Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club > Ford Focus Guides
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Stoney871
There are websites that translate other sites.
It does tend to be a bit disjointed and literal but you can pretty much get the gist of what they're on about.
Richiemac
Got it to connect earlier. Just need to find a translator now !

[img]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/rmcgarry2009/screenshot01Mar070833.jpg[/img]
Tonis_T
Just an update: I went to Ford dealrship and they activated cruise control. Everything works except dashboard cc symbol wont lit up when cc is activated. I know that the symbol is there and it will lit up when I dio the all leds working test with computer reset button. It's an minor thing and otherwise cc works like it's ment to work.
Considering that aftermarket cc would have been about 400-500€, new wheel from dealerhip was quoted for 700€ and now i got used wheel for 85€ (I had 4 spoke wheel so didn't need new airbag) and activation for 23€ I have no complaints.
Pidu
Very good price for activation. The dashboard cc light has to be activated as well in IC, so if you have a chance ask your dealer about it. I had to ask the dealer to do this.
sparkymark75
[quote name='Tonis_T' timestamp='1331132649' post='171145']
Just an update: I went to Ford dealrship and they activated cruise control. Everything works except dashboard cc symbol wont lit up when cc is activated. I know that the symbol is there and it will lit up when I dio the all leds working test with computer reset button. It's an minor thing and otherwise cc works like it's ment to work.
Considering that aftermarket cc would have been about 400-500€, new wheel from dealerhip was quoted for 700€ and now i got used wheel for 85€ (I had 4 spoke wheel so didn't need new airbag) and activation for 23€ I have no complaints.
[/quote]Where did you manage to get the wheel? I've been searching for over a week and haven't found one yet.
Tonis_T
[quote name='sparkymark75' timestamp='1331133922' post='171150']
Where did you manage to get the wheel? I've been searching for over a week and haven't found one yet.
[/quote]
I live in Estonia and for some reason most of focuses that we have here don't have cc so I didn't get it from here. Hovewer in finland they have website where you can check out junkyeards all over the country. So I just kept my eyes open for low mileage wheel with cc buttons and booked it. I have meny coworkers in finland, they went purchaced it and when they had some things to do in Estonia they brought it over to me (guys from the company were willing to post it to Estonia but since it was more convinient for them to use someone local who would act as middle we went that way. They did hovewer booked it under my name). So not as easy process as I would have hoped for but it got the things done. You might want to check out few websites and talk to junkyard owners it they are willing to send items abroad. There are 2 major sites I kept checking out: the finnish one: [url="http://www.autopurkaamot.com/"]http://www.autopurkaamot.com/[/url] and swedish one (much more stuff): [url="http://en.bildelsbasen.se/"]http://en.bildelsbasen.se/[/url] go and check them out. Maybe you will get lucky and they are willing to send stuff in your way.

P.S. I forgot to say that the Swedish mileage is then number that is on the site x10 and it is in km (some kind of wierd swedish habbit). So for example this wheel: [url="http://en.bildelsbasen.se/?link=item&post_id=21588833"]http://en.bildelsbas...ost_id=21588833[/url] mileage is 5285 miles on the web page. This actually means that the odometer is showing 52850 kilometers.
The great thing in scandinavia is that if insurance says that car is to damaged after accident then you have to dismantle it. This means pretty nice supply of used parts.

P.P.S They use google translator to translate the pages in http://www.autopurkaamot.com/ and it wont translate correctly. Anyhow after selecting your ford model then on partlist "ohjauspyörä" means steeringwheel.
Preee
Nice one Richie

I need to try and read now how to get it connected to mine , i see characters and zone to russian so that the ??????????????????? are the proper russian letters
Preee
Ok i managed to get my AS BUILT data and inserted in OFFLINE mode in the program and that side of things seems to work and provides me with various ticked/unticked boxes.

i can select 2 of the tabs in the program.

but still with out knowing what anything actually is i#m not going to go live haha incase i do some damage.

For me if i could find out what every thing means i will try

Auto lock
RDS display
Shift change indicator
Auto windscreen heater

none of the above work on my car at the moment.

