh

sorry mate but whats a denso system?

169bhp - thats impressive as most tuning maps only show upto 150bhp!

t-piece mate so deffo vacuum - will the sensors not be any good? AJT (Alan) on here is having a go at wiring the original boost gauge so fingers crossed he manages to do this....

FOCA

Ahh,  It would appear that his 'turbo/boost' gauge is more like an acceleration gauge, because the needle wouldn't be moving at 20mph! Turbo kicks in around 40 mph! so not sure what he's done there...?  ?

Turbo should start boosting soon after the throttle is opened in 1st   the boost build - up is gradual as the turbine spools up -on my car i get the gauge moving from (approx) 5mph and full boost at 10-15mph - it depends on the car/ engine/ setup/ gearing/ turbo-lag - if the boost does not come in till 40mph its going to be really slow off the line/ mark!  

Does it do 60 in 1st?

Full Colour Version: Focus Tdci Performance Mods
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.