Ok so who is going to do a crash course in Russian :)

Ьн Кгыышфт шы тщ пщщв фе фдд
Richiemac
Quick update..........just enabled RDS in instrument cluster. Displays radio info and cd track number in the display.......... :)

Pidu
[quote name='Richiemac' timestamp='1331158661' post='171265']
Quick update..........just enabled RDS in instrument cluster. Displays radio info and cd track number in the display.......... :)
[/quote]

Nice :) I want it, and the instant fuel consumption too.

So lets start the translation.

Pls note - I have marked some positions with "?" if I do not know how to translate it or I'm not sure what is it for.

Welcome screen
Рабочий VIN - vehicle VIN
COM порт - COM port of ELM
Скорость - boud speed ELM - computer - standard 33840
Открыть порт - opens ELM port and proceeds to next software screen
Оффлайн режим - proceeds to next software screen offline

Next software screen

Buttons on the felt side
Прочитать конфигурацию - read car configuration
Записать конфигурацию - write configuration into car computer
Открыть конфигурацию - open configaration from file
Прочитать из AS-BUILT - here you put proper AS-BUILT code
Генерировать AS-BUILT - generate AS-BUILT code

Bookmark BCM (GEM part 1) (Middle Speed CAN)

1 Все ЭСП одним касанием - ?
2 Центральный замок - Central locking system
3 Дверные CAN-модули - door CAN modules
4 Отпирание в два этапа - two stage car opening (first drivers door only, next - other doors)
5 Задние двери - rear doors
6 Заводская сигнализация - factory alarm system
7 Сирена с АКБ - alarm siren with battery
8 войное запирание - deadlock
9 Датчик объема - ?
10 Автозапирание при начале движения - auto locking while driving
11 Автоматическое включение обогревов - heated windows auto activation
12 Управление ЦЗ по CAN-шине - central locking system CAN control (?)
13 Дистанционное управление ЦЗ и багажником - central locking and trunk remote control (?)
14 Мигание на 1-е нажатие и/или - confirmation (with indicators) after firs press of remote control or
15 мигание на 2-е - after second
16 Открывание багажника 2-м нажатием - Opening luggage compartment on 2nd press of remote control
17 Двойное запирание на 1-е нажатие - deadlock on the 1st press of remote control
18 Мигание при двойном запирании на 1-е нажатие - Blinking when deadlocking on 1st press

Bookmark BCM (GEM part 2) (Middle Speed CAN)
19 Датчик температуры - outside temperature sensor
20 Датчик света - light sensor
21 Омыватель фар - headlight washers
22 Датчик дождя - rain sensor
23 Обогрев лобового стекла - Heated windshield
24 Круиз-контроль - tempomat
25 Газоразрядные фары (HID) - xenon headlights
26 Кондиционер - air conditioning
27 Привод люка/Таксометр - ?
28 Ford Power - start button
29 Задний стеклоочиститель - rear window wiper
30 Задний стеклоочиститель при включении ЗХ - rear wiper auto activation on reverse (3 moves)
31 Подсветка околодверного пространства - door area illumination (?)
32 Дополнительный электро-отопитель (ЭПВС) - additional electric heating
33 Дополнительный отопитель на топливе (ППП) - additional heating (webasto)
34 Отмена сканирования салона климатом - ?
35 Электрический стояночный тормоз - electric parking brake

Bookmark IPC (IC - cluster) (High Speed CAN)

Вид панели приборов - Type of instrument panel
Рестай - facelift model
Дорестайл - pre-facelift model

36 AWD (Kuga)
37 ABS
38 ЭГУР - EHPAS
39 IVD (дорестайл) - ?
40 Мгновенный расход - instant fuel consumption
41 Круиз-контроль - cruise control
42 Датчик омывающей жидкости - Washer fluid sensor
43 Температура реальная - real engine temperature
44 Температура заводская - simulated engine temperature
45 Навигация - navigation
46 Спидометр Focus ST - Focus ST speedometer
47 Звук заднего хода - reversing sound
48 Электрический стояночный тормоз - Electric parking brake
49 Оповещение о непристегнутых ремнях без-ти - Seat belt warning
50 Дополнительный отопитель на топливе (ППП) - Additional heater system (webasto?)
51 Голосовое управление - voice-activated control
52 ESP (отключение в панели приборов) - turns off ESP option in the instrument panel
53 Система контроля давления в шинах (DDS) - tire pressure monitoring system
54 Часы - clock
55 Радио/RDS - Radio / RDS display
56 Телефон - phone info display
57 Расход км/литр - Consumption km / liter
58 Индикатор переключения передач / Отсечка - Gear shift indicator (I think it is for AT)
59 Ford ECO Mode
60 Auto Start/Stop
Richiemac
Excellent work, thank you. I have been second guessing every click i made but managed the RDS by trial and error. Now i can use this with a bit more confidence .........well done :)
Richiemac
How do i set characters and zone to Russian by the way ?
Pidu
Windows XP - go to Control Panel, then Language and Regional Options - all is there.
Preee
Peter , fantastic work thank you so much i'm going out to have a play in a minute to see what i can do :)

Not sure about these:

1 =All ESP one-touch ( Maybe ESP dash button)
9 =sensor volume (maybe radio auto volume set)sensor
27 =drive hatch / taximeter ? (no idea)
31 =footwell lights (maybe)
34 =Canceling scan interior climate ( maybe stop climate control auto)
Preee
:( Can't get it to connect

elm327 v1.5a
tried loads of ports and bit rates
win 7 starter

all other software connects and works

I'm going to try my win xp laptop :(
Preee
:) Ok i'm happy now

What i was doing wrong was not typing the port number i was putting "1" what i should have been putting in was "COM1"

So what have i turned on.

IPC

Radio info
Phone info
Gear shift change light
Reverse sound ------- very annoying i will turn that back off.

BCM

Can bus error and will not connect.
So i'm guessing this will need the modified elm327

but i'mhappy at the moment :)

Richie What else have you turned on so far?

Peter If i get a screen shot of the other screens will you be able to translate those ?
Preee
Quick update.

radio info displays radio station or frequency , CD track , but does not display music via memory stick.

Phone info displays incoming call info

Shift change although displays when you start the car , i held at 4000 rpm and as of yet has not displayed while driving.( Wife will probably get that one to display)

Reverse sound , is totally annoying and i will switch that off.

:)
Pidu
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1331229227' post='171449']
Peter If i get a screen shot of the other screens will you be able to translate those ?
[/quote]

I could try, but do not promise anything. It would be better if you could copy and paste the phrases from the software. My Russian is not any better than yours, I have to use translator and google and retyping Russian letters takes too much time.

[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1331232888' post='171462']
Shift change although displays when you start the car , i held at 4000 rpm and as of yet has not displayed while driving.( Wife will probably get that one to display)
[/quote]

Which option is it? When I was translating I haven't seen anything like that.

To connect to GEM medium speed is required so ELM has to be modified. Now you can connect only at high speed.

Maybe you could let us know step by step instruction for this software? How to connect with car, are as-built codes required or it is enough to read configuration from car computer?
Richiemac
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1331229227' post='171449']
:) Ok i'm happy now

What i was doing wrong was not typing the port number i was putting "1" what i should have been putting in was "COM1"

So what have i turned on.

IPC

Radio info
Phone info
Gear shift change light
Reverse sound ------- very annoying i will turn that back off.

BCM

Can bus error and will not connect.
So i'm guessing this will need the modified elm327

but i'mhappy at the moment :)

Richie What else have you turned on so far?

[/quote]

I've done the radio info, eco mode ( doesn't work), shift change ( only get red arrow at top end revs) which i think it always did anyway ? Did the phone also but all it does is switch layout the display when a call is made, doesn't say 'call or phone'......but for the radio info it was worth it. I'm bringing the lead to a techie nut i know later to get him to modify it, so hopefully next week i can have a rummage at the GEM............:)
Preee
[quote name='Richiemac' timestamp='1331281594' post='171560']
I've done the radio info, eco mode ( doesn't work), shift change ( only get red arrow at top end revs) which i think it always did anyway ? Did the phone also but all it does is switch layout the display when a call is made, doesn't say 'call or phone'......but for the radio info it was worth it. I'm bringing the lead to a techie nut i know later to get him to modify it, so hopefully next week i can have a rummage at the GEM............ :)
[/quote]

Richie if you get the lead modified can you take pictures along the way so we can make a guide on how to modify it ?
Pidu
Focus steering wheel with cruise control buttons for sale:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-GHIA-2005-2008-4-SPOKE-STEERING-WHEEL-LEATHER-STEREO-CONTROLS-/170799850007?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c476e217"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-GHIA-2005-2008-4-SPOKE-STEERING-WHEEL-LEATHER-STEREO-CONTROLS-/170799850007?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c476e217[/url]

Maybe somebody will be interested.
Richiemac

OK.........got my lead back earlier today after being modified. I had already activated cruise control in the instrument cluster before the lead was modified. So i went out and activated it in the GEM using the new configuration.............and it works !! I didn't need to do anything in the PCM at all.
Just come in from a spin on the motorway using my newly added feature and i'm delighted.....
Working factory cruise control from a 15 quid ebay lead........fantastic bit of kit.
Well done to Pidu and Pree on this one..........what a forum......cheers guys :)
Pidu
Nice Richiemac, well done.

To be honest you were lucky, as not always CC is working without PCM activation. Do not know why, but it looks that some cars have CC already enabled in PCM, others don't. Good for you ;)
TDCiST
Just read this thread... Its extremely interesting...

So basically what were saying is, its a consumers version of IDS??
Richiemac
[quote name='Pidu' timestamp='1331495687' post='172102']
Nice Richiemac, well done.

To be honest you were lucky, as not always CC is working without PCM activation. Do not know why, but it looks that some cars have CC already enabled in PCM, others don't. Good for you ;)
[/quote]

Thank you Peter for putting us on to this. I activated it in GEM and then tried to access the PCM but couldn't seem to connect to it..........so i thought that was it.....2 thirds of the way and stuffed !!
Later went for a spin and just thought i'd press 'cruise on ' button , not really expecting anything....... and it worked !!
This makes the car for me to be honest.........always have had and use cruise control and was totally lost without it.......guess i'll be keeping it now :)
Next up is to put it on the wifes S-Max so i'm on the hunt for a wheel if you come across one..........Richie.
Richiemac
Lots of wheels on here...........

[url="http://moto.allegro.pl/listing.php/search?string=kierownica+ford+focus&category=620&sg=0"]http://moto.allegro.pl/listing.php/search?string=kierownica+ford+focus&category=620&sg=0[/url]
Pidu
That is were I bought mine. At the moment I have seen only 2 steering wheels with CC for Focus and lots of them for C-Max. Problem is sellers do not post to UK and most of them do not speak English, but prices are low and it might be worth arranging postage from Poland.
Richiemac
Its a great site. I registered with PAYU and contacted a couple of sellers and they are willing to post to IRL, so i purchased a couple of bits for the S Max already :)
Pidu
This is like e-bay here, Allegro is much more popular there.
Psyence
Hi,

This is my first post here, i have read this forum with interest and have installed the cruise control functions on my 2008 CMAX Titanium.

I have been to a freindly garage, while there using the FORD IDS we confirmed that the cruise control is enabled in the GEMS & IC, however we couldnt confirm that it was enabled in the PCM.

Does anybody know how (using the FORD IDS) you enabled the cruise control option in the PCM?

Or alternatively can anybody recommend a garage in relatively near Milton Keynes who can do this for me ??

Thanks
Preee
Never used Ford IDS , but i know that with ELMconfig and the ELM 327 modified cable you can access it and switch it on.
kell
just checked for switches and there dose not appear to be a switch on clutch pedal or am i looking in wrong place ? its a shame as i have found steering wheel with cruise control on it.
In the pic of clutch switch i cannot see the black and blue brake switches which i do have that is why i am asking the question or is my quest for cruise over ?
Pidu
Clutch sensor is required for CC. I've been told by Ford mechanic that he has never seen focus without clutch and break switches, but you never know which part Ford forgot to fit in your car :)
Check one more time. In case it is not there maybe you will find unplugged connector above clutch pedal and you could add the sensor?
Psyence
A further update in the battle to enable cruise control on my C-Max.

Today i took my car to the Ford Garage in Peterborough who have enabled the cruise control option on a number of people cars. They battles away for 1 1/2 hours before telling me that the Ford IDS system would not allow them to activate the cruise control. They explained that in other peoples cars when they have reprogrammed (may be reinitialised) the option is available.

They said that it is likely to be one of two possible problems

1) The ECM doesnt contain the software internally to enable
2) There is a wiring fault

Does anybody know if the Ford ECUs are all the same but with different software versions or are there different versions of the electronics ?

I guess one option would be to replace the PCM (ECU) with one which will allow me to enable cruise control but i think the cost is going to be crazy.

Does anybody here have any ideas where i can go from here ?

Thanks
Preee
Psyence
Before you start throwing money away , buy an ELM327 cable v1.5 off Ebay and try either ELM-FF2 or ELMconfig as the options are present in both program's to activate CC on your C-Max.

£11 for the cable
£2 for a switch and 15 minutes worth of soldering is better than even looking at an ECU
Psyence
Hi Preee

Thanks for answering my post. I already own an ELM327 and have now tried the unoffical (FF2 / ELMConfig) methods as well as the offical approach via a Ford garage. In both cases the cruise control wouldnt work, and i do believe that the problem probably lies with the PCM.

What im trying to establish is; are the electronics is the PCM always the same ? does the module have a "personality" which is configured by software. If so the i hope i can simply get the PCM software altered.

What the Ford garage told me was, for other cars when the have enabled the cruise Control option, they simply activated it in the GEMS, HEC and in the PCM. However on my car it wasnt showing up as an option to be enabled on the PCM. And it is this that is making me think that there must be a personality descriptor that tells the Ford IDS system what the PCM is capable of.

If you have any more thoughts or ideas please let me know....
Preee
Psyence
Hi i'm not sure of an answer regarding the PCM but if i come across anything i will pass any information over to you.
Psyence
Hi Preee,

Thanks ....

I have been reading up more in to this topic, and over in the Fiesta forums they have been enabling Cruise control simply by altering the AS-BUILT Data and uploading it to the PCM, IC & Gems module. (Very similar to using the ELM-FF2 or ELMConfig software except that they can only talk to GEM & IC).

Does anybody know how to reload the AS-BUILT data using the Ford IDS system ?

Thanks Psyence.
jarp
Hi,

Just tried to enable CC using ELMConfig but no luck. I have all the switches and and wires on place and, but my GEM is model-C which may or may not be compatible. Though I just may have some luck and switched srteering wheel with CC buttons to my Ford Focus mk2 2005. Then I used GEM input test and indeed I got beeps and bleeps for each CC buttons. Finally I enabled CC in HEC and GEM moduels using ELMConfig and took my card to ride. However, CC buttons do nothing at all.

Does anybody have any idea I could try? Is Ford dealer able to do some further programming which s required and cannot be done by ELMCofnig or is my GEM module just too old for this? Is it possible to exchange new GEM module from some scrapped car?

Thaks!

Best regards,
J
Preee
[quote name='jarp' timestamp='1335619920' post='179942']
Hi,

Just tried to enable CC using ELMConfig but no luck. I have all the switches and and wires on place and, but my GEM is model-C which may or may not be compatible. Though I just may have some luck and switched srteering wheel with CC buttons to my Ford Focus mk2 2005. Then I used GEM input test and indeed I got beeps and bleeps for each CC buttons. Finally I enabled CC in HEC and GEM moduels using ELMConfig and took my card to ride. However, CC buttons do nothing at all.

Does anybody have any idea I could try? Is Ford dealer able to do some further programming which s required and cannot be done by ELMCofnig or is my GEM module just too old for this? Is it possible to exchange new GEM module from some scrapped car?

Thaks!

Best regards,
J
[/quote]

I know i'm stating the obvious but you did try and test it while driving ?
I know it does nothing until at least 30 mph

*EDIT* sorry re-read your post you already tried that
jarp
[quote name='Preee' timestamp='1335624941' post='179961']
I know i'm stating the obvious but you did try and test it while driving ?
[/quote]

Yes I did, I tested it in various speeds and nothing. I'm starting to suspect that PCM module does also need to be reconfigured as somebody already stated and ELMConfig cannot do that, et least yet...
jarp
Yes, I read the russian forums using Google Translate and indeed three modules needs to be reconfigured for cruise control:

GEM
HEC
PCM

Using ELMConfig or ELM-FF2 only first two can be reconfigured. Bugger. It seems I need to visit Ford dealer...
Preee
Maybe civil-zz will update the PCM function soon or is working on it , goto his forum and ask when /if he intends to activate the PCM tab in ELMconfig
mason570
Just a quick question. I want to fit the 3 spoke steering wheel to my car. Will the airbag from my current 4 spoke steering wheel fit the 3 spoke cover or will i need a whole new airbag kit? Car is 2006 ford focus by the way. Thanks :)
Stoney871
I do believe the airbags are exactly the same, you just need to swap the covers over which requires a bit of butchering to remove the old one.
Pidu
[quote name='mason570' timestamp='1335796018' post='180253']
Just a quick question. I want to fit the 3 spoke steering wheel to my car. Will the airbag from my current 4 spoke steering wheel fit the 3 spoke cover or will i need a whole new airbag kit? Car is 2006 ford focus by the way. Thanks :)
[/quote]

You will need only airbag cover:

[url="http://www.ebay.de/itm/AIRBAG-LENKRAD-COVER-ABDECKUNG-DECKEL-FORD-FOCUS-/230615712502?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item35b1c482f6"]http://www.ebay.de/itm/AIRBAG-LENKRAD-COVER-ABDECKUNG-DECKEL-FORD-FOCUS-/230615712502?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item35b1c482f6[/url]

Very good price BTW (postage included).
Paul-S
Great walkthrough Pidu, been looking for a steering wheel for a few weeks now, those wheels are rarer than unicorns.

Cheers
Paul-S
Pidu
Standard 3-spoke? Really? In this case I have to bring next time my 3-spoke leather steering wheel to UK for sale :)
civil-zz
Hello!
For CC activation you have to perform changes in three modules - GEM, HEC (IC) and PCM. ELMConfig is able to work only with GEM and HEC. I can tell you why. There are some differences btw CONFIGURATION and REPROGRAMMING. configuration is mean that you only change some storage parameters in module nonvolatile memory. And reprogramming is mean that you totally erase all controller microprogram with it's calibration and parameters, and then write back a new one with new parameters which you want to change. So, all modules in Ford Focus can be configured excluding PCM, it need a reprogram to change a work parameters (it' s exactly so, it was performed by module developers for reasons unknown to me). Configuration is relatively simple procedure, but reprogramming requires special skills and i don't have them yet. IDS can do both procedures and for end user there is no differences, but for third-party developer it's a huge one.
jarp
[quote name='civil-zz' timestamp='1335871638' post='180386']
Hello!
For CC activation you have to perform changes in three modules - GEM, HEC (IC) and PCM. ELMConfig is able to work only with GEM and HEC. I can tell you why. There are some differences btw CONFIGURATION and REPROGRAMMING. configuration is mean that you only change some storage parameters in module nonvolatile memory. And reprogramming is mean that you totally erase all controller microprogram with it's calibration and parameters, and then write back a new one with new parameters which you want to change. So, all modules in Ford Focus can be configured excluding PCM, it need a reprogram to change a work parameters (it' s exactly so, it was performed by module developers for reasons unknown to me). Configuration is relatively simple procedure, but reprogramming requires special skills and i don't have them yet. IDS can do both procedures and for end user there is no differences, but for third-party developer it's a huge one.
[/quote]

Thanks civil-zz, your explanation makes sense! So it seems that activating cruise control does require visit to garage having Ford IDS or similar hardware and software. Too bad as my local Ford mechanic would charge enormous money for the job (EUR 160) :(

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.